Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2018, 05:24 PM

61 posts, read 72,552 times

Advertisements

Hello all. I know this is a Jacksonville feed but it was the closest place to palm coast. The wife and I are planning to move to this area hopefully around November. I was seeing what anyone can tell me about it. It seems quite, safe, clean, and close the beach and houses are a decent price. I will have a job in Port orange. We love St. Augustine area also and that why we are looking into the palm coast part. It’s only a 30 min to Dayton and 35 to St. Augustine. I would think this area would be alittle hidden secret. Any information will help thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2018, 06:21 AM

455 posts, read 669,246 times
Our friends absolutely love it. They have a canal home they purchased in the mid 300’s with a swimming pool and lanai. They put in a dock, bought a small cabin cruiser and often take the boat up to St. Augustine. Takes them about 2 hours by boat. Palm Coast is away from the hectic areas, has some seasonality and offers a more serene lifestyle. Works great for many people, mostly retirees, although you do need to drive to Jacksonville or Daytona for bigger shopping trips.

Old 03-18-2018, 06:26 AM

Thanks for the reply. That’s what I was thinking it was like. We are in are mid 30 and that is pretty much are price range. Like I said I will be working in Port Orange and the wife she sells art stuff on etsy

Old 03-19-2018, 07:16 AM

9,374 posts, read 8,342,991 times
Here's my take on Palm Coast - it seems very much like a large retirement community. The times I have been there I've seen nothing but gated communities with tons of chain stores and chain restaurants with a lot of senior citizens. Having said that, you CAN get a lot more house for your money there as it's just far enough away from everything to keep housing prices reasonable. But I just couldn't see myself living there at the moment as it's just a bit too quiet for my taste. Certainly if that is what you are looking for Palm Coast is a good option.

Depending on which area you live in Palm Coast, you're looking at a good 45 minute to an hour drive each direction to Port Orange and that's with little to no traffic. Do you really want to spend 2 hours a day in your car driving up and down I95? I'd go insane. That's a lot of wasted time and gas money down the drain every single day, plus the drive itself can be maddening with all of the tourists and crazy locals driving 100mph swerving in and out of traffic.

Have you considered Port Orange or maybe even Flagler or Ormond Beach? Each would cut down your commute times and each is still reasonable in terms of cost of living.

Old 03-19-2018, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
Here's my take on Palm Coast - it seems very much like a large retirement community. The times I have been there I've seen nothing but gated communities with tons of chain stores and chain restaurants with a lot of senior citizens. Having said that, you CAN get a lot more house for your money there as it's just far enough away from everything to keep housing prices reasonable. But I just couldn't see myself living there at the moment as it's just a bit too quiet for my taste. Certainly if that is what you are looking for Palm Coast is a good option.

Depending on which area you live in Palm Coast, you're looking at a good 45 minute to an hour drive each direction to Port Orange and that's with little to no traffic. Do you really want to spend 2 hours a day in your car driving up and down I95? I'd go insane. That's a lot of wasted time and gas money down the drain every single day, plus the drive itself can be maddening with all of the tourists and crazy locals driving 100mph swerving in and out of traffic.

Have you considered Port Orange or maybe even Flagler or Ormond Beach? Each would cut down your commute times and each is still reasonable in terms of cost of living.

Yes I have heard about PC being alittle to quite for some people but I think I might want to take that over the jammed packed road or beaches. We are looking over by the PC airport. So to flagger beach is a 10 min drive and to work would only be 30 min. I don’t know if I want to be that close to Daytona but I deff appreciate ur thought it deff helps. I like to know what people think about the area who live close to it

Old 03-21-2018, 01:23 PM

155 posts, read 348,781 times
I don't what you're price range is. If you can afford it, a gated community is your best bet. Better yet, the snowbird lifestyle is best. Summers are extremely hot and very humid. The airport idea makes me nervous. You want to avoid U and S sections I think they are, also R or part of E. That is getting close to Bunnell. Take a ride on US 1 through Bunnell and you'll understand. Most of E is fine. We sold our home in L over a year ago and we've been discussing a return and the place that comes to mind for us is Grand Reserve. DR Horton is building there. Nice course, very nice staff and south end but a private development. I actually called them before we moved north but they were not building yet. Anyway, if you can rent a year and try Palm Coast, it may be a good idea. There is traffic, although less than larger areas. There is a crime problem. Lots a quirky rules and some questionable characters in local government. The open drainage system in Palm Coast is a breeding ground for cottonmouths so look around the yard of any potential homes. Standing water means cottonmouths. Check out Flagler Live for local goings on and crime reports. Good luck!

Old 03-25-2018, 07:48 AM

I wanted to note that Palm Coast is not exclusively a retirement community. It is a family community and the majority of folks are from the greater NY area, including NJ. There is also a large contingent from greater Boston. There are a lot of kids. But then, I like kids so, cool. No, not a retirement community at all and 101000 residents means it is not all that quiet and yes there is traffic. I have spent many hours sitting in traffic on PC Parkway. Not a lot to do yet unless you like the beach, but a nice looking area.

Old 03-25-2018, 11:17 AM

Thank you all for the response. The beach is what we are into. Right now we are land locked. Are budget would be 300 to 315k.

Old 03-29-2018, 06:14 AM

Down around Old Kings Rd and Old Dixie Highway, right before Volusia County and Halifax Country Club, there is a very nice newer development in that price range. Easy access to Flagler Beach, larger yards. Might want to background check any realtors. Florida has weak state oversight. A prime example would be Kathleen West. Her court records are on the Flagler County Clerk of Court site and arrest records on the Flagler County Sheriff site. Our first agent was arrested for beating some one up right before our closing, we cancelled that purchase. The next one lied about the house we bought and the neighborhood. It's still the wild west of real estate. Good luck. You'll do fine in that price range.

Old 03-29-2018, 08:20 AM

9,374 posts, read 8,342,991 times
The City of Palm Coast has 77,068 residents, according to the annual population estimate by the Bureau of Economic Business Research (BEBR).

Data from the last U.S. Census, conducted in 2010, and the 5-Year American Community Survey shows the median age in Palm Coast is 45.1. Twenty-three percent of the City's residents are 65 and older, while 21.4 percent are under 18.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville