Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 06:23 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,984,152 times

Advertisements

I agree with Deealina .. I've lived in the northeast, midwest, and mid-Atlantic, and I "battled" more bugs in those places than I have here. I live in an established neighborhood in Clay County, not on a pond, don't spray for bugs (other than annually for termites and occasionally for lawn-eaters) -- I've had only two little spiders in my house (that's it) and have seen a couple of palmettos outside. I've been bitten once by a mosquito and I spend a ton of time in my backyard.

I have concerns about bugs and pesticides because of my pets. My dog loves to romp and roll in the backyard, so certainly I don't want him rolling in poisons. We did have an issue with fleas, but that was taken care of with flea meds (Frontline) and an herbal flea powder.

When I moved here last summer I was expecting 'Florida = Bugs' because that's the stigma. But honestly, if I want to see bugs (which I don't!) I really have to go looking for them, at least here in suburbia (rural areas are, of course, a different story). Nature itself takes care of most of pests - the birds and the anoles do their dining so that we humans hardly ever see bugs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2008, 06:48 AM

154 posts, read 645,685 times
Where do you live now that has no bugs?

Old 04-16-2008, 04:41 PM

236 posts, read 1,085,557 times
A nice bat house under the eaves of the house will take care of the flying bugs. If bats creep you out, (I like to watch them, but I'm wierd!) you can get/build a martin house in the corner of your yard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville