Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 08:38 AM

75 posts, read 204,009 times

Advertisements

I was looking into solar systems since the price of everything is going up and it looks like florida(The sunshine state) allready used up its money for rebates! Also the incentives from JEA were not too good as compared with other places in Florida. What are the general attitudes towards solar power in Jacksonville?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2008, 08:56 AM

2,689 posts, read 3,965,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphin3 View Post
I was looking into solar systems since the price of everything is going up and it looks like florida(The sunshine state) allready used up its money for rebates! Also the incentives from JEA were not too good as compared with other places in Florida. What are the general attitudes towards solar power in Jacksonville?
I had a guy come out to me and he suggested I use solar for pool heating but he felt it wasn't cost effective to use it for the whole house. YMMV

Old 03-30-2008, 09:01 AM

I had a pasive solar hot water system on my last house and I swear my hot water heater rarely came on!

Old 03-30-2008, 09:08 AM

9,367 posts, read 25,210,572 times
How does a passive HW system work? How expensive is it? I've googled solar for home use and it is overwhelming for a non-techie.

There is a bill before the legislature this session that would require electric companies to buy back power from residents.

Old 03-30-2008, 10:13 AM

The house I had just had a tank (a box with four tanks in it) called a PT40 on the roof. It was just over the hot water heater in the garage. The water was piped so it could be diverted up to the roof before coming back down into the house and when it came back off the roof in the summer I swear it would burn you! Made a believer out of me! Thats what made me look into the rebate program. It makes for some interesting reading! Looks like the state ran out of money in the first month of the year. How sad is that?

Old 03-31-2008, 09:59 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,456,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphin3 View Post
I don't think you'd recoup your costs if you sell a home with solar in Jacksonville. So you could spend $30k on panels, and maybe get a rebate of $15k, but the other $15k is probably a loss at resale. You'd have your utility savings each month, but the break even point takes years.

So I struggle some with that, as I am a bit on the nomadic side . If I knew I was staying in a house, I'd install the solar and take whatever rebate I could get.

I looked into the hot water heater rebates from the state when I last had to replace a water heater, but it's not like you can go to Sears and pick out a water heater and apply for the rebate . The water heaters that qualify for the rebates are *special* and not readily available at your local store. It was all far too complicated for my situation, so I ended up just buying the water heater with the highest energy star rating instead.

It takes a lot of research to understand how the rebates work and I bet a lot of people get turned off by the process. I did not even know they could run oout of rebate money each year!

I'm still researching solar panels, I'm not giving up .

Old 04-01-2008, 06:41 AM

Thanks for taking the time! It is a bit complicated and confusing. I really tried to understand the rebate deal but just when I thought I had it figured out I got to the part that said that the state ran out of money allready for this year. I truely believe that solar is the wave of the future and if you can stand the wait (at least 5 years) it will start giving you free power! The systems are getting better by leaps and bounds and it's shown in states like New Jersey that are investing so much into it. Don't give up! It may be raining today but the suns comming out next week!

Old 04-28-2008, 05:52 AM

4 posts, read 9,350 times
Default solar rebate

Dolphin-
short FYI on the solar rebate. The thought is that the fund will be "re-funded" this July 2008. You may know for solar usually you are talking solar thermal (domestic hot water, pool heating etc.) and solar electric (photovoltaic). The rebate amounts vary depending on thermal or electric. the "payback" will also vary with the method. Many qualified solar companies in fl as well as solar association to google, talk to etc. You will add value to the home with the investment as well. Or in our case here in fl, maybe slow down the loss in value. best regards

Old 04-29-2008, 01:12 AM

1,255 posts, read 3,487,929 times
I agree with waiting a year or two. They now can actually print solar panels on thin sheets & it'll be lower cost than bulky panels.

Old 04-29-2008, 07:52 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,456,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerryB View Post
I agree with waiting a year or two. They now can actually print solar panels on thin sheets & it'll be lower cost than bulky panels.
Any idea how they might compare in cost?

How about durability, might they hold up as well as the traditional panels? Some people are using panels they bought 10+ years ago and they're still in great working order...I wonder if a thinner material might last decades on our roofs?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville