U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2018, 07:53 PM

25 posts, read 7,406 times

Advertisements

Hi, all! I'm a 20 year veteran teacher. So far, I have an offer in Brevard County (West Melbourne) and am anticipating one in Callahan. My question is about the Callahan area. I understand it's country. Not opposed to it, but I'm definitely looking for a more "Florida" feel. Husband is a manager for Lowe's, so he'd transfer to any of the stores up there. Where else would be a good area to look in? My daughter would go to school with me, whichever I choose.

I know Melbourne is a different area, but can anyone offer insight between the two?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2018, 11:28 AM

19,398 posts, read 26,597,308 times
I'd recommend checking out Yulee which is about 15-20 minutes east of Callahan. It's a bit more suburban with the typical newer build subdivisions but much lower density than most of FL. It would provide much more social opportunity for your daughter (and yourselves no doubt) and a better commute to the Lowes on the north side of Jacksonville. In terms of West Melbourne, it would be a bit more congested and probably a tad more expensive. I prefer the beaches of Amelia Island (east of Yulee) over what Brevard County would offer as well and all in all would recommend Nassau County over Brevard County.

Old 04-03-2018, 08:49 PM

So is Callahan not a nice area? I mean, other than being pretty rural.

Old 04-05-2018, 08:23 AM

2,475 posts, read 3,486,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I'd recommend checking out Yulee which is about 15-20 minutes east of Callahan. It's a bit more suburban with the typical newer build subdivisions but much lower density than most of FL. It would provide much more social opportunity for your daughter (and yourselves no doubt) and a better commute to the Lowes on the north side of Jacksonville. In terms of West Melbourne, it would be a bit more congested and probably a tad more expensive. I prefer the beaches of Amelia Island (east of Yulee) over what Brevard County would offer as well and all in all would recommend Nassau County over Brevard County.

The only drawback to the above is that we are experiencing explosive growth in Yulee and that is putting it very lightly. Housing and rentals are both skyrocketing. Density is increasing by the day.

As far as Callahan goes, it is a great little small town with a rural feel to it. Affordability in housing is a lot better than Yulee right now.

You can easily visit both areas in one day and get a feel for them.

There is a Lowes just east of Amelia Island, one in Kingsland Georgia just over the state line and another one a few miles from the JIA Airport at river City Market Place.

As far as teaching jobs you will most likely have great security in Nassau County as we are getting ready to experience severe growing pains with the need for new schools.

Good luck and welcome

Old 04-05-2018, 09:33 AM

Thank you to both of you for your replies. I have both offers in my hands right now. I'm only torn deciding between rural or suburban. Having a daughter who is almost 6, I'm starting to appreciate more the laid-back and somewhat sheltered lifestyles of rural areas.

Old 04-05-2018, 10:33 AM

Depending on your location now, I would take a trip to visit both locations before making a decision.

Old 04-05-2018, 12:11 PM

I wish, but I live in Oregon and will be deciding sight-unseen

Old 04-05-2018, 03:02 PM

Where Oregon is a bit liberal, this area is very conservative and the cultural and ethnic diversity you find in a lot of metropolitan areas is extremely small here.

We have been very happy here but there are a lot that experience culture shock coming from the west coast.

We moved here embracing the area........many come and try to make it like where they came from and are disappointed.

The mills, logging trucks and locals have been here way before me but the rapid housing starts in this area are changing Amelia Island and Yulee dramatically.

Good luck with your decision

Old 04-06-2018, 09:26 AM

We both grew up in Texas, plus we lived in Las Vegas for 3 years prior to moving to Portland. It's wayyyyy too liberal up here for us. I'm more of a moderate, and hubby leans more toward Republican in most ways. I'm only worried about being disappointed that the area isn't very "Florida" and is maybe a little more "East Texas" in its appearance.

I did accept the job teaching for Nassau County, btw.

Old 04-06-2018, 12:40 PM

Great.................Hilliard and Callahan will feel like Florida. As you get closer to Amelia Island you will find it turns into shopping centers and cookie cutter subdivisions where they have clear cut the pine timber.

Good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or