Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2008, 03:01 PM

34 posts, read 104,651 times

Advertisements

Hi ! now that ive finally somewhat settled from moving down from NJ to Jax, I have a question. My daughters (5 and 2) are coming down here in 2 weeks. First thing they'll ask is when can they go to Disney Land!! I have no clue where to begin...whats the best time to go, where can you get the cheapest tickets, average cost? does it make sense to break up the trip and go multiple day trips from jax to orlando or just spend a week there? Whats worth seeing there and what can be skipped? Both girls are into princesses and dora only at this point! Any advice is much appreciated! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2008, 03:30 PM

2,689 posts, read 3,963,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by punjabimunda View Post
Hi ! now that ive finally somewhat settled from moving down from NJ to Jax, I have a question. My daughters (5 and 2) are coming down here in 2 weeks. First thing they'll ask is when can they go to Disney Land!! I have no clue where to begin...whats the best time to go, where can you get the cheapest tickets, average cost? does it make sense to break up the trip and go multiple day trips from jax to orlando or just spend a week there? Whats worth seeing there and what can be skipped? Both girls are into princesses and dora only at this point! Any advice is much appreciated! Thanks!
during the week is always the best, next week will be bad because of spring break, when you go show your D/L and you can get the FLA resident rate for tickets try disney's website for deals and avoid unauthorized sites that say they'll give you cheap tix, they're almost always scams

Old 03-20-2008, 03:41 PM

725 posts, read 2,570,335 times
Now is the best time to go since the weather is cool. I'd drive down in the evening, have dinner/hotel and wake up next day and go to Disney. Drive back with two sleeping children. It's a very long day.

Last edited by Ryde41; 03-20-2008 at 03:45 PM.. Reason: clarity

Old 03-20-2008, 03:49 PM

92 posts, read 404,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryde41 View Post
Now is the best time to go since the weather is cool. I'd drive down in the evening, have dinner/hotel and wake up go to Disney. Drive back with two sleeping children. It's a very long day.
great idea right there!

Walt Disney World Resort - Detecting Browser Properties . . .

also, visit their site and look at what rides/shows/etc you think might interest the girls. maybe even have them at the site with you

Old 03-20-2008, 05:49 PM

196 posts, read 574,175 times
It will take almost exactly 2 hours to drive there which might make for a pretty long day for young ones. But if you do go over for one day, go to the Magic Kingdom. I agree with the others, go during the week. And if you can, I would wait until the beginning of May. Spring breaks run all through April... And if you can wait even longer September is the best time to go.

Florida residents do get discounts. You can get them at the gate or you can get them at AAA if you are a member.

Have fun!

Old 03-20-2008, 06:02 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,415,087 times
Disneyland is in California.
Disney World is in Florida.

Old 03-20-2008, 06:41 PM

321 posts, read 1,029,006 times
Default At least someone noticed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southlander View Post
Disneyland is in California.
Disney World is in Florida.
Thank you.

With children 5 & 2, if you can only do one day, it really should be MK. The value resorts are well-themed and nicely priced and would be worth at least one night, probably AFTER doing the park... because you are going to be pooped, too. Going during the week is best.

Old 03-20-2008, 08:11 PM

154 posts, read 645,577 times
At that age, do Magic Kingdom. Skip Epcot for sure. MGM & Animal Kingdom if you are staying multiple days. If you are on a budget, stay at one of the Disney Value Resorts and take the bus to the parks. Also, if you are going multiple days, get a 3 day Fl resident pass. You will want to get to Magic Kingdom when it opens or before to catch the boat or monarail then grab your first fastpass tickets. The later you wait, the longer the lines get. Get you tickets at the Disney hotel you are staying at. Below is Disney's Mom Panel. Have Fun, you will be worn out at the end of the day!!

Moms Panel | Walt Disney World Resort

Old 03-20-2008, 08:32 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,446,971 times
The last time I went to Disney, I stayed at The POP inside of the park. We had a little kid in tow (my friend's 5 yr old), so we wanted something kid-friendly, and The POP was really nice - I would stay there even without kids (and it's very inexpensive too). I've stayed at The Swan & The Dolphin in the past, and really, I think you can have as nice of a time in an $80/night place as a $400/night place in Disney...I did .

We did Magic Kingdom (a snooze for me, but it's great for the very little kids) and Animal Kingdom. I LOVE Animal Kingdom and the 5 yr old did too .

One more thing about The POP - you have your own dedicated bus around the parks from this one (no sharing with other hotels). It cost us only $10 more to stay inside the park than it would have to stay outside (using our Florida resident discount). Staying inside was totally worth it.

Old 03-21-2008, 07:42 AM

859 posts, read 3,616,779 times
if possible, best to stay there a night or two. it's a LOT of walking so bring good walking shoes for everyone. Kids will get tired early and possibly grumpy, so you want a place to relax or nap. Some suggests go first thing in the morning, check into the hotel in the mid afternoon to take a nap, and go back to enjoy the evening events.

Look out for residential rates, it's the cheapest it'll get, they don't check ID for kids so no worries there. but you will need a FL drivers license to get your FL rates.

If the kids are moving here and really loves all the activity in Orlando, consider getting a annual or '10-day hopper/no expiration' pass.
I've sent you a DM on where to look them up.

Tip, go to downtown disney to buy disney merchandises, it's a free public shopping center with free parking. Stores there carry almost everything that's in the park.

Disney World itself is huge, it can take over a week to experience everything. So take your time now that you're in FL!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville