Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2019, 06:26 AM

9,382 posts, read 8,345,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
A FEW restaurants?????? You really need to talk to those folks in these high crime areas of Jax and see what they think of "morals" and "values" here. One guy, in a neighborhood where a shooting took place, told a news reporter that he was putting his house up for sale and leaving the entire area. "I've had enough", he told the reporter.
Yes, A FEW restaurants, that's what you said above. Or did you forget already? I have a feeling based on the way you repeat yourself you likely have trouble with recall.

Old 03-27-2019, 07:03 AM

8,938 posts, read 20,360,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
Yes, A FEW restaurants, that's what you said above. Or did you forget already? I have a feeling based on the way you repeat yourself you likely have trouble with recall.
It's obvious you LOVE Jacksonville and that's fine, however there are some that don't, and we have met them. When I was talking about the mall and TC, I was referring to all the people here that have nice salaries and nice/new cars. Both can really, really be seen here. People here will basically ignore the crime here, because of that income, just like those folks in Chicago, NYC, Dallas or any other big major city. Even with the winter weather that hits NYC, there are people there that wouldn't even think of moving here or anywhere in Florida...…….even if the crime wasn't as bad as it is.

Bottom Line: To each their own on where they want to live.

Old 03-30-2019, 06:41 AM

2,625 posts, read 4,006,088 times
High crime rates are not a "function of being in a city". Otherwise all cities would have similar crime rates - and they don't. Otherwise NYC would have the highest crime rate in the country. And it doesn't. It has one of the lowest.

How does one explain the very low murder rates of San Diego, Dallas, NYC, Seattle, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Portland, and yes, the low murder rates of Boston and Denver? The murder rate in San Diego, Dallas and NYC is almost a quarter less than that of Jax.

I don't have the answers, I haven't studied the issue. But it seems for the people we elect, that's their job, and the answer lies in figuring out (by them asking the elected officials of these cities) what the cities with the low murder rates are doing and what they have in common. I do know that NYC had one of the worst violent crime rates in the 70, 80s and 90s. It was cleaned up and became one of the safest cities through strategic policing by NYPD.

How are Dallas, Los Angeles, NYC, SFO, Boston and Denver different from cities with high and the highest murder rates - New Orleans, Cleveland, Memphis, Chicago, Cincinnati, Philly, Pittsburgh, Indy, Milwaukee, DC, Atlanta, Nashville, Columbus, Louisville, Savannah, Jax…?

What is different? The people in power and the people who live in these places care enough to do something about crime, and not have the attitude "well, crime is everywhere, that's just the nature of cities, there's nothing we can do." That's a copout, and we should all expect - and demand - more from the people in power that are able to effect change and from ourselves and those around us. The way we, as citizens, can effect change is to not bury our head in the sand, and show we care about where we live with our vote and our voice. If we don't acknowledge that there is a crime problem and demand change, it will never happen.

Thomas Rogers wrote an excellent article in 2011 called "What Really Cleaned Up NY". Interesting reading for anyone who cares about violent crime and what can be done about it. He states that you don't have to fix the culture, the economy or the schools to reduce violent crime by 80%, but that deeper changes where crime is less a problem take looking at those issues once the violent crime rate has been reduced substantially.

Last edited by macalan; 03-30-2019 at 07:15 AM..

Old 03-30-2019, 12:18 PM

Quote:
It's obvious you LOVE Jacksonville and that's fine, however there are some that don't, and we have met them. When I was talking about the mall and TC, I was referring to all the people here that have nice salaries and nice/new cars. Both can really, really be seen here. People here will basically ignore the crime here, because of that income, just like those folks in Chicago, NYC, Dallas or any other big major city. Even with the winter weather that hits NYC, there are people there that wouldn't even think of moving here or anywhere in Florida...…….even if the crime wasn't as bad as it is.

Bottom Line: To each their own on where they want to live.
I've never seen a regular poster on City Data who is consistently so wrong and draws such ridiculous generalizations about things as you do, LoveBoating. It's laughable how you gauge important topics like crime by looking at cars in parking lots. Your views on most everything are stunningly bizarre.

As others have stated, Jacksonville is an enormous city and isn't even in the top 30 in the U.S. in terms of homicides PER CAPITA, which is the only important statistic if we're comparing cities. A city with 1.7 million people is of course going to have a high total number of crimes simply do to the fact that the population is larger. The per capita figure is what we should be looking at and Jacksonville isn't even close to cities like Chicago, East St. Louis or Baltimore.

Old 03-30-2019, 12:20 PM

Old 03-30-2019, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
I've never seen a regular poster on City Data who is consistently so wrong and draws such ridiculous generalizations about things as you do, LoveBoating. It's laughable how you gauge important topics like crime by looking at cars in parking lots. Your views on most everything are stunningly bizarre.

As others have stated, Jacksonville is an enormous city and isn't even in the top 30 in the U.S. in terms of homicides PER CAPITA, which is the only important statistic if we're comparing cities. A city with 1.7 million people is of course going to have a high total number of crimes simply do to the fact that the population is larger. The per capita figure is what we should be looking at and Jacksonville isn't even close to cities like Chicago, East St. Louis or Baltimore.
YOU really should read the post above yours here.

I’m not ridiculous, Jacksonville’s crime stats are, without a doubt, HIGH! So many murders, more than anywhere I’ve ever lived. That’s just fact!

You can say what you want, but there are much, much safer areas of the U.S. than here.

Old 03-31-2019, 08:45 AM

Quote:
YOU really should read the post above yours here.

I’m not ridiculous, Jacksonville’s crime stats are, without a doubt, HIGH! So many murders, more than anywhere I’ve ever lived. That’s just fact!

You can say what you want, but there are much, much safer areas of the U.S. than here.
So there happens to be less crime in other areas of the U.S.? SHOCKING!

Old 03-31-2019, 09:58 AM

5,130 posts, read 6,123,485 times
We do have our share of violent crime but for as long as we have been in the area it seems like it is happening in the west side. That's not to say we don't have violent crime in other areas but it seems a good eighty percent is in a specific area of Jacksonville.

Last edited by JBtwinz; 03-31-2019 at 10:13 AM..

Old 03-31-2019, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post
We do have our share of violent crime but for as long as we have been in the area it seems like it is happening in the west side. That's not to say we don't have violent crime in other areas but it seems a good eighty percent is in a specific area of Jacksonville.
Westside, Northside, Northwest Side and parts of the Southside.

Just this weekend, two arguments involving two shootings.

Old 04-01-2019, 06:14 AM

28 posts, read 24,044 times
Quote:
Well, I'm not from the northeast, but when we lived in Huntersville, NC for a little over a year, there was very little crime there. But, most people that lived in Huntersville, had to drive some distance to get to their job in Charlotte or the Concord area.

Northern Colorado, which many people living in Jax don't even know where is, or really even care, hasn't got nearly the crime that Denver metro, the Springs or Pueblo can have. But, the good salaries are in Denver metro, the Springs and some in Pueblo.

People will take a transfer, to stay out of the Unemployment Office, to places like Jax, Chicago, NYC, Portland and even Los Angeles, even though the crime rate is high or there is winter. There's a lady at our complex that took a transfer from Portland to Jax. To this day she says "I should have stayed in Portland where my family is, but I want to retire with the company I work for, so took the transfer to here." Talked to a young guy from Iowa at iHop yesterday morning, who took a transfer to here, but told us that within a couple of years, or less, he is going back to Iowa. He told me "it's just too unfriendly here".

Every major city in the U.S. has crime problems, but for many, that's where the nice wages are. They want to afford going to concerts, out to dinner, shopping, nice vehicle and so on. Many people in Jax feel just that way. "Good wages, Happy Hour, nice/new car, eating/shopping at the Town Center...…...what's not to like about Jacksonville? Crime? I don't care about that!".

As far as St John's County goes, it's already been noted by both SJSO and JSO that criminals from Jax have done crimes in SJC.

And, there are those that can't afford to live in the area of The Avenues Mall or the Town Center which are both very well known to be quite low in crime. A lot of times, a person really has to look to see a JSO patrol car in either of those areas.

Portland definitely has this problem.. i can tell you that. This Iowa guy was referring to Jacksonville not being friendly though huh?

I don't know what to say but with everything I been reading, seems like I would like Jacksonville but if its just getting overcrowded like other cities are, I'd rather not move there. I am looking for sunbelt cities to live in or metro areas, areas of lesser cost. I am in the Portland area and its just too depressing weather wise and socially and looking for a change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville