Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 08:43 AM

139 posts, read 409,773 times

Advertisements

I am in the construction business and have worked as a subcontractor for several "production" builders. My trade was framing, or structural carpentry at the time. The game here is to build the house as quickly as possible for the least expense. Quality is not an issue, nor pride in workmanship. Just build it quickly, include popular features, (plant shelves, tall clgs.,etc.) sell it and do it again.
When I was framing the average homeowner kept the house for under two years and was almost guaranteed a profit at sale. This type of construction fits that market. These houses are not built for a long term investment.
My advice is if you are thinking of a retirement home or something to keep in the family, look elsewhere. Check out some older communities the builder has done, walk through some neighborhoods and look at how the homes are holding up, pay attention to roofs, eaves and structural siding. You may be able to contact your building dept. and talk candidly with an inspector, his input will speak volumes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2009, 06:35 PM

4 posts, read 21,433 times
Thumbs down You've got to be kidding!

I grew up in the north. My parents bought a new home in 1954, not for retirement, but to live in. We lived in it for over 12 years without any major issues. When did new construction stand for low quality, lousey construction, which meant to get out quick to pass the problem onto someone else. It's people like you who are only in it for profit vs. ethics and integrity that are hurting this country. I hope you are feeling the pain of these hard economic times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsim View Post
I am in the construction business and have worked as a subcontractor for several "production" builders. My trade was framing, or structural carpentry at the time. The game here is to build the house as quickly as possible for the least expense. Quality is not an issue, nor pride in workmanship. Just build it quickly, include popular features, (plant shelves, tall clgs.,etc.) sell it and do it again.
When I was framing the average homeowner kept the house for under two years and was almost guaranteed a profit at sale. This type of construction fits that market. These houses are not built for a long term investment.
My advice is if you are thinking of a retirement home or something to keep in the family, look elsewhere. Check out some older communities the builder has done, walk through some neighborhoods and look at how the homes are holding up, pay attention to roofs, eaves and structural siding. You may be able to contact your building dept. and talk candidly with an inspector, his input will speak volumes.

Old 07-30-2009, 06:50 PM

2,740 posts, read 5,506,210 times
probably sometime in the early 90s I would imagine.

Old 07-30-2009, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjs68 View Post
Is anyone familiar with the quality of ICI homes?

Thanks in advance,

tom
Yes, I am very familiar with ICI homes. I'm a homeowner. ICI stands for "I Cheat Investors". I've owned my house for just over 5 years. I've had to expense nearly $140,000 in repairs (most of it not covered by insurance). The house was near collapse (not my evalutation, but an construction expert's statement) due to out of code violations, major improper installation of windows, beams, columns, and more. There was even fraud. Construction materials that were in the contract were not used. If you purchased on new home, would you expect to have to make repairs that were in excess of 1/3 the value of your home? If you don't believe me, investigate why over 1 dozens people are having to go to binding arbitration with ICI. Secondly, why does their agreement require binding arbitration and "they get to select the arbitration company and arbitrator"? Does this sound like a stacked deck?

Old 07-31-2009, 04:59 AM

139 posts, read 409,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Dent View Post
I grew up in the north. My parents bought a new home in 1954, not for retirement, but to live in. We lived in it for over 12 years without any major issues. When did new construction stand for low quality, lousey construction, which meant to get out quick to pass the problem onto someone else. It's people like you who are only in it for profit vs. ethics and integrity that are hurting this country. I hope you are feeling the pain of these hard economic times.
Chuck, I've read your post describing the problems you have with your home. I understand your bitterness but why are you coming down on me? Perhaps you missed the word "subcontractor." Lemme splain.
ICI did not build your house. They subcontracted every phase of construction- framing, electrical,plumbing, hvac, insulation, drywall etc. This is not a bidding process, the contractor (ICI) sets the price. More specifically the pencil sharpeners set it. There is no money for quality, the word quality is never mentioned. The only pressure the sub has is to complete his work quickly and pass inspection. That is all he is paid to do. The plans (blueprints) for the house have been refined to maximize efficiency of material and labor. It has literally become a contest of who can build the least expensive home, resulting in the "lousy construction and poor quality" you mentioned.
This should explain why we call it "production" work. I will add that this type of construction was also popular in the fifties, best example that comes to mind is the "shotgun style" homes all over Florida. There was a demand for fast low cost housing.
It's a sad thing to have the troubles you do with your home, the fellows who assembled it did their job. I feel your anger would be better directed at the contractor who is ultimately responsible.

Old 07-31-2009, 10:18 AM

1,658 posts, read 4,735,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsim View Post
I am in the construction business and have worked as a subcontractor for several "production" builders. My trade was framing, or structural carpentry at the time. The game here is to build the house as quickly as possible for the least expense. Quality is not an issue, nor pride in workmanship. .
Well yeah, you were only following the rules of the "game" (as you call it) but it doesn't mean that you weren't one of the bad guys. ICI ofcourse is not alone. But I know for a fact that during the home-building heyday there were many builders/contractors here in Florida who delivered a quality product every time. Their subcontractors must have had pride in their workmanship and that quality was an issue for them. I wonder how difficult it was for you to sacrifice your own pride of workmanship working for these lousy "production" contractors instead of for a quality builder. No bother?

Old 08-01-2009, 06:23 AM

3 posts, read 23,049 times
Sure, half the people hate them and the other half love them.....those are still terrible odds....are you really willing to build a house with a company that has 1 foot in the grave and the other foot only wants to do a good job building your new home 50% of the time.....RUN AWAY RUN AWAY !!!

Old 08-04-2009, 03:24 PM

1 posts, read 5,575 times
I bought an ICI home one year ago. Three months into the new home , hurricane Fay was upon us. Several rooms in the house had water damage. ICI promptly showed us the line in the warranty which said, "hurricane damage is excluded"!. We have had problems every couple of months. Their workmanship is bad, and quality of the materials is the cheapest one could find on this earth- they wolud buy all their building materials in the "dollar store" if they could!

Old 08-04-2009, 04:05 PM

2,740 posts, read 5,506,210 times
I'm sorry everyone is having troubles and I pray that you guys can get remedies quickly.

Old 08-14-2009, 07:03 AM

To the Subcontractor: Sounds like the old, "It's not my job", or "I'm only following orders." They executed German soldiers after WWII that were "only following orders". Where were your personal pride and ethics? The subcontractor who worked on my house did not put a SINGLE nail in any of the framing on one side of my two story house. NO BS! The contractor who did the repairs called me outside before doing any work, showed me the issue to verify it, and then took pictures in case I went to court. What about the safety of my family? So what you are telling me that if a subcontractor, such as yourself, is told to not put nails in a house in order to save money that you would go along with it. If you feel that much pride in your work, why don't you post your real name, address, and phone number so that other people needing your services "will call you"? RIGHT!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville