Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2008, 09:18 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,275,326 times

Advertisements

I want to live in old downtown Jacksonville. I am handicap so elevator/no stairs are a must. There are 2 of us me 53 + my son 34...school areas not important. We have Section 8 as we are both on disability. I use a mobility scooter to get around where that dont go public transport. If this is a dream please let me know so I can check into other FL areas....want to move March/April 2009 I figure I need to get on landlords wait lists now. Thanks all
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2008, 09:47 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,446,971 times
Katie, you may not have everything you need Downtown.

Like a lot of southern cities, Jacksonville really let its' Downtown fade away for decades and is just now starting to revive it...it's going to be many more years before it is really vibrant again. Some clubs have opened up, and some nice restaurants, and the art scene is growing, but the day-to-day basics aren't there yet. There's only 1 grocery store and you'd be dependent on it for more than groceries - I'm not aware of any downtown CVS or Walgreens, I don't think there's a Blockbuster or many of the other stores you might want.

You might do better in an area like San Jose. You'd be south of Downtown in a more suburban setting, but you can find apartments on or just off the main drag (San Jose Blvd) and you'll have all the shops you'd need right there. You'd have to find just the right apartment to be close to what you want, of course, but there is also bus service that runs on San Jose Blvd and we also have something called the JTA Connexion that might work for you:

Jacksonville Transportation Authority - Transportation Services - JTA Connexion (broken link)

Old 04-19-2008, 05:44 AM

549 posts, read 2,204,886 times
Agreed, downtown isn't the best place, not if you're looking to have the services needed, such as shopping...I'd look into other areas

Old 04-19-2008, 12:14 PM

1,641 posts, read 5,023,466 times
You'll be hard pressed to find elevators, but you could look for a ground level unit where you wouldn't need elevators.

Old 04-19-2008, 03:16 PM

OK I was afraid of this!! I am open for suggestion at this point!!!!

Old 04-19-2008, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
OK I was afraid of this!! I am open for suggestion at this point!!!!
Is there a way you can find out ahead of time where the Section 8 would be accepted? Is there a listing you can receive? Maybe then you can tell us the areas you're interested in and we can describe them to you?

Also, what was it that attracted you to the idea about downtown? What are you looking to be near? Maybe if you describe what you want, we can list some areas that might fit for you.

Old 04-19-2008, 09:11 PM

The HUD wed site lists 64 housing units in the greater JAX area...Maybe this will help for you to help me!!

Subsidized Apartment Search - HUD

Old 04-19-2008, 09:23 PM

As you can see they are all over & I am lost! The good part about renting is after a year I can move...but I dont want to land some where in the middle of a war zone [did my time in the Army ...thank you!] Well any ideas will be greatly appreciated. I have sent lots of the apts emails in the past 30 days but have not recieved any answers...

Old 04-19-2008, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
The HUD wed site lists 64 housing units in the greater JAX area...Maybe this will help for you to help me!!

Subsidized Apartment Search - HUD
I took a look at the list. I'm sure you're not suprised, a good percentage of them are in awful locations, but some of them are in decent areas. I don't know the insides of any of these apartments or whether they have elevators, etc., but these are the ones I think you can give a closer look to:

Beachwood in 32246: You can probably find something a little better, but I would keep this on your list

Fannie Taylor in 32217: Again, low on the list, but I'd keep it in play

Fieldcrest in 32256

Mandarin Trace in 32257: This might be one of the better ones...this is sort of the area I mentioned above that might be a good location for you (I listed it as San Jose in my post above).

PSI Mandarin in 32257

Pablo Towers in 32250 (you could live at the beach! )

Old 04-19-2008, 09:41 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,203,960 times
Katie-

I am not familiar with the downtown area, but this is someplace that I have always thought looked cool- Mt.Carmel. Right on a bus line and I just recently read an article about it- Jacksonville.com The link you provided says it is for seniors, but it is a mix.

Not too too far from downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville