U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2018, 08:02 AM

6,765 posts, read 15,431,206 times

Advertisements

I never surfed, but did live in Huntington Beach (Southern Calif), one block from the beach, years ago. They would have surfing contests there. IOW, the surf would be very good.

Here, not even close to what Huntington Beach was like. Wife and I have been down to Jax Beach and could see surfers getting pretty small waves and surfing a pretty short distance. But, then again, when that's all they have, "that's all they have". But, when a hurricane or tropical storm some miles offshore, the waves can be pretty big and lots of surfers know that.........out they go!

But don't think you are going to visit here and think you are going to see the Banzai Pipeline, like in Hawaii.......isn't going to happen!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2018, 09:17 AM

312 posts, read 165,455 times
I don't care so much about size as I do quality. San Diego County is very consistent with good loggable waves. I ride a heavy single fin LB 99% of the time...Velzy pigs almost always. if it's waist high, but clean, I am happy.

Old 04-20-2018, 02:31 PM

2,431 posts, read 894,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBslider001 View Post
I don't care so much about size as I do quality. San Diego County is very consistent with good loggable waves. I ride a heavy single fin LB 99% of the time...Velzy pigs almost always. if it's waist high, but clean, I am happy.
Then you should have no problem getting a day or two of surf in, if you're coming in late Summer/early Fall. I had some knee high and clean the other day, I think it was on Monday when I went out. Occasional waist high sets. The water will also be quite a bit warmer here that time of year than it is in San Diego.

Old 04-20-2018, 10:32 PM

4 posts, read 376 times
The most consistent surf in Duval county is probably up in North Atlantic Beach, by what is locally referred to as "The Poles."

Old Yesterday, 06:43 AM

312 posts, read 165,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runninglikethieves View Post
Then you should have no problem getting a day or two of surf in, if you're coming in late Summer/early Fall. I had some knee high and clean the other day, I think it was on Monday when I went out. Occasional waist high sets. The water will also be quite a bit warmer here that time of year than it is in San Diego.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampRatt View Post
The most consistent surf in Duval county is probably up in North Atlantic Beach, by what is locally referred to as "The Poles."
Thanks for the input guys,I'll be sure to check it out. I know surf spots are not to be given away, so I don't expect that. SD water temps aren't bad. The only time I have not paddled out was in February when the air temp was 36 and the water was 60. That was a pretty frigid morning and I don't do booties, so there was no surfing for me that day....it was GOOD too LOL! Thanks again!

Old Today, 06:38 AM

38 posts, read 27,879 times
If you don't mind paddling out in chop you can surf plenty here. Last month I have surfed almost every day ranging from waist high chop to head high glass. I live in St Augustine where there is a decent variety of breaks. So much beach here you could surf alone everyday but most people hit the named better spots. If you like logging you will surf plenty. I ride a shortboard, fish, and log in summer time and never go to crazy from lack of surf. Its good to taking up fishing here for those prolonged summer flat spells.

Old Today, 06:41 AM

38 posts, read 27,879 times
Oh yea it gets cold here. Winter water temps get into the low 50's and 40's some years (this year!!) but usual only lasts a month. Most of the year the water is in the upper 70's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or