Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2019, 08:11 AM

2 posts, read 3,970 times

Advertisements

Hi. My family and I are moving to the Jacksonville area this summer. It's hard to narrow it down. Looking for info on the schools, true experiences. We are bouncing between Fernandina area, South ponte vedra which ends up being St Augustine schools, Yulee and are open to any other suggestions. We are looking for properties with a dock so nocatee and other inland developments like that are out. please let me know what experiences you have have with the schools and any others you might suggest. I have been trying to get a Duval County schools to call me back for 2 weeks and no one will. I wanted information about their prep schools. My kids will be going into kindergarten and fifth grade but we will be there for the long haul so I want to make sure the high schools are good as well. Smart while behaved kids and we are coming from a small town. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2019, 09:38 AM

486 posts, read 516,648 times
I am sure the first question most will have is budget. Also are you looking for a dock on your actual property, or a community with a boat launch or dock. If you need one on your property most of this area will put you on the intercoastal if you want good schools. In Fernandina Beach/Yulee, this will put you in the Fernandina Beach schools, since the dividing point is Old Nassauville Rd... no docks further back from there. Personally I would take those schools over the mix that go to St Augustine High and Pedro Menendez High in St Augustine. There are docks further inland on the St Johns river also, which might be less expensive. Long way to the Ocean though if that is what you are looking for. You could look in Fleming Island or Riverside inside Rivertown for a new build(Mattamy Homes) if that is an option you are willing to consider. Also there is the Julington Creek Marina along the river near some of the best schools in St Johns county.

Beyond this I am sure someone could give you some firmer ideas once you provide budget. It sounds like you are way above my price point so I do not have direct knowledge.

Old 03-18-2019, 10:07 AM

482 posts, read 419,275 times
What's your budget? Where will you be working? Lots of questions need to be answered first.

Plus if you have the budget to acquire properties like this, you need a realtor, not an anonymous message board.

Old 03-18-2019, 02:32 PM

5,189 posts, read 6,139,618 times
As mentioned the biggest question is what is your budget? In the Fernandina Beach area there is docking availability past Nassauville Road with Oyster Bay being your first and depending what you are willing to pay there are others.

Good luck

Old 03-19-2019, 07:25 AM

2 posts, read 3,970 times
Sorry this whole moving business is overwhelming. I totally spaced that! Budget is 800kish. Thank you thank you thank you for the information! that info on the St Augustine compared to Fernandina schools in particular it's exactly what I was looking for. I'm a realtor myself so I will be working all over and do have an agent in the area already but I love getting info from locals that live there. You guysys just know the area and hold nothing back. My husband most likely be working in downtown Jax. Any thoughts on Yulee schools? I've heard mixed reviews but some of those were from a few years ago.And yes doc on property or ability to build one is preferable. I noticed no one on the southern ponte vedra strip had any and I'm assuming you cannot build them there. The waterway over there is gorgeous but omg expensive. It's such a big spread out city which I love It's hard to know what areas to have our agent look in and I'm trying to do something work for safety and schools and particular to help narrow it down. The last thing we want is to buy a wonderful home and have awful schools. thank you guys so much for taking the time. I appreciate it so very much!

Old 03-19-2019, 10:30 AM

5,189 posts, read 6,139,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatM02 View Post
Sorry this whole moving business is overwhelming. I totally spaced that! Budget is 800kish. Thank you thank you thank you for the information! that info on the St Augustine compared to Fernandina schools in particular it's exactly what I was looking for. I'm a realtor myself so I will be working all over and do have an agent in the area already but I love getting info from locals that live there. You guysys just know the area and hold nothing back. My husband most likely be working in downtown Jax. Any thoughts on Yulee schools? I've heard mixed reviews but some of those were from a few years ago.And yes doc on property or ability to build one is preferable. I noticed no one on the southern ponte vedra strip had any and I'm assuming you cannot build them there. The waterway over there is gorgeous but omg expensive. It's such a big spread out city which I love It's hard to know what areas to have our agent look in and I'm trying to do something work for safety and schools and particular to help narrow it down. The last thing we want is to buy a wonderful home and have awful schools. thank you guys so much for taking the time. I appreciate it so very much!

Nassau County schools are rated pretty high and I would say overall they are in the top percentage of academics for the 60 plus counties in Florida. We were around 14th from the top a few years back. Saint Johns continues be at the top of the list for the state of Florida and the reason for much of the growth in Saint John's County now with many people to choosing to move here for the schools.

The Marina downtown Fernandina Beach is currently being renovated while the one on the intercoastal as you go over the Shave Bridge stays packed. Just mentioning, I know you would like deep water or perhaps tidal but as you have seen the price on those properties are out of sight. Might be cheaper to find a house in need of renovation on deep water and go that route. There are homes on Amelia that have docks and access to deep water.

Good Luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville