Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2019, 05:58 AM

11 posts, read 22,671 times

Advertisements

We're considering a move to FL to be closer to family. We see that the Nocatee/PVB schools are high-rated along with the rest of St Johns County. I drove down to check out the area last year and saw Nocatee's amenities which were great. But I also learned about CDD fees... and saw how much land is still open for development... and how far a drive it would be to do some shopping or take kids to activities. My first reaction was - Nocatee would be good bc of amenities and family atmosphere. Then I drove out to PVB where the beach is walking distance, no CDD fees but fewer/no amenities in the subdivisions and many of the homes in our price range would need remodeling. Our budget is $650k-ish. And then there's Beachwalk with the crystal lagoon. Wow, that is a beauty, breathtaking really. But CDD fees are high, school zone seems uncertain and less convenient to the beach. I think it will be something very cool eventually but will be under construction for a long time. What do the locals think about that subdivision? PVB vs Nocatee for families? PVB seems more convenient to restaurants, etc. How is flooding there with storms? I saw alot of hurricane damage still, and many homes for sale as-is.

Other factors we're considering... our kids do ballet, gymnastics, swimming, wrestling and golf. Which area is more convenient to these activities? Do any ballet studios put on the Nutcracker? I noticed a couple gymnasiums but they're in Jax... which is good for pre-team level gymnast to learn tumbling, etc?

I also read about overcrowding at Micklers and lack of parking and assume that will only get worse as Nocatee grows... so walking distance would be good. Do people really get beach club memberships for this reason? If so, which one?

When you're living in these areas with a family, do you find yourselves constantly driving into Jax for activities, shopping, etc? I would like to avoid that if possible.

In PVB, how friendly are people in the various neighborhoods? Do kids play outside and ride bikes in the streets? I read that Sawmill Lakes is a great community for that. Any others?

Thanks for your insight!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2019, 09:45 AM

1,558 posts, read 2,149,489 times
Read through the following link (in addition to the links within that thread) and let us know if you have any other questions. Has answers to most of the questions you have as well other PVB insights.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/jacks...-families.html

As for Beachwalk, I know most folks around here think it's the biggest joke ever and people will eventually regret buying there. No offense to those considering, but I wouldn't touch those properties under any circumstances.

Do people join beach clubs because of Micklers? Yes and no. Some want a golf membership and the beach club is a bonus. We just wanted the beach club/fitness center/dining and being able to play golf is a plus. We're members at Sawgrass CC.

Old 03-06-2019, 10:21 AM

9,382 posts, read 8,351,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan Putski View Post

As for Beachwalk, I know most folks around here think it's the biggest joke ever and people will eventually regret buying there. No offense to those considering, but I wouldn't touch those properties under any circumstances.
I feel similarly, especially after seeing their initial pricing on homes that are so close you could high-5 your neighbors.

I will say the main entrances into the development look really cool at night.

Old 03-07-2019, 04:53 AM

41 posts, read 45,989 times
Questions we're dealing with ourselves, too, but ultimately we're a golf/beach family so the decision came down to that and thus PVB in the very near future.

As for the amenities at Nocatee, can outsiders buy day passes, like $30 a person per day or something like that? Or can residents there buy guest passes?

One thing to also consider: golfers are typically a close-nit, generous group. You join one top club in PVB and you'll meet people from the other clubs through tournaments, playing together, golf networks pretty easily. So in that area it would be Sawgrass CC, PV Inn and Club, Sawgrass Charter Membership, Sawgrass Dye's Valley annual. I'd rank Marsh Landing lower and Plantation as it's own separate entity. That's how I've gotten to know members at other clubs in my neck of the woods: I know people at other clubs because of people I've met through my club.

Old 03-07-2019, 05:06 AM

11 posts, read 22,671 times
Thank you for the link - lot of good info! I explored those pages and they confirmed some of my thoughts.

It's interesting that the locals think Beachwalk is a joke. When I saw the prices over $1M for large duplexes on the lagoon, I was shocked a bit - and they were already all sold. They're starting to lower the prices to get people in, waiving CDD fees, offering huge upgrade credits, etc. There is one subdivision in there with SF homes and larger lots. That being said, I find it far too risky to be one of the early ones in there. Maybe once others take the bait and CDDs get paid off, it will become more appealing. The amenities are gorgeous.

Based on what I've read, it seems like Plantation and Sawmill Lakes are probably the best bets. I would prefer a new construction home, but there is little land left under $300k in PVB. There are several, small new home subdivisions to consider.

For a remodel - are there issues finding good/affordable contractors in that area like there are in many other Florida cities? Any recommendations?

And the question I didn't see any info on is flooding. I haven't looked at the GIS map for the neighborhoods yet, but Marsh Landing and the houses on the intercoastal seemed to have been hit significantly, some non-recovered, in the storms. When there is a heavy rainstorm, are there also issues there in these communities in particular (Plantation, Sawmill Lakes, Marsh Landing)?

Think we've ruled out Nocatee.

Old 03-07-2019, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanfaith View Post
Based on what I've read, it seems like Plantation and Sawmill Lakes are probably the best bets. I would prefer a new construction home, but there is little land left under $300k in PVB. There are several, small new home subdivisions to consider.

For a remodel - are there issues finding good/affordable contractors in that area like there are in many other Florida cities? Any recommendations?

And the question I didn't see any info on is flooding. I haven't looked at the GIS map for the neighborhoods yet, but Marsh Landing and the houses on the intercoastal seemed to have been hit significantly, some non-recovered, in the storms. When there is a heavy rainstorm, are there also issues there in these communities in particular (Plantation, Sawmill Lakes, Marsh Landing)?

Think we've ruled out Nocatee.
With respect to The Plantation, keep in mind you'll have to pay an initiation fee of $46k and monthly dues of $1,000 to $1,200 per month, no way out of it. Due to the limited supply of buyers that are willing to pay those fees, homes sell at a discount and sit on the market longer. Sawmill Lakes just has an HOA of $100 per month. 2 completely different developments.

As for remodel, no issues finding reputable contractors nut they can range all over the place in terms of price. We had a custom builder come in they quoted $180k for kitchen, 1 bath (out of 3) and all new flooring (no thanks). Another came in at around $75k for the same reno (my neighbor used them and they did a fantastic job).

Flooding: AFAIK, no issues in The Plantation, Sawmill Lakes, Odoms or any on the other developments along Palm Valley Rd. We had 25" of rain during the 3 days preceding and on the day Irma arrived. Our development had 1 house out of 350 that had water intrusion from the retention pond (we live in Palm Valley section of PVB). As a matter of fact, the new flood maps recently rezoned our development to a non-flood zone. As a result, our mortgage company removed the requirement to withhold monthly escrow for the FEMA subsidized NFIP $500 per year flood insurance. Homes in Marsh Landing near Cabbage creek and other tributaries/marsh area as well as homes along Roscoe Rd (ie. intercoastal) and Neck Rd (Guana/PV Lake) got hit.

Last edited by Ivan Putski; 03-07-2019 at 05:38 AM..

Old 03-07-2019, 07:39 AM

41 posts, read 45,989 times
Here are my thoughts about Plantation as I looked into joining. The fees are actually $1485 but include lawn care for the smaller lots. The price for us wasn't a concern because we'd golf a lot. But I've opted against the neighborhood. Although it's becoming more family friendly with 200 or so school age children, that's still a low density considering there are 600 houses. It does, however, seem like the safest place for kids to play in the streets.

1. Our neighbor actually lived in Plantation and still knows people there. There's an old guard that is very strong who are not child friendly from when the neighborhood was originally developed. There weren't kids in the beginning. The old guard and their reputation is what's keeping things from turning over more there--they're a drag on their own property values!

2. Our style of golf: me playing with younger men's groups during the week, wouldn't be very possible. Plus the course, while in great conditioning, is not the best. They do not have good reciprocals like other clubs: viz. a friend at PV Inn can sometimes play Pablo Creek (2nd best course in JAX area), Sawgrass CC can get onto Timuquana (3nd best course in Jax), Charter Members at TPC Sawgrass (top course in JAX) can get on anywhere in the country virtually. Plantation just doesn't have that cachet, and many of their facilities are in need of renovation which just means that the 1485 will be 1885 sooner rather than later.

Old 03-07-2019, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aa66bb View Post
Here are my thoughts about Plantation as I looked into joining. The fees are actually $1485 but include lawn care for the smaller lots. The price for us wasn't a concern because we'd golf a lot. But I've opted against the neighborhood. Although it's becoming more family friendly with 200 or so school age children, that's still a low density considering there are 600 houses. It does, however, seem like the safest place for kids to play in the streets.

1. Our neighbor actually lived in Plantation and still knows people there. There's an old guard that is very strong who are not child friendly from when the neighborhood was originally developed. There weren't kids in the beginning. The old guard and their reputation is what's keeping things from turning over more there--they're a drag on their own property values!

2. Our style of golf: me playing with younger men's groups during the week, wouldn't be very possible. Plus the course, while in great conditioning, is not the best. They do not have good reciprocals like other clubs: viz. a friend at PV Inn can sometimes play Pablo Creek (2nd best course in JAX area), Sawgrass CC can get onto Timuquana (3nd best course in Jax), Charter Members at TPC Sawgrass (top course in JAX) can get on anywhere in the country virtually. Plantation just doesn't have that cachet, and many of their facilities are in need of renovation which just means that the 1485 will be 1885 sooner rather than later.
Wow, didn't know the dues are that high now. I know the board/membership shot down a proposal to renovate their beach club. Someone who worked at the Plantation at a very high level (now works for Sawgrass CC) echoes the same sentiment. I know that younger families are trying to get them to think outside the box but haven't had much success from what I understand. I know there are few people on this board that live there so maybe they can chime in.

Old 03-07-2019, 12:59 PM

297 posts, read 573,204 times
We moved to PVB (from Fleming Island) as empty nesters, so I can't help with kids and family activities.

Quote:
I also read about overcrowding at Micklers and lack of parking and assume that will only get worse as Nocatee grows... so walking distance would be good. Do people really get beach club memberships for this reason? If so, which one?

We joined a beach club due to the overcrowding, and yes, it will continue to get worse. When I was in PVB viewing homes during the weekday when my husband was at work, I stopped by Micklers a couple times and talked to a few people who were there walking their dogs. They said Micklers used to be great pre-Nocatee, but the influx of people ruined it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan Putski View Post

I concur; it's a joke.

Quote:

We had no trouble finding a contractor to remodel two bathrooms and the kitchen when we bought four years ago, and the price was reasonable and the project was started a month after we hired him. I liked the contractor a lot - he was great at turning our vision into reality, with attention to detail vis-a-vis layout, clearances, workability, etc. - but we had some quality issues due to the people he had working for him.

We chose a different contractor for our upcoming project, one who came highly recommended by a neighbor, and we've been waiting since December for him to be available to start the project. The neighbor who recommended him had previous experience with this contractor and waited a full year. Our neighbor had done a project with him in the past, and after experiencing work from someone else that wasn't nearly as good, he said it's worth the wait.

Old 03-07-2019, 01:13 PM

6,407 posts, read 4,901,771 times
As far as contractors go, you have to be careful because its not the contractor doing the actual work, its the subs. With the massive building boom plus the damage from Hurricane Michael, good subs are increasingly hard to find. We have a friend who is an architect and he told us "good luck finding good subs". Fortunately we had one of the best Contractors in the area who we waited over a year for. Iit was well worth the wait. We are super fussy and everything was perfect. If you speak Spanish its a big plus. We were onsite for the whole ordeal (never again) but the results were worth it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville