U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2019, 02:28 AM

4,208 posts, read 4,648,674 times

Advertisements

I live in Orlando now, (11 years) but might have to move to Jacksonville for work, but live in St. John's county. Jacksonville's schools just don't cut it so it's St. John's county for schools and a home. But after looking for a decent home the last few months I"m really not happy about this move. The new homes going up are expensive, cheap, zero thought for design. I'm mean just ugly. Wood frame? really? this is Florida and yes I know that area does not get hit often by storms but still, CBS should be the standard in Florida. Then the never ending building for years to come. Lots of land and demand so never ending new developments.

Are there any older areas with decent homes? No CDD fees? Just a normal house? Still looking.

Orlando is booming for homes. There is a huge range of homes, areas, types of homes and many built with CBS (that matters). Schools are a problem, actually lazy kids and parents are the problem, but that's a different discussion. Still, there are nice schools, Maitland, Winter Park. Jobs. - there are a lot and especially in the medical field.

I know live in Baldwin Park, expensive, but better looking area than anything I found in St. John's county. Then there is Maitland. Older, but nice homes form the 60;'s 70's well made, designed.

I dread the thought of living in St. John's county, but economics wins in the end. Maybe another house hunting trip up there will find something decent to buy so we shall see.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2019, 06:12 AM

5,603 posts, read 3,898,280 times
You would be paying a huge premium for a new CBS home in our area for no good reason. They are simply not needed unless you're purchasing a home that is a few miles or less from the beach. And even many of those homes are still built as wood frame. You'll have a very difficult time finding any new homes being built as block. Not impossible but few and far between. Lots of older homes were CBS, if you're insistent on that, you could look to older homes.

But there are newish homes in our area that are CBS - I believe Beazer Homes built some in Durbin Crossing. I'm sure a realtor could set that as a criteria when house hunting. Just be prepared to pay up for them.

Also, have you been to all of St Johns County? I have a hard time understanding why anyone would say they 'DREAD' living here as it can be vastly different depending on what area you're in. It stretches far and wide from the very high end Ponte Vedra Beach homes all the way south past Crescent Beach. Lots and lots of different homes, communities (golf course, smaller beach homes, cookie cutter, older St Augustine and everything inbetween).

Old 02-27-2019, 07:05 AM

271 posts, read 154,026 times
I know Maronda homes is building CBS homes down in Treaty Oaks. They are not very expensive either. Of course the schools are on the low end for St Johns county down there.

Old 02-27-2019, 09:46 AM

80 posts, read 58,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germanoricua View Post
There is a thread on this forum about Satellite Beach and cancer that you might want to read before making a decision.
I tried to read into the cancer scare but I’m having trouble finding the true data and actual investigation findings. I read two state government publications from the two previous investigations, one over thirty years ago and one from the 90s. Both concluded no lonkable causation except for I did not see a follow up on the accusation that the radar from the base causing radiation. It was a different agency and I did not see their publication from the 90s. Needless to say the local new stories were sensational, including with the famous lady from the love canal story speaking out on social media, but I didn’t see a resolution to the allegations. It looks like they did test some of the ground water and found low levels of Plastic chemicals that are known to cause cancers in rats. They also go on to talk about how these allegations are not affecting the economic and real estate growth of the area, which I can not imagine how that’s measurable. How can they predict that growth would not have been greater without the thousands of people who will google satellite beach and the first thing that might come up being a story about decades long cancer concerns. Merely stating that growth has continued at the historic growth rates or recent growth rates is not enough for me. I see that as confirmation bias. There’s so many factors and not all are foreseeable and measurable in my mind. I feel sorry for the residents and even if there’s no casuationn with the correlation found, it would make me a little fearful of purchasing a home in the area, just because they say it is not affecting real estate prices, doesn’t mean it won’t be obvious next week. In today’s time all it takes is one social media post to sneer a whole community if it gets traction. If I lived there I’d continue to fight for the truth and facts and rule out anything I could but for now it seems the news media is making it worse for the people who live there by sensationalizing the story. All attention is not good attention in my mind. But then again that’s what I expect sometimes now from our media. Of course many stories would have never come out and justice would have never been found by lots of people over the decades without brave journalists busting a story wide open. So it’s a fine line. All in all I agree, Jacksonville/ St Augustine right now makes the most sense for investing in real estate. I would not want to invest in Sattelite beach until all the facts are out and the truth surfaces.

Old 02-27-2019, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottamemnon View Post
I know Maronda homes is building CBS homes down in Treaty Oaks. They are not very expensive either. Of course the schools are on the low end for St Johns county down there.
I was going to mention those homes in TO as well. They aren’t bad priced. They’re in there with another couple builders so they are being competitive.

Old 02-27-2019, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by totsuka View Post
I live in Orlando now, (11 years) but might have to move to Jacksonville for work, but live in St. John's county. Jacksonville's schools just don't cut it so it's St. John's county for schools and a home. But after looking for a decent home the last few months I"m really not happy about this move. The new homes going up are expensive, cheap, zero thought for design. I'm mean just ugly. Wood frame? really? this is Florida and yes I know that area does not get hit often by storms but still, CBS should be the standard in Florida. Then the never ending building for years to come. Lots of land and demand so never ending new developments.

Are there any older areas with decent homes? No CDD fees? Just a normal house? Still looking.

Orlando is booming for homes. There is a huge range of homes, areas, types of homes and many built with CBS (that matters). Schools are a problem, actually lazy kids and parents are the problem, but that's a different discussion. Still, there are nice schools, Maitland, Winter Park. Jobs. - there are a lot and especially in the medical field.

I know live in Baldwin Park, expensive, but better looking area than anything I found in St. John's county. Then there is Maitland. Older, but nice homes form the 60;'s 70's well made, designed.

I dread the thought of living in St. John's county, but economics wins in the end. Maybe another house hunting trip up there will find something decent to buy so we shall see.
What I will say is I have talked to a couple builders and even one engineer in the area and I’m finding more and more about the facts behind hurricane construction. First and foremost , being high and dry land EVEN if you aren’t by a major waterway is key. Secondly with the pass though ties and clips and framing they use now on the wood frame slab homes , the only real difference between wind resistance during a hurricane by the numbers , seems to be missle strike resistance. So if a 2x4 comes flying at your house, the CBS home has better resistance to these. Of course this also depends on factors such as 2x6 outer wall framing , sheeting system used over the framing , type of siding and so on. You will also find that window and door quality and resistance is a huge factor and the presence of hurricane shutters, the angles of the roof and overall the layout of the home (shape/height or stories)

Honestly we hate stucco and especially since stucco has been done very poorly over the last few decades and often looks bad and you experience moisture behind the wall and I the framing . If air quality is a concern, be careful with stucco. I hope the same building continues to thrive here as you see in places like SC. They used hardi or cement board siding on every home there. Mostly metal roofs and honestly I prefer this look, seems more coastal and less maintanence. You can do this type of siding over CBS or ICF as well, costs a little more with labor but they will do it.

I started my journey wanting to do a ICF home well out of a flood plain. Mostly because I’m as worried about spin off tornadoes from a passing hurricane. To be completely safe , concrete poured walls or ICF feels to
Me the only path to feeling safe while riding out a hurricane in Florida. But people do it all the time if they are high and dry. I can’t afford an ICF home in St. John’s. I may look at getting out of an HOA neighborhood if there’s any property left near the good schools, and build a garage and appartment our of ICF for visitors or as a safe place to go to during a storm. Backup generator, back up supply of water, dry food storage, and if the big one comes through, we can ride it out. Until then, we are evacuating to Disney , I hope

Old 02-27-2019, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by totsuka View Post

I also agree with Florida 2014, there’s so many options in St John’s. It’s a huge county, it’s almost hard to understand how long it takes to get from the river in fruit cove to the Ponte Vedra beach down to marineland then over to world golf village and don’t forget about all the places in between . If your kids are older, there’s some really nice neighborhoods all around St Augustine that offer some older homes at great prices. If they are older , you could look into the St John’s virtual school. I’m not 100% sure how it works but I know I have neighbors that have middle school and high school kids that do it from home. I would be willing to go outside of northern part of the county if I didn’t require elementary schools a year or so. Hell we can afford beach side property at the end of the county , but the schools leave a lot to be desired. (At least on paper)
We looked at houses in Mandarin and really liked the feel, different county , different altogether feel. But lots of older homes that have been updated with nice neighborhoods. Not too far of a drive to St John’s for work. Schools vet high marks for Duval standards. I liked the feel there. Baymeadows and Southside were both nice for direct city limit burbs if you will. We walked around at night, lots of food options , lots of stuff to do, really diverse and tons of housing ranges from high end golf neighborhoods to 60s ranchers . Fruit cove and julington areas offer some older homes as well. I think we saw some older homes in the Switzerland area west towards the river, but you have to be careful, some of them were built in flood prone areas and we noticed some really high insurance rates. Some of the most exclusive older homes on beautiful property we have seen in Florida were along the river and in some of the Switzerland neighborhoods. This may be an option for you. I think you may dread the move now but once you start exploring, there’s something for everyone here. I can tell you I was worried as well because we moved a couple times to places that did not meet the hype. But this place is one that lives up to it. The people who tell you all the negative things are not being fully honest. We are so optimistic with our choice to come here, because no matter what happens we know we can find something that will fit our needs long-term and we can live a good life here. We don’t have to settle. One of the reasons I want to go down to the space Coast is so I can rule out that extra hunch that I have but it may be more affordable than here but if I’ve learned anything you get what you pay for. So I would bet we stay here long term and we will just have to work a little harder to afford the things we want.

Old 02-27-2019, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeens84 View Post
One of the reasons I want to go down to the space Coast is so I can rule out that extra hunch that I have but it may be more affordable than here but if I’ve learned anything you get what you pay for. So I would bet we stay here long term and we will just have to work a little harder to afford the things we want.
Since I have done some of that same research I will just let you know what I felt about the space coast, and the reason why I keep taking it out of consideration every time I feel like exploring. There are a lot more retirees there I felt. Northern St Johns up through Duval seems to avoid this common aspect of Florida.

When it comes to the beach areas, they just do not compare with the stretch from Ponte Vedra Beach all the way to Neptune Beach for appearance of housing, available amenities, etc.

The big plus in that area is Viera, and the thing that keeps it in the back of my mind. Viera is a major master planned community that has built out to a point that its close to showing its final potential. In the Jacksonville region, Nocatee will probably ultimately have a similar feeling. Its one of the few master planned developments that approaches the completeness we were used to when we lived in Texas. Of course it comes at a premium, and I am not sure its worth that premium with rougher spots so close by.

We also really like the difference in seasons in Jacksonville. Being from Massachusetts, but having lived in Houston, we wanted some time with the windows open and our furniture not being wet for it. Jax really provides that well. The Space Coast is closer to the never gets cold territory, and the humidity difference was noticable.

Old 02-28-2019, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottamemnon View Post
Since I have done some of that same research I will just let you know what I felt about the space coast, and the reason why I keep taking it out of consideration every time I feel like exploring. There are a lot more retirees there I felt. Northern St Johns up through Duval seems to avoid this common aspect of Florida.

When it comes to the beach areas, they just do not compare with the stretch from Ponte Vedra Beach all the way to Neptune Beach for appearance of housing, available amenities, etc.

The big plus in that area is Viera, and the thing that keeps it in the back of my mind. Viera is a major master planned community that has built out to a point that its close to showing its final potential. In the Jacksonville region, Nocatee will probably ultimately have a similar feeling. Its one of the few master planned developments that approaches the completeness we were used to when we lived in Texas. Of course it comes at a premium, and I am not sure its worth that premium with rougher spots so close by.

We also really like the difference in seasons in Jacksonville. Being from Massachusetts, but having lived in Houston, we wanted some time with the windows open and our furniture not being wet for it. Jax really provides that well. The Space Coast is closer to the never gets cold territory, and the humidity difference was noticable.
Thank you for your advice , it is well received. We have looked at several houses in Nocatee and even Ponte Vedra beach, but our big hang up was the beach acesss and quality. We may have missed the other accesses when we came last summer but when we tried to get on the beach at the couple public beach access is on the north end of Ponte Vedra Beach, they were packed. The only other places we noticed were at the beach club in Ponte Vedra Beach and then down the road at the research beaches. Well and besides Mickler‘s Landing, and there wasn’t a parking spot to be found there either. The beach quality and the difficulty getting small children over the beach at the research beaches is just not our style. I’m not sure what the other beaches in the lower part of the county are like but in comparison to the beach at Saint Augustine, man there’s quite a difference in the sand quality and also the slope and shape of the beach itself. We have yet to go on the beach at Palm Coast or in Marineland. we are going to attempt to drive around Saint Augustine Beach when we want to go which is about 35 minutes from Palencia. If it’s too crowded there during peak season we may go on and try Marineland or Palm Coast just down the road. But that’s gonna put us 45 minutes or even an hour to get out on the beach. American beach up on Amelia Island was nice last week when we went. There were some rough spots but it’s much flatter and being able to drive on it’s nice. We did not get a chance to assess to sand the quality inn beach quality up in Fernandina Beach. We also want to drive down to Flagler and Ormond and see what they are like as well.

Old 02-28-2019, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeens84 View Post
Thank you for your advice , it is well received. We have looked at several houses in Nocatee and even Ponte Vedra beach, but our big hang up was the beach acesss and quality. We may have missed the other accesses when we came last summer but when we tried to get on the beach at the couple public beach access is on the north end of Ponte Vedra Beach, they were packed. The only other places we noticed were at the beach club in Ponte Vedra Beach and then down the road at the research beaches. Well and besides Mickler‘s Landing, and there wasn’t a parking spot to be found there either. The beach quality and the difficulty getting small children over the beach at the research beaches is just not our style. I’m not sure what the other beaches in the lower part of the county are like but in comparison to the beach at Saint Augustine, man there’s quite a difference in the sand quality and also the slope and shape of the beach itself. We have yet to go on the beach at Palm Coast or in Marineland. we are going to attempt to drive around Saint Augustine Beach when we want to go which is about 35 minutes from Palencia. If it’s too crowded there during peak season we may go on and try Marineland or Palm Coast just down the road. But that’s gonna put us 45 minutes or even an hour to get out on the beach. American beach up on Amelia Island was nice last week when we went. There were some rough spots but it’s much flatter and being able to drive on it’s nice. We did not get a chance to assess to sand the quality inn beach quality up in Fernandina Beach. We also want to drive down to Flagler and Ormond and see what they are like as well.
The beach on Fernandina Beach is really nice. Its better than Mickler's landing for sure(where we normally go since its close).

I just wish I could wrap my head around the future of Yulee and the schools up there, because downtown Fernandina Beach and the beach itself is really great. I just think we can only afford Yulee in the new build areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or