U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2018, 07:23 AM

266 posts, read 123,070 times

Advertisements

Grandeur Homes built our home. Great Construction excellent quality. Shame they are not building anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2018, 09:00 AM

1,604 posts, read 2,679,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shokwaverider View Post
Grandeur Homes built our home. Great Construction excellent quality. Shame they are not building anymore.
Agreed, Grandeur built an excellent home!

SS

Old 04-05-2018, 12:46 PM

909 posts, read 941,227 times
I know you have Heritage Homes listed as an honorable mention. Do you have any additional insight? They seem to be doing several homes on Ponte Vedra Blvd (ocean front & across the street) as well as old PVB. I'm assuming they're doing something right.

Old 04-23-2018, 01:29 PM

3 posts, read 1,056 times
How about Drees and Lennar? Looking at move-in homes in Palencia, Las Calinas, Creekside, and Beacon Lake.

Old 04-23-2018, 11:49 PM

979 posts, read 1,095,748 times
Great post, but who created the list ? Was it an organization ?

Old 04-25-2018, 01:18 PM

1 posts, read 218 times
Hello,

Thanks for sharing this. Do you have any information about ICI homes and Toll Brothers?

Old 04-26-2018, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sithlord72 View Post
Great post, but who created the list ? Was it an organization ?
The list was created by me personally based on direct experience past and present. The list is strictly a personal opinion based on my over 40 years of construction experience directly related to moisture intrusion and construction defect lawsuits, and having worked with over 100 builders in the past 2 decades. For obvious reasons, not to mention the TOS violation it would create, I cannot nor will not mention the name of my firm. I am not here to advertise and do not work directly for the general public.

Almost every construction defect lawsuit that is filed is related directly to water/moisture intrusion, and the subsequent failures that arise from that, and that is my area of expertise.

A builder may use the best painter, electrician, cabinet installer or any other variety of trades used in new construction, however, if the basic wall system of the home is done improperly, none of those other items will matter when you are displaced from your home due to moisture damage, mold, health issues and are embroiled in a messy lawsuit. Preventive medicine is the key when having a home built.

My goal is to help homebuilders take those preventative steps and avoid all of the above when making the biggest investment of their lives. In short, I hate seeing people in my industry get screwed over by builders who care more about the profit than the people.

SS

Old 04-26-2018, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharik View Post
Hello,

Thanks for sharing this. Do you have any information about ICI homes and Toll Brothers?

Yes, I do. And please see the pictures attached to this post.

The pictures are from a Toll Brothers home in Atlantic Beach Country Club in Atlantic Beach, Florida. This is a high end community of Million Dollar plus homes, and the mistakes made in these pictures could potentially cost the homebuyer tens of thousands of dollars in moisture intrusion defects down the road.

I was having a discussion with a person who was installing this system in that neighborhood just last week about his experience, and he was afraid to talk for very long, because, get this, he was being "timed!"

The subcontractor that tapes their Zip System, who also happens to also be the framer for many other builders as well, seems to place a higher priority on getting the work done fast, as opposed to done right. This often tends to be the case for any publicly traded builder whose primary concern is share price. There are exceptions to the rule, but my recommendations will almost always be to use private companies (David Weekley, Dreamfinders, Dostie, etc.) who are not publicly traded companies. Pulte Homes would be one exception. While not always the case in the past, they are extremely quality oriented these days, even more so than many custom builders.

As for ICI, I do not have any direct experience with them at all, but reading online reviews and knowing about some very nasty construction defect lawsuits they were subject to in the past, I would surmise they are very similar in nature to Toll Brothers, as they use many of the same subcontractors. As a general rule, I would not recommend ANY builder who doesn't use a bona fide Weatherization Contractor for the weatherization aspect of their wall systems. Framer, siding & soffit crews, etc. are simply not trained (as you can see from the pictures) to do this type of work, and they usually just put the new guys on it because they don't want to be bothered with it in the first place. When it comes to housewrap, the installation is more important than the product itself, but with the Zip Tape and Zip System, installation has to be PERFECT, no exceptions.
Attached Thumbnails
2018 Top NE Florida Builder Rankings-imag1305.jpg   2018 Top NE Florida Builder Rankings-imag1312.jpg   2018 Top NE Florida Builder Rankings-imag1314.jpg   2018 Top NE Florida Builder Rankings-imag1186.jpg  

Old 04-26-2018, 09:32 PM

29 posts, read 8,793 times
How about LGI? I've seen them advertising all over America and know they offer good deals. I'm certainly not in a position to be building a custom house like many people seem to be, but building a new home with little down sounds pretty darn appealing. I saw they are building in Yulee, and I also read they were builder of the year a year or 2 ago (though I don't know who they were against or the category). Info?

Old 04-27-2018, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klenderman View Post
How about LGI? I've seen them advertising all over America and know they offer good deals. I'm certainly not in a position to be building a custom house like many people seem to be, but building a new home with little down sounds pretty darn appealing. I saw they are building in Yulee, and I also read they were builder of the year a year or 2 ago (though I don't know who they were against or the category). Info?
I thought I knew every builder there was, but I have to say, LGI I am completely unaware of. I appreciate you bringing them to my attention though, and I will do my best to look into this builder and offer what I can at some point in the future.

As far as "Builder of the Year," are you going to trust my rankings, or the ones published by the homebuilders themselves?

Personally, I wouldn't put much stock in any rankings that are compiled by the industry insiders themselves. Those rankings are typically determined on factors like sales, profit, etc., and not on actual quality of construction. To me, this is the only ranking that ever matters.

SS
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or