Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2019, 08:31 AM

10 posts, read 19,526 times

Advertisements

I'm a single, retired military, African American female who loves to be active and enjoy all outdoor activities. I'm in the process of relocating to Florida and have chosen Nocatee as my retirement community because of the adventure it offers. During my research, I've learned that certain communities are apart of Duval County while others are apart of St John county. I don't have school age kids but I plan to choose a community that's apart of St. John county. As I continue to research Nocatee and the surrounding area, I notice that I don't see many African Americans in the area. Can someone tell me if this community is a diverse community?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2019, 10:09 AM

1,555 posts, read 2,122,662 times
I'll be honest, Nocatee and surrounding areas (ie. PVB) wouldn't exactly be considered a poster child for diversity. If you look at figure 9 in the link below, you'll see that African Americans make up 0.9% of the population with 93.5 white and 4.3% Asian. Not trying to discourage you but if it's diversity you're looking for, Nocatee exactly wouldn't check the box off in that regard (FWIW, I'm Asian).

https://www.towncharts.com/Florida/D...hics-data.html

Old 03-03-2019, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan Putski View Post
I'll be honest, Nocatee and surrounding areas (ie. PVB) wouldn't exactly be considered a poster child for diversity. If you look at figure 9 in the link below, you'll see that African Americans make up 0.9% of the population with 93.5 white and 4.3% Asian. Not trying to discourage you but if it's diversity you're looking for, Nocatee exactly wouldn't check the box off in that regard (FWIW, I'm Asian).

https://www.towncharts.com/Florida/D...hics-data.html
Thank you for your response. SMH

Old 03-03-2019, 02:17 PM

1,332 posts, read 2,168,380 times
Jacksonville has a long history of poor race relations, drugs, and violent crime like many large cities. A lot of people go to St. John's county to escape the problems. The gated communities and good school districts make them feel safer.

The lack of diversity has more to do with the lack of a large upwardly mobile African American middle class in Jacksonville like Atlanta or DC. They want safe homes and good schools just like everyone else buy can't afford the home prices and probably don't feel comfortable in a mostly white area.

Old 03-03-2019, 04:35 PM

6,275 posts, read 4,758,955 times
First, thank you for your service to our country. When we started looking in St Johns County we considered Nocatee but eventually chose Ponte Vedra Beach because the lots were larger. Nocatee is a nice family oriented community, it has lots of amenities and more every day. Diversity is not something that comes to mind when I think of Nocatee and that is a decision you will have to make for yourself. I wish you all the best.

Old 03-03-2019, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logybogy View Post
Jacksonville has a long history of poor race relations, drugs, and violent crime like many large cities. A lot of people go to St. John's county to escape the problems. The gated communities and good school districts make them feel safer.

The lack of diversity has more to do with the lack of a large upwardly mobile African American middle class in Jacksonville like Atlanta or DC. They want safe homes and good schools just like everyone else buy can't afford the home prices and probably don't feel comfortable in a mostly white area.
I can relate to that. Thank you for your opinion.

Old 03-03-2019, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
First, thank you for your service to our country. When we started looking in St Johns County we considered Nocatee but eventually chose Ponte Vedra Beach because the lots were larger. Nocatee is a nice family oriented community, it has lots of amenities and more every day. Diversity is not something that comes to mind when I think of Nocatee and that is a decision you will have to make for yourself. I wish you all the best.
Thank you

Old 03-07-2019, 02:26 PM

14 posts, read 19,508 times
We are black family and have lived in Nocatee for almost 3 years. Just like previous posters stated-it is far from diverse but we knew that before moving here. Yes, there are people who move to certain areas of a Jacksonville metro to get away from crime (which is everywhere- just less rampant in some parts) and/or people of other races but I believe most of the people who live in Nocatee, Durbin Crossing, Bartram, Aberdeen, Rivertown, Palancia , or any community (if they have a choice) do so because they want to live in an environment with others who share similar values, has great schools, and is safe- for the most part. However, there are a lot of people who live here that have 1st world problems that I find hilarious! Especially since I grew up in a community up north that was not so great. Our interactions with our neighbors and others in the community have been positive.

Since you are active, you should enjoy the miles of trails, bike friendly roads, multiple large swimming pools including Splash Park, parks, and the soon to open Nocatee Landing.

We like living here and I believe you will enjoy Nocatee if you decide to move here! Good Luck!

Old 03-11-2019, 01:11 PM

Thank you so much for your response. I just signed my contract with the community of E-town this pass Sunday. E-town is a new master plan community that is also develop by PARC group located on the Southside. I'm glad to hear that you enjoy living there, it was a hard decision to make since Nocatee had everything I wanted. My contract is contingent because the community is doing Pre-Sales and haven't established an HOA/Covenants. So, if things don't work out, Nocatee will be back on my list.

Old 03-11-2019, 06:28 PM

6,275 posts, read 4,758,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcgregor View Post
Thank you so much for your response. I just signed my contract with the community of E-town this pass Sunday. E-town is a new master plan community that is also develop by PARC group located on the Southside. I'm glad to hear that you enjoy living there, it was a hard decision to make since Nocatee had everything I wanted. My contract is contingent because the community is doing Pre-Sales and haven't established an HOA/Covenants. So, if things don't work out, Nocatee will be back on my list.
Good luck. If you have the chance, I would get as far away from I-295 as you can. Marconi and Edison appear to be the farthest away. Since you are one of the first you should have your pick of the lots. Again best of luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville