Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2018, 05:50 AM

134 posts, read 254,259 times

Advertisements

Now I know some may take this as politically incorrect but this is just out of curiosity. What's with the boom in Indian residents moving to the area? Specifically St Johns County. I see a lot more week after week out walking and I have a friend that does RE closings and he said he cannot believe the sudden surge in recent closing by Indian families.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2018, 06:04 AM

19,013 posts, read 14,191,607 times
Over a billion Indians have to expand somewhere... just sayin'.

Old 10-11-2018, 06:06 AM

34,229 posts, read 18,565,195 times
It is happening in many parts of the country, mainly due to the proliferation of H1B1 Visas.

Old 10-11-2018, 06:34 AM

9,382 posts, read 8,348,949 times
I have wondered the same thing and I would agree with Pilot1 - it's a direct result of the large number of H-1B visas being issued. Once issued, the H-1B visa recipient can then bring over their spouse and children. Their kids grow up and have their own families.....and the cycle repeats itself.

Folks from India seem to also place a premium on education, which is why they are coming to St Johns Co vs. elsewhere. I rarely see their kids in any sports leagues outside of tennis, or even playing at the pools or playgrounds, but the classrooms are full of children from India now and let's just say they take up the top half of the grading curve in almost all of the classes.

Old 10-11-2018, 06:43 AM

34,229 posts, read 18,565,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
I have wondered the same thing and I would agree with Pilot1 - it's a direct result of the large number of H-1B visas being issued. Once issued, the H-1B visa recipient can then bring over their spouse and children. Their kids grow up and have their own families.....and the cycle repeats itself.

Folks from India seem to also place a premium on education, which is why they are coming to St Johns Co vs. elsewhere. I rarely see their kids in any sports leagues outside of tennis, or even playing at the pools or playgrounds, but the classrooms are full of children from India now and let's just say they take up the top half of the grading curve in almost all of the classes.
In my area, S.E. PA, we have entire communities (housing developments) that are mostly Indian. I have spoken to them on occasion, and they tend to cluster with friends, and relatives, I assume because they feel more comfortable culturally. They are VERY much into education, and their kids are bright, and mostly active in STEM, and IT studies.

My impression is that they are law abiding, successful, keep largely to their own ethnic culture, maintain their properties well, and are ambitious. They will be a societal force at some point.

Old 10-11-2018, 07:20 AM

Yes, agreed on all points. When I'm outside walking and walk by someone from India, it's not uncommon for me to greet them with a "Hello" or "Good Morning" to be met with silence. Assume it is a cultural or language barrier thing....hard to gauge.

I will say in terms of schools, I don't see it as a good thing that my kid, who has interests outside of school, will be held to the same academic standards as children from India. Great for them, I can appreciate their ambition and focus on education, but if I'm being honest I sort of cringed when I saw that there were 3 or 4 kids from India in his class this year. I absolutely want the best education for him, but I also want him to grow socially through athletics and through interaction with other kids to become a well rounded adult.

Old 10-11-2018, 04:37 PM

23 posts, read 31,470 times
I’m not sure what’s being described is all that different from Italian, Jewish, Eastern European, Somali, or any other immigrant communities. In general first generation immigrants stick together as they make sense of the new environment. In a third world country EVERYTHING is competitive: food, education, a life partner, social stature, etc. So naturally what you see from these people is a gravitation to places like St. John’s county that offers them the best opportunities in what they value. What they value is what they struggled to achieve in India. Sports is a luxury over there. Sometimes these people will go back because they can’t assimilate. The kids will eventually assimilate and become part of our culture.

My point is it’s the same cycle in history over and over.

Old 10-12-2018, 06:21 AM

Yes, I imagine if the situations were reversed and I had moved to a country on the other side of the planet to make a better life for myself I'd certainly be sticking to what is familiar - American friends and family. Especially if there was a language barrier or the cultures were vastly different.

Old 10-15-2018, 12:05 PM

134 posts, read 254,259 times
Nicely put, I appreciate the perspective.

Old 10-15-2018, 05:04 PM

5,687 posts, read 7,178,545 times
This was not totally unexpected. Fun fact: At his rally in Michigan on April 28, Trump proclaimed that he was bringing in boatloads of H1B visa folks. And the crowd went wild with delight.

So that's why you're seeing the surge. Promises made, promises kept.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
View detailed profiles of: