U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2018, 10:18 PM

80 posts, read 63,909 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarpeg View Post
My son lived in Orlando for a few years and I just can't imagine why someone would want to live in central Florida. It doesn't sound like you are required to live anywhere due to a job. So why go there. Ditto Gainsville. It is Florida, if your not on the water, near the water, seeing the water on a regular basis why come? People only move to the swamp for the warm sunny clime and the water. Why would you give up 50% of the best Florida has to offer. Jacksonville I think is the obvious choice, although I personally think the city itself is lame, it does have potential, and you are on the right track to be looking in surrounding areas from St Augustine to Amelia Island. I can't be as specific as others on housing developments but my recommendation is stay on the coast even if you may have to dodge the occasional hurricane.
Well we do love the heat and the water and the beach , we have friends in middleburg and st Pete. The friends in middlebur, They have similar thought process to you. And I have to say it makes sense. Honestly we just hoped we could avoid evacuation and minimize our risks for a total wipe out of our home if we live
On the coast in a wood frame house. We worried about flooding from the river and waterway if a hurricane like Florence or Harvey cane andndumped a Ton of water on the area. After research the higher elevation of areas like lake county / Seminole county seem to be fairly safe from flooding (except Orlando) and our hope was to build a cat 5 house. But you would win my wife over in a heartbeat with your points. Thank you for your great perspective.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2018, 06:44 AM

30 posts, read 35,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeens84 View Post
Thank you this is great advice. I wish I could find a short term rental for maybe two months or three at the most . Just to be sure we like it . We kind of want to find a furnished short term rental so we can basically bring ourselves and not bring the whole load down and not like it. If we like it then we will arrange a moving company and find either long term lease and then go house hunting or wait to see what the market does. I’ve looked in ads and CL and some of the rental apps but haven’t found any short term rentals in the area.
You won't find anything less than 7 months in and around Nocatee. Anywhere with an HOA will be a 7 month minimum. You'll need to go to World Golf Village (Laterra has furnished condos) or up to Sawgrass which will be closer to the beach and more $$.

Old 11-15-2018, 08:28 AM

5,937 posts, read 4,260,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeens84 View Post
Well we do love the heat and the water and the beach , we have friends in middleburg and st Pete. The friends in middlebur, They have similar thought process to you. And I have to say it makes sense. Honestly we just hoped we could avoid evacuation and minimize our risks for a total wipe out of our home if we live
On the coast in a wood frame house. We worried about flooding from the river and waterway if a hurricane like Florence or Harvey cane andndumped a Ton of water on the area. After research the higher elevation of areas like lake county / Seminole county seem to be fairly safe from flooding (except Orlando) and our hope was to build a cat 5 house. But you would win my wife over in a heartbeat with your points. Thank you for your great perspective.
There are a number of areas in St Johns Co that are not in a flood zone. We've lived through 3 major to semi-major hurricanes in our time here and no one in our area suffered through flooding of any kid (we are west of I95). If you live near the coastline hurricanes, wind/flood damage are certainly in play.

I would agree with Squarpeg, I cannot fathom living in Florida without quick/easy access to the ocean. If I'm going to live in a landlocked area, I would probably not choose to live in Florida. Orlando certainly has lots to see and do and relatively inexpensive housing in certain areas, but I couldn't live there full-time.

I know a lot of people who live in or near Gainesville and are very content. Probably not the worst place to live but again......it's several hours to the nearest beach.

Old 11-15-2018, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
There are a number of areas in St Johns Co that are not in a flood zone. We've lived through 3 major to semi-major hurricanes in our time here and no one in our area suffered through flooding of any kid (we are west of I95). If you live near the coastline hurricanes, wind/flood damage are certainly in play.

I would agree with Squarpeg, I cannot fathom living in Florida without quick/easy access to the ocean. If I'm going to live in a landlocked area, I would probably not choose to live in Florida. Orlando certainly has lots to see and do and relatively inexpensive housing in certain areas, but I couldn't live there full-time.

I know a lot of people who live in or near Gainesville and are very content. Probably not the worst place to live but again......it's several hours to the nearest beach.
Great point. Thank you. Would t be feasible to find ourselves a piece of property west of I-95 in St John’s county roughly maybe a half an acre to and acre on higher land out of a flood zone and build , or is this unrealistic ? We would really love to build a concrete home with hurricane windows and doors and avoid HOAs if there’s a way to do that. We had a bad experience in MT Pleasant with living in a planned community with steep HOa fees. Maybe that’s the life though and we aren’t thinking of the benefits when you have young girls. We will be down there with no family, I’m sure there’s tons of kids in this planned communities.

Old 11-15-2018, 09:05 AM

Not impossible but there are so many HOA communities going up all over our area that it's pretty tough to avoid them, especially if you're trying to build a brand new home. You really do not need a concrete block home this far inland, it wouldn't be worth the money you put into it, imho. If you're in Jax Beach, PVB, etc. it certainly would be worth exploring but over here we just don't get that kind of weather, nor the flooding. Find a good realtor and have him or her show you the areas and as others have suggested, consider a short-term rental to get to know the area first.

Old 11-15-2018, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Not impossible but there are so many HOA communities going up all over our area that it's pretty tough to avoid them, especially if you're trying to build a brand new home. You really do not need a concrete block home this far inland, it wouldn't be worth the money you put into it, imho. If you're in Jax Beach, PVB, etc. it certainly would be worth exploring but over here we just don't get that kind of weather, nor the flooding. Find a good realtor and have him or her show you the areas and as others have suggested, consider a short-term rental to get to know the area first.
Our friends tell me the same thing, stop watching the news and reading the click-bait editorials about how Jacksonville is due for a Harvey or whatever. And they had me freaked out “spin off” tornadoes during bad weather but during my research I didn’t see a history of tornadoes there.

I think our goal at this point will be to find a three month rental, stay somewhere in St John’s county , if we like it , find a long term rental and get settled , then start the land or house search. Problem is finding a clean three bedroom for three months. Thanks for all your input!

Old 11-15-2018, 11:40 AM

Oh there are tornadoes! In fact, there was a warning over in World Golf Village just last night. But really no house is going to survive a direct hit with a tornado....the chances are probably 1 in a million your house gets hit anyway.

Old 11-15-2018, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Oh there are tornadoes! In fact, there was a warning over in World Golf Village just last night. But really no house is going to survive a direct hit with a tornado....the chances are probably 1 in a million your house gets hit anyway.
Well I guess if the HOA lets me I will build a safe room in case of tornadoes. I saw plans for a builder that throws one on the side of your house for less than 10k. I did not realize that tornadoes were another threat in this area. Thank you!

Old 11-15-2018, 08:10 PM

4,573 posts, read 2,490,605 times
Building a concrete house on an acre in St Johns is unrealistic. Concrete block home are the luxury market here. They are much more popular in Southern Florida and are the norm. If you are worried about a hurricane or tornado or flood its best to avoid Florida. You have to come to grips that it comes with the territory. I see multimillion dollar mansions being built high and out of concrete block but those are 2 million and up. With your budget you can find something but a new built with property and not in a development will be difficult. I love our HOA, even though I got reported for leaving some branches out a few days early. The neighborhood is spotless and people take care of and improve their home constantly. We specifically looked for a deed restricted neighborhood. You have to realize that if you live somewhere where you can do anything with no fear of repercussions so can your neighbors.

Old 11-15-2018, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
Building a concrete house on an acre in St Johns is unrealistic. Concrete block home are the luxury market here. They are much more popular in Southern Florida and are the norm. If you are worried about a hurricane or tornado or flood its best to avoid Florida. You have to come to grips that it comes with the territory. I see multimillion dollar mansions being built high and out of concrete block but those are 2 million and up. With your budget you can find something but a new built with property and not in a development will be difficult. I love our HOA, even though I got reported for leaving some branches out a few days early. The neighborhood is spotless and people take care of and improve their home constantly. We specifically looked for a deed restricted neighborhood. You have to realize that if you live somewhere where you can do anything with no fear of repercussions so can your neighbors.
I know we are to expect the bad parts of Florida too. Im not unrealistic about flooding , hurricanes and tornadoes but I would just like to mitigate our risks the best we can in our budget, even if it’s more for piece of mind for my family than it is for function, even just a concrete safe room built outside and existing home.
It seems so obvious but this is a great point about the HOA. Never thought of it like this before.
I was looking at a couple lots for around 50k a piece for a half an acre around picolata elementary near world golf village . Currently not developed. I been in contact with a “green builder” from the gainsville area who does various ICF construction homes and it appears one of their three bedroom ICF homes can be built around $500k. Icf homes are really appealing to me for various reasons including the safety but not sure if my budget will allow for the bells and whistles we want versus buying a home already built. I have remodeled and flipped a couple houses and could do updates myself so that is another option. I think I found some short term rentals near laterra and sawgrass and hopefully we can head down in January. It’s snowing here and it’s rained for a week with no warm up. I miss the south. I’ll take 90% humidity in August and 96degress for six months over one month of this weather we have. Thank you all for you input, I do appreciate your time and patience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville