Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2019, 05:50 PM

1,559 posts, read 2,151,144 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
Same here. We wanted low cost of living, access to the beach, warm weather, good schools.....we found all of that in St Johns Co. Worked remote as well and could have lived anywhere.
Same with us as well. We're remote and chose PVB. Could've gone anywhere FWIW. We have family here and it's a great place to live. No regrets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2019, 08:02 PM

486 posts, read 516,648 times
Just to add to the rest, my wife and I both work remote, could have gone anywhere in Florida(or any other state if I asked), and chose Jacksonville after visiting much of Central and Northern Florida. After 7 months in we are looking to buy a house sometime in the next 8-12 months here. We lived in Houston and Massachusetts previously and love Jacksonville. It's not perfect(nowhere is), but it provides a lot without the traffic insanity of a Houston or Boston. Slower pace of life in general, and a better year-round environment in my mind.

Old 02-24-2019, 08:21 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,947,442 times
No, I would not continue to live in Jacksonville if I worked from home 100% of the time. I don't dislike it here, but there are better places to live.

Old 02-26-2019, 08:09 AM

7,777 posts, read 10,160,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by remote_ceo View Post
Hi All

Here's my situation: I'm 27yo married (expecting our first born soon), originally from Eastern Europe, lived in North Africa, DC, Miami, Austin, and partially grew up in Jacksonville. I run a company all online, and make a very healthy income -- all online, from my house.

My wife and I have been living in Jax for a year now, and have been having second thoughts. The housing prices seem very high in comparison to Boca Raton, Miami and Austin. Yes, Miami may be a tad bit more, but I like to think that you are paying a premium living in Miami, wheras you should get somewhat of a 'discount' for living in Jax, but it seems to be only 10% cheaper or so than in Miami.

My questions to you smart people:
1) If it genienly didn't matter where you work from (imagine you worked 110% online - without ever even having to meet someone in person/office), would you live in Jacksonville?

2) Are there any housing areas we should be looking at? (Currently live near town center, apartments, however, looking to purchase a home and would like to spend $400k or less)

3) Would you buy a house in Jax if you were in my situation, or not if you didnt have anything holding you "down" ? It'd be my first house, so I'm somewhat excited

P.S.: I hope my username doesn't sound offputting, I'm not really creative, and just figured it'd describe my situation. Hope it doesn't rub anyone the wrong way!
I guess it depends on your perspective but to me the "premium" is more than 10% for Jax vs Miami. That is for comparable properties in comparable neighborhoods. Same with Austin...although I don't know it extremely well we have several friends there and have visited a handful of times and looked at real estate prices in our friends' neighborhoods. Anyway, to your questions...

1) Yes and no. We used to and now we don't. There are some external factors involved but it is true we could have lived/worked anywhere and were happy in Jax. We needed to move to Miami two years ago but in August will be able to move anywhere again but are happy to stay here for a few more years. It is entirely possible we will move back to Jax but chances are that will not happen for awhile (after Miami we plan to move to Asia, then travel around the world, then return to the US in about 10 years from now, at which point Jax would be a dark horse candidate)

2) Depends on you and your preferences. For me I would live at the beach or in the urban core.

3) I would buy if I were me in your situation. For you, if you aren't sure you will be happy in Jax then it may not be wise.

Old 02-26-2019, 11:54 AM

9 posts, read 8,439 times
You are expecting a child so if it was me, I would target counties with the best schools. If you want to stay in Florida then that is Saint Johns County. That's not to say there aren't good schools elsewhere, but it would definitely be a big selling point to making a decision of staying near Jacksonville.

Old 02-27-2019, 06:51 AM

314 posts, read 439,783 times
If it were me and I worked 100% online then no. I would not live here. You and your spouse need to figure out what tyoe of climate you like, beaches, mountains, water, snow, humidity, heat, 4 seasons, etc.

I like Hernando Beach area because you can still buy a house with a deep water dock on your backyard directly to the Gulf. For me, that would be great since I like to fish and dive (black water diving, yes black, and dark, like diving in coffee with alligators looking for fossil sharks teeth). Although I hate HATE the humidity here but I have a wonderful job were it is 95% at their location lol If I could live anywhere in the US it would be out West for the dry heat, the mountains and yes I can still dive but much safer, no alligators in the water with me!

For the record, I am jealous that you are able to work from home. Make sure you help out with the baby and you will be golden! good luck OP!

Old 02-28-2019, 10:59 AM

40 posts, read 66,888 times
Move. Married 29 year old here, no kids yet. We will be moving before kids. We are not from here and moved for jobs, which we can find somewhere else.

Old 02-28-2019, 07:39 PM

2 posts, read 1,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murabelladawg View Post
You are expecting a child so if it was me, I would target counties with the best schools. If you want to stay in Florida then that is Saint Johns County. That's not to say there aren't good schools elsewhere, but it would definitely be a big selling point to making a decision of staying near Jacksonville.
Thanks, but there's years before the kid will start going to soon, God willing. I've lived in 3 continents in the last 2 years, so I'm totally ok moving around a bit
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville