Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2018, 04:28 PM

20 posts, read 22,912 times

Advertisements

Will be part time in Jacksonville. Planning to be between Tampa (where I live now) and Jacksonville. Questions/Help/opinions:

• Good place to live near the beach and UNF? Part time living so not so costly.
  • Places to visit; spend the day; nightlife; etc
  • Good Restaurants and bars?
  • Primary care family doctors?
  • Any handyman for everything fixing? Auto mechanic?
  • Is public transport an option? or need a car to move around?
any additional tips will be appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2018, 07:57 AM

20 posts, read 23,929 times
I am also new here, so hard to shed much light. I'll said the geography of the city is very large. My opinion is you need a car for sure, unless you move to an area where you have everything you want and just want to stay there.

Old 06-18-2018, 02:03 PM

20 posts, read 22,912 times
I visited last weekend to look around. It is pretty much the same look and feel as in Tampa, and for sure you need a car. Maybe will talk to a realtor to help me find a place.

Old 06-18-2018, 03:05 PM

7,777 posts, read 10,158,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mik00725 View Post
Will be part time in Jacksonville. Planning to be between Tampa (where I live now) and Jacksonville. Questions/Help/opinions:

• Good place to live near the beach and UNF? Part time living so not so costly.
  • Places to visit; spend the day; nightlife; etc
  • Good Restaurants and bars?
  • Primary care family doctors?
  • Any handyman for everything fixing? Auto mechanic?
  • Is public transport an option? or need a car to move around?
any additional tips will be appreciated
What's the budget? I mean rentals at the SJTC area range from medium to very expensive, and that is a great area to be near UNF and relatively close to the beach.

Nightlife is pretty much three general regions (ranked by my preference)

1a) Urban Core neighborhoods...primarily focused on Riverside.
1b) Beaches...with two areas of high concentration in DT Jax Beach and a few miles north at the Beaches Town Center
3) St Johns Town Center area. This is highly suburban but is the sort of generic, popular, lifestyle center that you find in all the midsized or larger cities in this country. Top Golf, iFly etc.

More specificity and I'd be happy to recommend restaurants and bars. I guess generally speaking if I'm gonna toss our my faves, I'd recommend Black Sheep in Five Points and the Volstead in Downtown.

Yes, you need your own car under normal circumstances. I mean you said you are doing parttime so I could perhaps imagine if you were living near where you needed to be (like SJTC and attending UNF) you could get by utilizing the UNF shuttles and just ubering on occasion when you want to leave that general area. Or if you live at the beach it's feasible you can get to everything you need fairly easily by bike. But traveling between parts of town requires a vehicle and using uber everytime could get costly. Just depends on your situation.

Old 06-20-2018, 05:52 PM

73 posts, read 79,879 times
Check areas of Baymeadows which is close to UNF.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
View detailed profiles of: