U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2019, 10:24 PM

2 posts, read 833 times

Advertisements

Hi All

Here's my situation: I'm 27yo married (expecting our first born soon), originally from Eastern Europe, lived in North Africa, DC, Miami, Austin, and partially grew up in Jacksonville. I run a company all online, and make a very healthy income -- all online, from my house.

My wife and I have been living in Jax for a year now, and have been having second thoughts. The housing prices seem very high in comparison to Boca Raton, Miami and Austin. Yes, Miami may be a tad bit more, but I like to think that you are paying a premium living in Miami, wheras you should get somewhat of a 'discount' for living in Jax, but it seems to be only 10% cheaper or so than in Miami.

My questions to you smart people:
1) If it genienly didn't matter where you work from (imagine you worked 110% online - without ever even having to meet someone in person/office), would you live in Jacksonville?

2) Are there any housing areas we should be looking at? (Currently live near town center, apartments, however, looking to purchase a home and would like to spend $400k or less)

3) Would you buy a house in Jax if you were in my situation, or not if you didnt have anything holding you "down" ? It'd be my first house, so I'm somewhat excited

P.S.: I hope my username doesn't sound offputting, I'm not really creative, and just figured it'd describe my situation. Hope it doesn't rub anyone the wrong way!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2019, 08:55 AM

23 posts, read 14,515 times
There are some great neighborhoods in Jacksonville. It also depends on what type of living you want. How close do you want to be to the beach, or any type of water or is that even a consideration. Schools are another big question public or private, especially since you have your first baby on the way (congrats to you and yours on your new addition).

So would I live in Jax, yes, if it was the right neighborhood.

Old 02-24-2019, 10:27 AM

5,939 posts, read 4,263,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by remote_ceo View Post

My wife and I have been living in Jax for a year now, and have been having second thoughts. The housing prices seem very high in comparison to Boca Raton, Miami and Austin.
Really? Where exactly in Jacksonville are you looking? While there are exceptions, you can certainly get a lot more house for your buck in Jax vs. Miami and Boca. I don't know enough about Austin to comment but I would assume it's at least somewhat comparable to Jacksonville.

If you have a child on the way schools would be important. With a budget of $400K you could find a newer home in a great neighborhood in many St Johns County neighborhoods, south of Jacksonville. Find a good realtor and let him/her show you what you can get for that budget.

Old 02-24-2019, 01:15 PM

325 posts, read 201,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
Really? Where exactly in Jacksonville are you looking? While there are exceptions, you can certainly get a lot more house for your buck in Jax vs. Miami and Boca. I don't know enough about Austin to comment but I would assume it's at least somewhat comparable to Jacksonville.

If you have a child on the way schools would be important. With a budget of $400K you could find a newer home in a great neighborhood in many St Johns County neighborhoods, south of Jacksonville. Find a good realtor and let him/her show you what you can get for that budget.
You would pay a LOT more in Austin too. Its the most out of control housing market in the state of Texas. You would also gain property tax rates above 3 or even 4% of the value of your house in some of the newer areas.

Old 02-24-2019, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottamemnon View Post
You would pay a LOT more in Austin too. Its the most out of control housing market in the state of Texas. You would also gain property tax rates above 3 or even 4% of the value of your house in some of the newer areas.
Good point. Plus, remember that if you call Florida home you pay no state income taxes, if that helps sway you to Jax vs. Austin.

Old 02-24-2019, 04:33 PM

325 posts, read 201,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
Good point. Plus, remember that if you call Florida home you pay no state income taxes, if that helps sway you to Jax vs. Austin.
It would be the same in Texas.

Old 02-24-2019, 05:14 PM

23 posts, read 19,151 times
We moved from the mid-west, could have moved to anywhere, and chose Jax. Jax home prices and cost of living is roughly equivalent to the mid-west. I will never live in Texas or the carolinas, and the west coast is too expensive. Bought our first house recently and no regrets.

Old 02-24-2019, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottamemnon View Post
It would be the same in Texas.
Ah yes. Sometimes I forget about their tax exempt status as well.

Old 02-24-2019, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M division View Post
We moved from the mid-west, could have moved to anywhere, and chose Jax. Jax home prices and cost of living is roughly equivalent to the mid-west. I will never live in Texas or the carolinas, and the west coast is too expensive. Bought our first house recently and no regrets.
Same here. We wanted low cost of living, access to the beach, warm weather, good schools.....we found all of that in St Johns Co. Worked remote as well and could have lived anywhere.

Old 02-24-2019, 06:39 PM

221 posts, read 142,216 times
You have lived in Jax for one year, so you should be able to decide if you like Jax.

- Does the city offer things that are to your liking, e. g. entertainment, cultural events, sports events, nature etc.?

- Do you like the mentality of the people in Jax?

If all of that is to your liking, go for it.

If I could move anywhere I choose, I would definitely NOT choose Jacksonville. But that is me (I lived there over 10 years). It all depends on your personal preferences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville