U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2018, 12:01 AM

3 posts, read 1,719 times

Advertisements

I’m leaving Las Vegas and moving my entire business to Jax in 2 months. I bought a 22k sqft building on 4 acres for $650k.

Looking for a place to live as well, I’m pretty much dead set on Mandarin. Here’s my logic:

Nocatee is wayyy too far from my shop. My shop will be on the North side.

Mandarin is gorgeous and has older homes on large lots with no HOAs.

You are centrally located in Mandarin. 30 mins to anywhere.

Keep us updated, I’m really interested to see how you like it.

I’m 32 and it sounds like we are looking for the same thing. Although I don’t have or want kids so schools aren’t a factor for me.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2018, 07:58 AM

482 posts, read 241,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Uncommon_ View Post
I created an account to dispute this comment.
So you're here to troll. Ok.

Fact is, Jax is a larger city, so more crime is expected. But like Orlando (Pine Hills anyone?), it has its areas that are best to be avoided after sundown. Both areas have broad, diverse economies. Jax tends to be more commutable and family friendly vs. the crush of traffic and obnoxious people from all over who tend to inhabit Orlando. If you're single & crave "diversity", go to Orlando. If you're married with kids and seek good schools and upward mobility, Jacksonville gets the nod.

Old 12-26-2018, 09:04 AM

80 posts, read 63,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squarpeg View Post
I think your putting to much emphasis on hurricanes. True, you get them in FLA, but it doesn't sound like you are going to be on the barrier islands or house on the beach. Odds are in your favor just being inland a bit. That worry would be last on my list.
Well that’s a great point. My only knowledge of Florida hurricanes is the over done, hyperbolic news reporting.
It has messed a couple vacations up but we have not been to Florida during a hurricane. However we did have to evacuate Isle of Palms in SC during Florence. Even thought it barely rained . I have been really looking at the flood maps in northern St. John’s county and would love to find a lot to build in a couple years. There’s plenty of high ground that are out of the costly flood plains. As of now we do not wish to live in a place like Nocatee, but I guess we will see.

We will have a few months to get settled before hurricane season in 2019 so hopefully it won’t freak my wife out too much. I will share with her your natives perspective on hurricanes. She’s also been listening to the news way too long .

Old 12-26-2018, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffw View Post
I’m leaving Las Vegas and moving my entire business to Jax in 2 months. I bought a 22k sqft building on 4 acres for $650k.

Looking for a place to live as well, I’m pretty much dead set on Mandarin. Here’s my logic:

Nocatee is wayyy too far from my shop. My shop will be on the North side.

Mandarin is gorgeous and has older homes on large lots with no HOAs.

You are centrally located in Mandarin. 30 mins to anywhere.

Keep us updated, I’m really interested to see how you like it.

I’m 32 and it sounds like we are looking for the same thing. Although I don’t have or want kids so schools aren’t a factor for me.

Wow all that for $650k. Sounds like you got a great deal.

Our rental for the short term is in south side which seems to be a nice area. Mandarin is on our list to look at at for long term lease once we arrive . We had a lot of folks mention the same thing about the great neighborhoods with no fees and the location is great. I will keep posting as we do our research over the next two months, just to see what we can get for the money . Good luck with your business!

Old 12-26-2018, 11:07 AM

482 posts, read 241,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeens84 View Post
Wow all that for $650k. Sounds like you got a great deal.

Our rental for the short term is in south side which seems to be a nice area. Mandarin is on our list to look at at for long term lease once we arrive . We had a lot of folks mention the same thing about the great neighborhoods with no fees and the location is great. I will keep posting as we do our research over the next two months, just to see what we can get for the money . Good luck with your business!
Mandarin is probably the most centrally located place to live in the metro. 20 Mins to downtown, 10 to Orange Park/NAS. 20-25 to the beaches, 15 or so to most Southside business parks. Safe, decent schools, great homes built from the 70's thru now, very easy access to 295 & 95. It's a great alternative to the neighborhoods du jour in Nocatee and North St. Johns Co.

Old 12-29-2018, 05:51 PM

3 posts, read 1,719 times
My 2nd option is Fleming Island, I really like that place as well. Its alittle further and less centrally located though.

Old 12-31-2018, 09:08 AM

333 posts, read 161,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Uncommon_ View Post
I created an account to dispute this comment.

I currently live in Orlando and am on Jax’s forum because I’m interested in the success of Florida’s other cities and will soon be deciding which city to visit in March. I’ve always liked Jacksonville’s potential and want to see it become Florida’s “it” city and direct competitor to Nashville, Austin, Charlotte, or Seattle, etc.

That being said, this post and a couple others about Orlando are way off. “Dump” doesn’t describe Orlando at all. It’s one of the cleanest big cities in the country, and definitely in Florida. The “too many tourists” comment (which is true) ensures the city and county do all they can to sell and promote Orlando as green, clean, and desirable. I work for Clean Works, a county initiative whose sole purpose for existence is keeping the city and downtown spotless, removing any graffiti, and curbing litter. You can say a lot about Orlando, but dump is wholly inaccurate, especially when compared to Jax. Orlando is gentrifying, sad to say, so the overwhelming vast majority of the city is new, which is in stark contrast to Jax, which while gentrifying also, still has so many areas that are dilapidated, blighted, and just dirty.

Crime is rising, that’s true. At the same time, Jacksonville has one of the highest crime rates in the state. Just like any big city, you take the good with the bad. There certainly is enough good to make up for the awful crime that exists in all of Florida.

I encourage you to visit the real Orlando. The tourist area you lampoon so much isn’t even in city limits. It’s like The Strip with Vegas. Downtown Orlando and the surrounding areas are simply incredible. Far less traffic, beautiful parks and lakes, great walkable neighborhoods, award-winning restaurants and bakeries, and the city is growing and transforming, with so much currently being built that categorically and easily outshines anything that Jacksonville has ever had.
Yeah this is the Jax forum, so you will likely see a lot of Jax bias on here. Orlando is great. Love the vibe.

Jacksonville is a wonderful manageable city with decent COL, especially for Florida. I like it a lot. If someone wants a city like Nashville, Austin, or Charlotte, I would probably suggest Orlando. Lots of traffic, but bigger metros with a wide selection of neighborhoods, and amenities. And arguably more opportunities. We shouldn't lampoon any city on this site, especially cities growing as fast as Jax and Orlando. People are drawn to each for a reason.

Imo, though, St Johns county is nicer than anything in Orlando.

Old 12-31-2018, 08:13 PM

11,369 posts, read 15,394,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kombuchaluchador View Post
Yeah this is the Jax forum, so you will likely see a lot of Jax bias on here. Orlando is great. Love the vibe.

Jacksonville is a wonderful manageable city with decent COL, especially for Florida. I like it a lot. If someone wants a city like Nashville, Austin, or Charlotte, I would probably suggest Orlando. Lots of traffic, but bigger metros with a wide selection of neighborhoods, and amenities. And arguably more opportunities. We shouldn't lampoon any city on this site, especially cities growing as fast as Jax and Orlando. People are drawn to each for a reason.

Imo, though, St Johns county is nicer than anything in Orlando.
St. Johns County is very expensive. In fact, it is the 3rd most expensive county in Florida for housing, just behind Monroe County and Collier County.

Old 01-07-2019, 09:31 AM

Just an update. While staying in our short term rental we are looking all over Duval and St. John’s county for a long term rental. We looked in all the Jax neighborhoods and then looked at norther St. John’s and even down to palm coast. We are seriously considering a brand new lennar home in Palencia. We think before we would buy , we need to experience this type of living. We have never even seen a neighborhood like this before moving here. It may not be for us, but for the price and the amenities, this neighborhood can not be beat right now. There were a couple nice places in WGV but they were older and just as expensive. Plus with to young girls, I think being towards St Augustine is better right now. We plan to make a decision this week. We loved Palm coast but there’s not much there. We are however enjoying our stay in southside , so much to do, so many shops and restaurants, and traffic is not bad at all . It seems very safe and quiet for the most part. Lots of diversity which is great for the shopping , social, and food scene. We have had some of the best food of our lives and met some really awesome people we would have never met in Ohio. It’s going to be a huge change to a place like Palencia.

Old 01-07-2019, 09:51 AM

4,558 posts, read 2,487,558 times
Palencia has CDD fees so factor that into your decision. Its certainly a nice community. I would suggest driving from there to places you would frequent so you know the distances involved. Do your research on Lennar as well. Welcome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville