Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2006, 04:42 PM

25 posts, read 45,859 times

Advertisements

I have lived in Jacksonville since 1979! I have always lived on the Southside of town. Go approx. 15 minutes or less in any direction will get you to grocery stores, Walmart and Target Superstores, shopping malls, downtown, fine or fast food resturants or the beach. If you're thinking of living here I would understand it IS a city. Traffic is conjested mostly during rush hour but never is there a time day when you won't see cars on the roads. Depending on the time of day, 15 minutes of travel may take you 5 miles or 10miles. Jacksonville is very widespread for a city and I have been to all areas through the years but have no desire to live on the Westside, Northside, Arlington, Mandarin or downtown as each of these have a variety of different problems. (My personal opinion). I have never been robbed or carjacked but because it's a city I try and stay observant. I do not live in a gated community! My neighborhood has no HOA fees, has lots of trees, squirrels, water wells, and septic tanks. (I love that...no water bills!!) and very low property taxes and home owners insurance compared to other areas. I'd go as far as to say that 75% of people that move in my neighborhood stay 10yrs. or more. Home prices range (in my neighborhood again) from approx. $95000 - $350000. You can see it's quite a diversity. I've raised 3 children and two have moved out but still live in jacksonville. The public school system curriculum is good but most schools are over crowded. Employment is available. Pay is lower than I think it should be but so is the cost of living. Not much money spent on cold weather gear and no state income taxes. Drivers License and car registration seems relatively inexpensive to me too. A lot of fine health care facilites and hospitals here too. The weather here feels hot in summer due to the humidity, but winter's are mild and lightening storms are frequent in summer.
There is sooooo much to do here boredom is not an option. Theatres, nightlife, dining, professional league sports, museums, beaches, etc, etc. .
Have read a lot of bad things about Florida in general on this site so thought I'd just put in my2sense worth...lol...about how it's been for my family here in Jacksonville.

Last edited by my2sense; 12-19-2006 at 04:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2006, 05:33 PM
jmc

101 posts, read 860,429 times
Default Thanks!

My2sense, thank you SO much for your positive review of Jacksonville! My husband and I are moving there very soon, no turning back now, yet I still can get discouraged, at times, when I read negative things about Jacksonville. It can be hard enough to move and leave the security of your current life and friends behind, but to read all the negative things about the area can make it even worse. I know people mean well and just want to share their experience or warn people for whatever reason, but in some cases, such as ours, moving there from Southern California actually makes sense financially and in regard to our current and future family. Encouraging people like you and Karla (myfask) are making this a better transition for me. I'm well aware of the crime, humidity, education system, etc. Therefore, it's always refreshing reading that some people actually like living there and, also, that it isn't the most boring place on the planet. Thank you and Merry Christmas!

Old 12-19-2006, 05:53 PM

17,833 posts, read 33,011,427 times
thanks jen
I have really enjoyed talking about jax with you.
do you have a move date as of yet?
we are still waiting, they are starting the drywall on the new house this week how can it take less time to build a house than it does to get details on a relo lol
karla

Old 12-19-2006, 06:39 PM

Default Dear jmc

Glad to have given you a hopeful outlook regarding your move to Jacksonville. Not many who live here live as quiet and happy as I do but if your loved ones are near...home is a happy place
Good Luck and Merry Christmas to you and yours!

Old 12-20-2006, 11:47 AM
jmc

Thanks again, My2sense and Karla! Karla, we're leaving SD next week...a few days after Christmas, most likely. It'll be an adventure taking a cat across country in a u-haul. Any info on the crime in Julington Creek you might be able to enlighten me with? I stumbled across an article regarding a violent carjacking in Julington Creek where a man was beaten (I think IN his home!!) and had been followed home from Tinseltown. Needless to say, I'm getting fearful again about moving to Jax, even though we're planning on Julington Creek. I thought we'd be safe there.

Old 12-22-2006, 08:55 PM

Default Julington Creek

To JMC
I haven't been to the Julington Creek area in quite some time, but I know it used to be a very nice, even posh place to live. USED TO is the key word. When I was last in that area (approx. 2yrs. ago) it changed and not necessarily for the better. My husband did some work in that area and says their are still some really nice gated communities to live in. Wish I knew more to help you out. Good Luck!

Old 12-23-2006, 10:34 AM
jmc

Thanks again for the info! My2sense, I sent you a PM w/ a question regarding Julington Creek. I hope you all have a wonderful Christmas!

Old 12-23-2006, 05:34 PM

7 posts, read 35,681 times
Thumbs up Welcome to Jacksonville

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc View Post
My2sense, thank you SO much for your positive review of Jacksonville! My husband and I are moving there very soon, no turning back now, yet I still can get discouraged, at times, when I read negative things about Jacksonville. It can be hard enough to move and leave the security of your current life and friends behind, but to read all the negative things about the area can make it even worse. I know people mean well and just want to share their experience or warn people for whatever reason, but in some cases, such as ours, moving there from Southern California actually makes sense financially and in regard to our current and future family. Encouraging people like you and Karla (myfask) are making this a better transition for me. I'm well aware of the crime, humidity, education system, etc. Therefore, it's always refreshing reading that some people actually like living there and, also, that it isn't the most boring place on the planet. Thank you and Merry Christmas!
Please see my comments to Icecold (Amsterdam)

I hope they offer encouragement; I too am from Southern California!

Old 12-23-2006, 05:45 PM

7 posts, read 35,681 times
Smile Welcome to Jacksonville

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc View Post
jmc: Please see my comments to Icecold (Amsterdam).

I hope they offer you some encouragement; I too am from Southern California! Julington Creek is suburbia and has many very nice neighborhoods. I don't think it has gone down in quality from what I can see so I am sure you will not be disappointed.

Old 12-24-2006, 10:22 AM
jmc

Hi Mandarin Lady,
Merry Christmas! Thanks so much for the positive info regarding Jacksonville. It's nice to know that a fellow Californian made the move across country and not only survived but is happy with Jax. I hope to be the same way. Thanks for the info on Julington Creek, too. Coming from CA, you'll appreciate this...we are going from a smalll, 800 square foot condo (where you can hear your neighbor's toaster oven going off...or someone's toilet flushing in ANOTHER building) in CA and moving to an almost 2,000 square foot HOUSE in Julington Creek. It's SO expensive out here in So Cal! Granted, we live in Coronado, but still! Anyway, we're excited to actually be able to buy a house...something that would have been challenging to do out here. Have a wonderful Christmas!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
View detailed profiles of: