Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2017, 03:16 PM

1,675 posts, read 2,789,495 times

Advertisements

Yes, it's hard to get a teaching job in SJC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2017, 06:23 AM

9,395 posts, read 8,363,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snuffybear View Post
Yes, it's hard to get a teaching job in SJC.
This is surprising considering the enormous influx of students into the system. One would think they'd be hiring dozens of new teachers every year to accommodate the new schools being built, as well as the already overburdened SJC classes. Is it hard because the requirements are more strict in SJC vs., say, Duval...ie: Master's Degree requirement?

Old 12-13-2017, 05:25 PM

In certain schools there are hundreds of applicants for each job. I think a lot of teachers have moved to SJC hoping to get a job, and teachers from Duval try every year to get into St. Johns County. But perhaps it's good timing with new schools opening.

Old 12-14-2017, 07:59 AM

103 posts, read 139,744 times
If you are open to more central and southern parts of the county, you may find fewer applicants. I have 2 relatives, new to the area with no ties, that were hired rather quickly after expanding their applications further south of all the bedroom communities. Perhaps this trend will continue and ALL of SJC will have A rated schools. I hear a lot of frustrations from parents related to the overcrowding in the newer "A" schools... and from teachers relating to the ability to do their jobs efficiently without all the helicopter parents, lol. Don't get me wrong, I am all about parent involvement and the correlation it has to student success, have just observed so many flocking to this area with super high expectations and those expectations falling short.
We are losing our outstanding principal to one of these new schools next week. Some current teachers at schools where numbers will decrease (due to the new schools opening), will be hired at the new school...essentially following students who get rezoned. So that will shuffle some current SJC teachers around who are no longer needed at their current schools, leaving fewer vacancies in the new schools.
My point, if SJC is your desire, be open to all schools. Some have many positives to offer!

Old 12-18-2017, 06:59 PM

4 posts, read 5,452 times
This is exactly why it is perplexing that with St Johns County being such a sought after place to teach, you would think they would be more selective. To recycle problem teachers around the county would seem to be a more common practice in less desirable places to teach. Are you saying that Bartram Trail High would be a school within SJC that would not attract teachers given that is is not a new school ?

Old 12-19-2017, 05:21 PM

All the schools are good....and all public schools have excellent, good and bad teachers (even in top school districts, trust me!). Bartram Trail HS is an excellent school. I would worry more about the large HS size and some incidents there, than I would about getting a bad teacher.

They ARE selective. But if they aren't fully happy with a teacher at one school, they might move the teacher to another school for a second chance, where there's no word-of-mouth on that teacher. But I've also seen them let teachers go after a year or two. There is no tenure in St. Johns County, if I understand correctly - they are on annual contracts.

Old 12-23-2017, 04:24 PM

4 posts, read 5,452 times
Indeed everyone deserves second chances. Thanks for the proper perspective. Happy Holidays everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville