Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2018, 04:25 PM

20 posts, read 18,216 times

Advertisements

A question for homeowners who live in rural areas of Bradford County where there is no garbage collection.

Do you know exactly what the law really is about how to burn your own garbage? If so, where did you get your information from, specifically?

Did you ever get questioned by officials about what you were doing? What were you doing? Who questioned you? What did they say? What did you say? Did you get in trouble? What was the punishment?

Also, if anyone has any tips about how to burn garbage cheaper, faster or safer would be appreciated, for those of us who are new to handling hot stuff!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2018, 09:55 PM

542 posts, read 693,307 times
Please don't burn garbage. Just what we need a Moderator cut: new-comer moving here asking how to burn garbage. Take your garbage to the dump, recycle what you can.

* edited at request of OP

Last edited by nancy thereader; 02-04-2018 at 02:20 PM..

Old 01-31-2018, 12:06 PM

9,273 posts, read 8,170,071 times
I sure hope you're talking about yard waste and not not SOLID waste....as in real, actual garbage.

https://www.freshfromflorida.com/Div...rest-Fire-Laws

Old 02-04-2018, 01:21 AM

squarpeg,
You seem to have an issue with New Yorkers . . .
But anyway, for your enlightenment, I do not have a way to get my vast garbage pit to the dump. If I did, don't you think I would have done that already?

Old 02-04-2018, 09:37 AM

I am a New Yorker. My concern is that the reputation of other New Yorkers are besmirched by one of us coming down here and needlessly burning trash. That does not represent us well. There must be another solution than burning your trash. The people in my neighborhood, that have to deal with large amounts of trash or debri rent a dumpster. They will come pick it up for you when full.... Why not do that?

Old 02-04-2018, 02:36 PM

squarpeg,

I have an ugly garbage pit on my front lawn. It's ugly. It's dangerous. Wild animals come by while I'm asleep and tear everything up and then it blows all over the place. The fumes when inhaled can cause cancer. A lot of this garbage was probably left behind by past residents who lived where I now live. There is no garbage pickup service in this neck of the woods. I do not have transportation so there's no way to get the garbage to a city dump. Any money that I spend on renting a dumpster is money that I can NOT spend on buying myself a car. I can buy a $1 utility lighter & burn the garbage in place, way cheaper than spending hundreds of dollars on renting dumpsters. As soon as I get a car, I plan on taking any new garbage to the city dump like I used to when I last had a car.

What part of that is "needlessly" burning trash?

Oh and don't worry about the New Yorker reputation. I only have a handful of neighbors who could ever know about my garbage - and they are all New Yorkers too.

Old 02-04-2018, 04:06 PM

Wow, ok well I didn't realize things were so bad off. Your painting a very grim picture of your Florida life. Broke, no car, living with a large fuming cancer causing trash pit in your front yard. I don't even really know what to say at this point. If it is in a pit perhaps you could just cover it? If it is paper, food waste it will eventually compost, steel will rust and plastic will be there forever. Easy digging in Florida put soil on top and grass seed. Burning trash is illegal if it is.... household garbage including paper products, treated lumber, plastics, rubber materials, tires, pesticide, paint and aerosol containers. You may find trying to burn it to begin with a challenge depending on what is in there. You know, I think it might be possible, depending on your situation and sincerity, that you could get help from someone on this. I'm not sure but if you really are broke and this is really a hazard to yourself or the environment there may be groups willing to lend a hand. I don't know who that would be around you but I thinking of environmental groups like the "riverkeepers" someone like that group might at least point you in the right direction for help or volunteer some service. You could even post on the board here and maybe someone would know where to ask. Best of Luck.

Old 02-05-2018, 06:49 AM

9,273 posts, read 8,170,071 times
I'm not understanding this situation. Are you going to burn everything? ALL garbage? Sorry but I've never heard of that before, no matter how rural you are. Some things simply don't burn, others would be toxic to burn and I imagine highly illegal.

If you don't have the ability to haul your garbage yourself to the collection site you need to hire someone to do that for you. if you don't have enough money call Bradford Co and ask what your options are beyond burning garbage.

Bradford Garbage Service: (904)-964-6167

Old 02-05-2018, 07:08 AM

Thanks both of you, now that's more like the concrete advice I was looking for.

But squarpeg, I hope you are not making fun of me (you sound like you are), I am not "painting" a picture here, I am really trying to tell it like it is in a way that someone who doesn't have the challenges that I have would understand. In fact, there are even other complications going on with this situation that I could add, but that would be going too far into my personal life and I don't want to scare you.

I will Google "riverkeepers." Thank you Florida2014 for the Bradford Garbage number, I plan to call them. I am though, concerned with others lending a hand and then injuring themselves in the course of doing so, and then me being liable for people's injuries.

The garbage pit is not really in a pit - it doesn't really go underground, as far as I can tell. I am not the one who built it or started it. I have had nothing to do with this garbage pile for years, and the ones who had anything to do with it's beginning or maintenance are gone. I am in a situation where I am suddenly stuck with this pit.

Anyone else in a similar situation?

Old 02-05-2018, 08:11 AM

39 posts, read 22,597 times
too weird for me on this one
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville