Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 11:30 AM

702 posts, read 2,185,335 times

Advertisements

Redneck as in most of my family is from the Carolina's, GA, and TN. They may not pronounce everything the same as I, they may listen to Country-Western, and they may go to a Southern Baptist church on Wed & Sunday; but they are not poor, do not have cars on blocks in their yards and keep an very neat appearance.

They type of people labeled as "Rednecks" on this board, need to be closely re-evaluated. These are not Rednecks, these are people who simply do not keep a neat appearance, possibly work very hard at their blue-collared jobs and possibly have a Southern twang coupled with a sometimes poor education.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2008, 11:36 AM

459 posts, read 1,417,487 times
i think you might be taking all this in a little too seriously there, panda. jacksonville is known all over as the "redneck riviera". i spent 27yrs growing up there and think i am more than qualified to speak about the matter... my first week here i had strangers calling me a redneck when i told them where i moved from. did i get mad? no way, i laughed along with them. of course, i'm not a redneck either.

Old 04-15-2008, 11:59 AM

541 posts, read 2,286,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apanda View Post
Redneck as in most of my family is from the Carolina's, GA, and TN. They may not pronounce everything the same as I, they may listen to Country-Western, and they may go to a Southern Baptist church on Wed & Sunday; but they are not poor, do not have cars on blocks in their yards and keep an very neat appearance.

They type of people labeled as "Rednecks" on this board, need to be closely re-evaluated. These are not Rednecks, these are people who simply do not keep a neat appearance, possibly work very hard at their blue-collared jobs and possibly have a Southern twang coupled with a sometimes poor education.
Well whatever your describing......I just don't think that falls into what most people in this country or the world define as diverse. You will find probably none of these people in Toronto. Toronto has its foreign born diverse population while Jactionville has its southern thwang speaking, no-cards- playing-southern-baptist-preaching, well dressed, raised in the south, sweet tea in the bloodstream people. Thats it. They are a significant part of the population here. Thats all the OP needed to know.

Old 04-15-2008, 12:05 PM

way to bring it around full circle to address the question posed by the OP, i think you did it perfectly.

Old 04-15-2008, 12:27 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,456,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vdecapio View Post
Toronto is much more diverse than Jacksonville. Much more. Toronto is an international city.
Absolutely . Do not move to Jacksonville expecting it to be to the level of Toronto - they are nothing alike.

Old 04-15-2008, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo13 View Post
i think you might be taking all this in a little too seriously there, panda. jacksonville is known all over as the "redneck riviera".
I've heard of the panhandle being called "The Redneck Riviera", but never Jacksonville...that's a new one for me .

Old 04-15-2008, 01:37 PM

really? wow. i've heard it from tampa all the way to where i am in chicago. it's really not to much of a stretch to see it, no? that being said, i look forward to many chuckles during my visit in may! i am sure i will be dragged to the big town center to see all the new stores and resturaunts!

Old 04-15-2008, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo13 View Post
really? wow. i've heard it from tampa all the way to where i am in chicago. it's really not to much of a stretch to see it, no? that being said, i look forward to many chuckles during my visit in may! i am sure i will be dragged to the big town center to see all the new stores and resturaunts!
I thought the term Redneck Riviera had to do with the Spring Break that happens (or used to happen?) in the panhandle...but either way, it's got a ring to it!

We'll see ya' at the SJTC, Jimbo! Yee-haw!

Old 04-16-2008, 07:20 AM

the term goes back a lot further than before they started doing sprong break over in panama and destin, but that's neither here nor there. you bet you bippy i'll be at the town center!

Old 04-16-2008, 09:42 AM

7 posts, read 29,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
Absolutely . Do not move to Jacksonville expecting it to be to the level of Toronto - they are nothing alike.
no im not expecting in to be Toronto. because when it comes to diversity no city in the world compares to Toronto. But if i do decide to move down i dont want to be shocked thats there's only either caucasians or afro americans living in jacks. just want some diversity. i need to go get some groceries in an asian market it would be there, if i need to eat some jerk chicken it would be there. u know what i mean .

so as for cost of living ? is jacksonville affordable ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville