Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2018, 09:23 AM

8,948 posts, read 20,372,776 times

Advertisements

This morning I read that a First Coast News Reported ask that question to the Mayor, due the how many homicides have happened in Jax within a week and a half of the start of 2017. He told the reporter that he budgeted money for 100 more JSO officers. He states that his commitment is still the safety of Jax citizens. He also told the reporter that if he wants any information concerning the operation of JSO, he's have to talk to the Sheriff. The reporter tried to talk get an interview with the Sheriff, but only got a written statement saying the same thing as always........."working on it" (in so many words).

A Crime Coalition on the North Side states that JSO isn't doing enough "in the areas of color" for crime.

I don't know, Jax sure isn't getting any better for crime and homicides.

Any idea of what to do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2018, 10:10 AM

9,394 posts, read 8,360,377 times
More cops on the street doesn't always equate to preventing violent crimes such as murder. What that does, in theory, is drive up arrests as there are more officers able to investigate and make arrests after the fact. Can't stop a Blood hell bent on murdering a Crip unless an officer is somehow miraculously in the same area at the same time. That's just the unfortunate reality.

Having said that, if these cops are indeed selected as part of gang task forces they should be proactively monitoring and investigating these gangs and getting more and more of these bad guys and gals off of the street, but that doesn't seem to be happening, at least not yet.

Remember this isn't just a local problem. When firearms and drugs are involved (almost always) the feds will get involved and often times the local police are limited in what they can and cannot do. ATF, DEA, FBI, etc. are also working many open cases.

Old 01-10-2018, 01:29 PM

1,342 posts, read 2,006,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
This morning I read that a First Coast News Reported ask that question to the Mayor, due the how many homicides have happened in Jax within a week and a half of the start of 2017. He told the reporter that he budgeted money for 100 more JSO officers. He states that his commitment is still the safety of Jax citizens. He also told the reporter that if he wants any information concerning the operation of JSO, he's have to talk to the Sheriff. The reporter tried to talk get an interview with the Sheriff, but only got a written statement saying the same thing as always........."working on it" (in so many words).

A Crime Coalition on the North Side states that JSO isn't doing enough "in the areas of color" for crime.

I don't know, Jax sure isn't getting any better for crime and homicides.

Any idea of what to do?

Yeah they are t doing enough until they justifiably shoot a “person of color”, or actually just try and be proactive . Plus we all know the black community is distrusting of the police to begin with, as they say “snitches get stitches”, so I just think these peop,e have no idea what they want. Can’t have it both ways, the climate created where cops are not proactive anymore you can thank Obama and his democratic ilk .

Old 01-10-2018, 01:32 PM

Go watch more Faux News, adults are speaking here.

Old 01-10-2018, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
Go watch more Faux News, adults are speaking here.
Just had to LOL when I read this. Actually, wife and I are big Star Wars fans. We were both in our late 20's when the first movie came out. Even went to Celebration in Orlando last year.

But, in all honesty, I do think that JSO's hands are tied (to a point) here. Those folks on the Northside, West Side and Northwest Side, want the violence to stop, but without JSO enforcing the law. "Don't dare shoot any of our people" JSO is told. Who would want to be an officer with JSO with that attitude going on?

Old 01-10-2018, 01:46 PM

6,420 posts, read 6,523,810 times
Does Jacksonville have a crime problem?

Old 01-10-2018, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0nyxStation View Post
Does Jacksonville have a crime problem?
That's what this thread is about.

Old 01-11-2018, 05:37 AM

3,337 posts, read 7,120,348 times
Truth be told, it falls on the residents to take back their hoods from the ghetto criminals. Criminals thrive in ghetto areas for three reasons: 1. They know people who live in the hood who won't tell the police what goes on. 2. In some way, the residents in the hood benefit from criminal activity and 3. The black community in Jacksonville is distrustful of police because of long-standing issues with police harassment. Periodically, there's crime marches through the Northside/NW side and the black areas of West Jacksonville and residents are free to join. On my free time, I work with at-risk youth in my old neighborhood to try and show them a better way; some of them respond well, others don't. Part of being a Northside representer involves doing what I can to make a difference in the Northside ghetto.

By the way, Jacksonville isn't big on gangs, we see gangs as cowardly down here. Jacksonville is mostly about what hood you're from, side of town, block, etc. We have cliques here, but no major gangs have tried to set up shop down here.

Old 01-16-2018, 10:33 PM

1,342 posts, read 2,006,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northside904 View Post
Truth be told, it falls on the residents to take back their hoods from the ghetto criminals. Criminals thrive in ghetto areas for three reasons: 1. They know people who live in the hood who won't tell the police what goes on. 2. In some way, the residents in the hood benefit from criminal activity and 3. The black community in Jacksonville is distrustful of police because of long-standing issues with police harassment. Periodically, there's crime marches through the Northside/NW side and the black areas of West Jacksonville and residents are free to join. On my free time, I work with at-risk youth in my old neighborhood to try and show them a better way; some of them respond well, others don't. Part of being a Northside representer involves doing what I can to make a difference in the Northside ghetto.

By the way, Jacksonville isn't big on gangs, we see gangs as cowardly down here. Jacksonville is mostly about what hood you're from, side of town, block, etc. We have cliques here, but no major gangs have tried to set up shop down here.

Well according to Florida2014, ....CNN will solve the crime problem

Old 01-17-2018, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sithlord72 View Post
Well according to Florida2014, ....CNN will solve the crime problem
Do you have anything intelligent to add to this discussion or are you just here to troll?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville