Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2018, 08:38 AM

2 posts, read 4,595 times

Advertisements

My husband and I have been looking to move to St Johns. He will be working at Amazon by Jacksonville airport but we have been looking at houses in fruit cove and st johns so that his commute is not longer than 40 mins. Can someone suggest where to look or not look. We have a 17 month old so schools will be important eventually. I am also a stay at home mom so things to do with my son is must. We would like to be close to shopping areas and restaurants. Our budget is 450k. Please help...we will be moving from Delaware and do not know the area. TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2018, 09:51 AM

9,374 posts, read 8,345,252 times
That will be one LOOOOOONG commute north of the airport from St Johns County, but if your husband is up to it most people would suggest living in St Johns county for the schools. Honestly, there are so many neighborhoods sprouting up in our area it's impossible to keep track of it all. There are more established neighborhoods like Julington Creek, Durbin Crossing or Aberdeen or newer ones like Julington Lakes, Celestina, Shearwater, Oakridge Landing, etc. that are pretty much identical save for minor differences in amenities.

If it were me I'd tend to look to areas where I'd have quick access to I95 to lessen that drive. So St Johns Golf and County Club, St Johns Forest, Durbin Crossing are three good choices. Once the 9B connector is completed hitting 95N will be a cinch from Durbin and St Johns Forest (slated for completion this summer).

Good luck!

Old 03-14-2018, 10:23 AM

2 posts, read 4,595 times
We really liked Julington Lakes from what we saw online. What would you say the commute would be like? Also, what other developments are similar? Or all they all similiar? Thank you for your insight.

Old 03-14-2018, 12:41 PM

They are all similar. Julington Lakes is brand new, literally still being built. I haven't driven in to see the amenities yet but surely it's more of the same. Nothing in the area really stands out more than others other than the amenities at Nocatee, which are better than the rest. Or if you're golfers there are communities that are planned around a golf course - St Johns Golf & CC, Cimarrone, Julington Creek and South Hampton.

Old 03-14-2018, 01:44 PM

There is a recent thread here re: builders in NE FL. I would heed that advice too if looking at homes in the area. While the homes and neighborhoods might seem similar, the builders are not.

Old 03-14-2018, 03:00 PM

2,114 posts, read 2,343,396 times
As Florida2014 says, that will be a long hike for work. The airport is in northern Duval County, and St. John's County is directly south.

Old 03-15-2018, 11:43 AM

85 posts, read 202,714 times
We live in St. Johns county (specifically, Palencia), and love it. My husband flies out of the Jacksonville airport nearly every week. I think if he had to do that drive on a daily basis he'd go mad.

If I were working near the airport, I would be looking at homes in Fernandina Beach. It's a great community (we have friends there), with A-rated schools. It will have more of a small-town feel than most of St. Johns, but since Amelia Island's economy is driven by tourism, there is plenty to do...good restaurants, nice beaches and parks, cute shops, etc.

You might want to check out...
Mamamelia | Find out all the kids' activities in Fernandina Beach and Amelia Island as well as children's events in Yulee, St. Marys, Kingsland and more.
...for information on mom/kid activities in the area.

But if you do have your heart set on St. Johns county (and it is a great place to live, so I wouldn't try to stop you) I agree with previous posters that you should stick with neighborhoods closer to I-95 for ease of commute, and I would probably not venture south of 210.

Old 03-19-2018, 05:58 PM

3 posts, read 4,119 times
If he is going to be by JIA then I would recommend looking to the North of Jacksonville in Yulee/Fernandina. While I absolutely love living in St. Johns myself it is quite the commute and can take over an hour on a decent day to get there depending on where in the area you are coming from.

Old 03-19-2018, 09:30 PM

1,342 posts, read 2,004,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv4thebeach View Post
My husband and I have been looking to move to St Johns. He will be working at Amazon by Jacksonville airport but we have been looking at houses in fruit cove and st johns so that his commute is not longer than 40 mins. Can someone suggest where to look or not look. We have a 17 month old so schools will be important eventually. I am also a stay at home mom so things to do with my son is must. We would like to be close to shopping areas and restaurants. Our budget is 450k. Please help...we will be moving from Delaware and do not know the area. TIA

If you are planning to move to St John’s county , your husbands commute will easily be longer then 40 minutes to the Amazon facility. I can assure you . When my friend comes in and I pick him up at Jacksonville International Airport it takes me an hour with no traffic.

The northern area of St Johns County is a great place to move to and to raise a family, but that commute will easily be more then 40minutes, and that is without weather issues, car accidents ( of which occur every day throughout Jacksonville, no one drives safely here), and construction projects as the roads need to be expanded or new ones built.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville