Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2008, 10:16 PM

14 posts, read 39,791 times

Advertisements

Moderator cut: edit

hI, i AM CONSIDERING MOVING TO jAX AS WELL. hOWEVER i MOVED FROM WEST PALM TO aLBUQUERQUE. BIG MISTAKE AND WANT TO MOVE BACK TO FLORIDA. WHAT IS JAX LIKE COMPARED TO WEST PALM OR GAINSVILLE?

Last edited by riveree; 04-18-2008 at 08:35 PM.. Reason: removed quote...making this a new thread
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2008, 09:30 AM

541 posts, read 2,285,407 times
Jacksonville Florida. Home of pristine beaches and beautiful sunny days year round. A small town with some big city ammenities such as ethnic foods, the Florida Theater, Jacksonville Jaguars football, and the Jacksonville Symphony Orchestra. Oh and I almost forgot the Cummer Museum of Art.

But if the city life doesn't suit you, nature is not too far away. Guana River State Park, Hanna Park, Big and Little Talbot Islands, and Hugenot Park provide miles of hiking trails, beach front, and coastal wildlife. And if fishing or boating are your cup tea, let me again say welcome to Jacksonville.

The mainstream media is highly conservative and finding the christian church of your choice is no problem. Also, did I mention the family life yet? Because this is an ideal place to raise your family. Cost of housing is cheap and your kids are going to love going to the beach. Maybe they will take up surfing or become an olympic swimmer. You can do that year round here.

But enough praise for Jacksonville. Lets talk about West Palm and Albuquerque. I actually lived in Albuquerque and let me say that Jacksonville is probably similar in size to Albuquerque. Obviously the climates are slightly different, but sun can be found in both. In NM, it is unlikely to have grass, so just having a gravel yard with a few cacti is much lower maintenance than the St. Augustine grass that is found around year. Get ready to buy a sprinkler and to mow that grass almost year round. Albuquerque had wonderful food...very spicy....love the green chilies even on the McDonald's cheeseburgers. I think Albuquerque has Jacksonville beat on local food. No offense Jacksonville, but Albuquerque has great food. But just like Albuquerque, Jacksonville is very sprawled out with very little downtown development. And St. Augustine is kind of like a mini-Santa Fe. Albuquerque is also very fortunate to have a major university there, adds a little bit of fresh ideas to the city. Jacksonville does have UNF, but it doen't make a huge impact on the Jacksonville culture in general.

And well West Palm is west palm. You're in south florida with its pros and cons. If you are hispanic or wealthy or desire world class culture, south florida is a nice match. Jacksonville is for the middle class family who is tired of the hustle and bustle of urban life.

And Gainsville is straight up college town. Lots of young people, lots of college football, lots of new, fresh ideas. If you're not going there for school, I would steer clear though. If your not in school and still going to frat parties people look at you kind of funny.

Old 04-19-2008, 11:42 AM

1,641 posts, read 5,023,247 times
Wow vdecapio. What a post!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville