U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2018, 10:33 PM

80 posts, read 63,847 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by logybogy View Post
Have you visited any of these areas or you are just looking for ideas on the internet? Before you make plans to rent, take a week or two and just visit and drive around Florida to scout locations. Gainesville really isn't that big. You can spend a few days in the area and drive around with a realtor and know pretty easily if this is a place you will be interested in or not.
Yeah we have a few couple week stays primarily in the Jacksonville area. We also made a few day trips while living in South Carolina. We scouted some neighborhoods last time and drove the whole coastal side of John’s county and stopped at each place and looked around. We have friends in western Duval county who also have given us great feedback and ideas. But I find a better diversity on this forum and usually get a wide array of ideas that I never thought of. We have tried a couple different areas BEFORE Florida just because of job situations but now I have a mobile career and we can live anywhere. Florida was our original choice but jobs kept us from trying it. We always wanted to live in Dunedin or Safety harbor but after visiting and also the red tide issues , we have our sights on northeast Florida , mainly for hurricane ratings and our fondness off Jacksonville. We also like the schools and crime rates. Orlando has been something others have tried to talk us into but no ones really made good points for me to consider a short term rental stay. So we are looking in St. John’s county . I found a great couple short terms in the palm coast area but it is a little far from where we want to be and I did find one in Anastasia island but I assume it will be gone before January. We want to rent a furnished short term while we find a long term 1-2 year rental that will provide some protection from the elements , maybe some amentities and in a desireable area for my young girls. Once we’ve been down there a year or so I think we will look to
Buy or build. I’ve gotten so much great advice and I truly appreciate it!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2018, 10:12 PM
TD*

1,604 posts, read 3,449,075 times
Have you considered Tallahassee

Old 12-13-2018, 06:53 PM

4,208 posts, read 4,694,408 times
I have lived in Orlando for about 11 years. We used to live in Stuart FL. Orlando?....a big small town that is growing pretty fast. A bit boring, crime going up, traffic getting worse, lots of new homes, apartments going up. Disney is a place to go with kids but the last time we were there it seemed seedy, run down. Schools in Orlando are ok in Winter Park, Maitland, and Dr. Philips. Private schools are expensive. Housing choices are wide but be careful of build quality.

All in all, if I have to move I won't miss it. I grew up in Ohio, lived in San Diego, overseas and now back here. Rent before you buy.

Old 12-14-2018, 07:13 AM

8 posts, read 8,490 times
Whty aren't you looking at Greenville Sc? It checks all the boxes you've listed.

Old 12-23-2018, 08:14 AM

749 posts, read 271,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock2017 View Post
Based on your title ,,I’d lean towards Jacksonville. Most likely the northern area of St Johns County. Gainesville is mostly a college town, and Orlando is a crime ridden dump that is way over crowded and has too many tourists,

I was just in Orlando this past weekend. Every time i go there i wonder how people live there. Great place to visit, wouldnt live there for free
I created an account to dispute this comment.

I currently live in Orlando and am on Jax’s forum because I’m interested in the success of Florida’s other cities and will soon be deciding which city to visit in March. I’ve always liked Jacksonville’s potential and want to see it become Florida’s “it” city and direct competitor to Nashville, Austin, Charlotte, or Seattle, etc.

That being said, this post and a couple others about Orlando are way off. “Dump” doesn’t describe Orlando at all. It’s one of the cleanest big cities in the country, and definitely in Florida. The “too many tourists” comment (which is true) ensures the city and county do all they can to sell and promote Orlando as green, clean, and desirable. I work for Clean Works, a county initiative whose sole purpose for existence is keeping the city and downtown spotless, removing any graffiti, and curbing litter. You can say a lot about Orlando, but dump is wholly inaccurate, especially when compared to Jax. Orlando is gentrifying, sad to say, so the overwhelming vast majority of the city is new, which is in stark contrast to Jax, which while gentrifying also, still has so many areas that are dilapidated, blighted, and just dirty.

Crime is rising, that’s true. At the same time, Jacksonville has one of the highest crime rates in the state. Just like any big city, you take the good with the bad. There certainly is enough good to make up for the awful crime that exists in all of Florida.

I encourage you to visit the real Orlando. The tourist area you lampoon so much isn’t even in city limits. It’s like The Strip with Vegas. Downtown Orlando and the surrounding areas are simply incredible. Far less traffic, beautiful parks and lakes, great walkable neighborhoods, award-winning restaurants and bakeries, and the city is growing and transforming, with so much currently being built that categorically and easily outshines anything that Jacksonville has ever had.

Old 12-23-2018, 09:01 AM

4,558 posts, read 2,485,291 times
If for no other reason than the traffic I would never live in Orlando. Its also too far from the ocean for me.

Old 12-24-2018, 07:00 AM

322 posts, read 200,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
If for no other reason than the traffic I would never live in Orlando. Its also too far from the ocean for me.
I agree on this 100%. I want to like Orlando, I really do. Every time I am there the traffic and crowds get to me and my blood pressure rises. I left Boston to get away from traffic like that. Orlando seems to attract every kind of lunatic driver in the country too, which doesn't help.

Old 12-25-2018, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
Well we will find out all of these things for ourselves hopefully . We are leaving Friday morning and have a temp rental in Southside Jacksonville. We are going to travel the state a bit to decide for ourselves and taking the feedback we got from all the forum posts to help in these decisions. We aren’t in a crazy hurry as we have a year or two before we have to find the schools. I’m just excited to get the sunshine and above freezing temps at this point. While commutes aren’t a problem as I work from home, the living far From the beach might be. Although I’d like to think we might have more of a chance not to have to evacuate for hurricanes being off the coast in Orlando versus St John’s or Nassau county. Can’t wait to get on the road!

Old 12-25-2018, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigfoot View Post
Whty aren't you looking at Greenville Sc? It checks all the boxes you've listed.
We like the area, but not for us. We live in Charleston SC for a while (actually Mt Pleasant) and visited the state looking for our forever place but South Carolina is beautiful , but the weather seems to be a tad colder than we thought and the beaches (minus Edisto, Kiawah, pawleys island , seem to be crowded , especially in peak season .

Old 12-25-2018, 09:56 PM

442 posts, read 426,007 times
Quote:
Although I’d like to think we might have more of a chance not to have to evacuate for hurricanes being off the coast in Orlando versus St John’s or Nassau county.

I think your putting to much emphasis on hurricanes. True, you get them in FLA, but it doesn't sound like you are going to be on the barrier islands or house on the beach. Odds are in your favor just being inland a bit. That worry would be last on my list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville