Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2019, 09:19 AM

12 posts, read 23,826 times

Advertisements

I got a offer to transfer from NYC to downtown Jacksonville area. Real estate values have grown so much here it's impossible to afford anything in the area. Even a 1 bedroom condo or co-op is out of reach.

I will be working near downtown Jax. I am planning to buy a condo after renting and getting to know the area. I have done a lot of research and have read so many mixed things about living in Jax itself. The areas I have been looking to buy a condo is Ponte Vedra Beach and Jacksonville Beach. By NYC standards, the condos prices there are a bargain.

Is the commute reasonable from PVB to Downtown Jax? Is the PVB area friendly towards young blue collar workers? The HOA 'fees for condos are reasonable from what I've seen but from what I've seen they vary greatly. Is there a cap on how high these fees can go? If the HOA fee is currently $250-300, what would prevent them from making it $600-700 5-10 years from now? Generally do these fees include water, sewage charges as well?

If you have any suggestions or anything to add in general about living in PVB area, feel free to add them!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2019, 09:48 AM

655 posts, read 853,633 times
The commute from PVB to downtown Jax is probably about 45 min during traffic. Depending on where in Jax Bch it could be about the same or 10-15 less than from PVB. Probably not bad for you considering you are in NYC. To us locals, this commute would be considered a headache (JTB rush hour traffic). PVB is a friendly area as is Jax Bch. Jax Bch is a bit busier with more night life, more partying, noise, traffic etc...but is closer to most life conveniences. PVB is more upscale, lower crime and requires a little more of a drive to get to things like big box stores, movies, entertainment etc...

I can't really speak to fees. PVB has a lot more people from the northeast and Jax Bch has more locals.

Old 04-22-2019, 09:49 AM

7,775 posts, read 10,087,057 times
Commute: Not something I would want to do. If you are dead set on the beaches then Jax Beach is probably more your speed, although the commute from either is not pleasant (for Jacksonville. Perhaps if you are used to commuting into Manhattan from outer boroughs by car then it's not so bad)

HOA/condo fees: There is no cap. Often they include water and sewage but you must inquire to confirm.

Ultimately it depends on what you are seeking for your lifestyle. Coming from NYC there will be nothing remotely resembling what you are used to, but perhaps that is perfectly fine to you. Beaches lifestyle is a unique one not replicated in many parts of the country, so it may be worth the difficult commute. Be aware insurance is on the higher side out at the beaches, but then again usually insurance for condos is a bit lower than for houses so it may even out somewhat.

Old 04-22-2019, 12:37 PM

12 posts, read 23,826 times
I am just looking for a good area with low crime. Ponte Vedra and Jax Beach seem to be what I am looking for. I am not looking for an area full of night life or clubs, I will be too busy working. My hours wont be 9-5 so perhaps traffic wont be that bad.

Are there any other areas I should consider looking at? I have only looked at Jax itself and the beaches.

If considering Jax itself I was recommend to look at San Marco, Riverside, Mandarin. Other people advised me to stay away from these areas as even these areas are broken into good and bad parts. In NYC we have clear idea of where the good and bad parts are. In Jax it seems the lines between good and bad parts are blurred with crime often spilling over to good areas.

Old 04-22-2019, 07:15 PM

If you're into an artsy, walkable, cutlural, urban vibe then Riverside would fit the bill. Commute would also be sweet. In Riverside you can walk/bike to drug store, dinner, barhop, doctor visit, dentist, micro-brew....

If you want beach life without being in the middle of night life then check out Neptune Beach which is sandwiched in between Jax beach and Atlantic beach.

Old 04-22-2019, 08:22 PM

7,775 posts, read 10,087,057 times
If you are only seeking a place that is safe, then there is really no reason to go all the way to the beaches. Plenty of crime there in fact (we had a thread recently about how "crime-ridden" the beaches are). By NYC standards I don't think any of these neighborhoods present much of an issue.

Yeah, go with Mandarin or San Jose area. Or better yet, Southside around Deerwood Lakes or the SJTC. There's TONS of condos to choose from. Typically considered very safe, plus if you're in a condo building in these areas you're kinda gated off from the public anyway. You will get caught in some rush hour traffic, but you should be close enough to work that it's not a huge deal. Maybe 20ish minute commute even with regular traffic.

Old 06-16-2019, 05:40 PM

562 posts, read 1,246,210 times
I'm not looking for condos - just single family homes under $300k.

Old 06-16-2019, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricon7 View Post
I'm not looking for condos - just single family homes under $300k.
stick to the thread you started. This is old news

Old 06-08-2020, 09:57 AM

15 posts, read 14,236 times
Yes I am now looking in the Jacksonville area. Moving south from Delray Beach have family in the Augusta GA trying to cut the travel time in half. Looking for moderate priced condo in a safe area.

Old 06-15-2020, 02:44 PM

55 posts, read 67,424 times
I work in Ponte Vedra and aside from Golf and the beach it's mind-numbingly boring. I know you said you weren't concerned with nightlife stuff, but it's good to have a life outside of work (I've learned that from experience).

My suggestion would be to look further into the core of the city. Avondale, Riverside or San Marco might be more of what you're used to. Murray Hill is very cheap but borders on some less than desirable parts of town.

If you're looking for more of a suburban vibe Julington Creek / Mandarin are pretty nice. There is a LOT of new developments in the northern parts of St. Johns county if that's something you're into, but they're very cookie-cutter and bland. If you have kids, St. Johns County has the best school district in the state. Durbin Park has a lot going for it as well.

Florida is not for everyone. I'd definitely advise that you weigh all of the pros and cons before moving here (including the weather in the summer). My advice would be to consider whether or not this is somewhere you'd like to live or somewhere you'd like to vacation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville