Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2019, 05:56 AM

9,382 posts, read 8,345,252 times

Advertisements

It's really hard to gauge what it's like to work for Coughlin through public interviews, but my gut tells me his style is very hands on and very "old school". Like I said before, I just don't think that style resonates with players in today's game. We only need to look at last year and the historic injuries we had on our team to see how that tough guy style of training no longer works.

I think Coughlin is a good guy with good intentions who did well in his time with the Jags previously and again with the Giants. At 73, I think it is time for him to retire. Khan and anyone in his ear has to know that after this NFLPA news, getting rid of him and any/all GMs/coaches would send the proper message to the rest of the NFL that the Jaguars aren't some Marines boot camp type of environment and that it should be a destination most players would want to come to with the warm weather and tax-friendly state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2019, 05:06 PM

1,558 posts, read 2,148,490 times
And there it is. Jaguars just fired Coughlin.

Old 12-18-2019, 06:06 PM

6,391 posts, read 4,896,864 times
Maybe Jalen will come back and they can use all those jerseys

Old 12-18-2019, 06:21 PM

5,129 posts, read 6,123,485 times
Hopefully Marrone is next unless Shad decides to let Marrone try another year without Coughlin.

Old 12-18-2019, 06:53 PM

2,114 posts, read 2,343,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
It's really hard to gauge what it's like to work for Coughlin through public interviews, but my gut tells me his style is very hands on and very "old school". Like I said before, I just don't think that style resonates with players in today's game. We only need to look at last year and the historic injuries we had on our team to see how that tough guy style of training no longer works.
Coughlin was fired as head coach for this very reason. The players got weary of his rigid style, and when the team started losing, there was no stopping the backward momentum. He was a good choice for a new expansion team 25 years ago, but this is not the kind of man that players flock to play for.

Old 12-19-2019, 05:53 AM

Khan made the correct call here. And bravo to him for making it so quickly after this NFLPA news came to light. Marrone and Caldwell should be next on the chopping block, let's just freaking re-set AGAIN and start over with a completely new regime to see what they can do with this roster. We will have some high draft picks in the 2020 draft but the team is hamstrung a bit by the Foles contract. Even if they cut him I believe they are still on the line for millions in guaranteed money to him. I think our focus should be positions in this order:

1. O-Line
2. TE
3. LB
4. CB
5. QB - take a flier on a kid in the 5th round

I think we are mostly set at defensive line, running back and WR.....or, at the very least, we shouldn't be throwing away more draft picks at those same positions as we have for the past several years.

Old 12-19-2019, 06:59 AM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,259 posts, read 4,326,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan Putski View Post
You'll be fine in Colts gear. We pretty much go to every home game and I've yet to see anyone mess with folks wearing opponent's jerseys. This ain't Philly that's for sure.
Quote:
You'll be absolutely fine. In fact, during games against popular teams like the Steelers, the stadium appears to be almost half full of the other team's fans. What a shame.
Thanks guys!

Old 12-19-2019, 12:04 PM

Hearing rumblings that maybe Caldwell and Marrone might deserve another year.

Although Coughlin was GM and responsible for a lot I admit, but there was a real discipline problem festering before he arrived.

I am not privy to all that went on within the walls of this organization and did not stay at a Holiday Inn last night but I find it hard to believe that all that has transpired can be laid on Coughlins shoulders.

If so was Marrone just a puppet?

I mean if you remember we hit a pretty deep low with this team with Gus. It's hard to fathom that we are that low again.

Old 12-19-2019, 01:01 PM

So let's say it was 100% Coughlin that made all of the players so upset. We still aren't seeing the production on the field and really, this isn't even close to a winning football team.

I follow a college football team that has the longest tenured coach in the country. In fact, my team (Iowa) has had two head coaches since I was a toddler and I'm quite happy with that. So I'm not one of those people who knee-jerks to fire the entire staff at the first sign of trouble, not by a long shot. We've had some lean years with both coaches but the University stayed the course and generally they put out and above average product.

However, this Jaguars team is truly bad. And bad at everything. Passing, running, blocking, receiving, getting open, special teams, pass rush (sometimes we are okay), pass defense, tackling, turnovers, and most of all playcalling. Outside of 1 out of every 3 or 4 games when the D line decides to show their faces, this team is a complete mess and I do believe that falls onto Marrone.

I can't hear the argument about injuries any more because every team deals with injuries. We haven't lost that much depth outside of LB and TE this year so I don't buy that excuse. I feel like this team was built to play conservative, run-first with timely pass plays, as we did in 2017 that worked so well with Bortles. But that style of play only works when A. You're in the lead and not playing from behind and B. When you have a solid enough defense to force turnovers and keep the other team below 20 points. Neither of which is happening.

Time to reboot. I'll keep saying that. Khan has to know that ticket sales and the general excitement over this team is waning quickly and to allow Marrone and his staff to continue is not going to sell seats.

Old 12-19-2019, 04:13 PM

Quote:
So let's say it was 100% Coughlin that made all of the players so upset. We still aren't seeing the production on the field and really, this isn't even close to a winning football team.

I follow a college football team that has the longest tenured coach in the country. In fact, my team (Iowa) has had two head coaches since I was a toddler and I'm quite happy with that. So I'm not one of those people who knee-jerks to fire the entire staff at the first sign of trouble, not by a long shot. We've had some lean years with both coaches but the University stayed the course and generally they put out and above average product.

However, this Jaguars team is truly bad. And bad at everything. Passing, running, blocking, receiving, getting open, special teams, pass rush (sometimes we are okay), pass defense, tackling, turnovers, and most of all playcalling. Outside of 1 out of every 3 or 4 games when the D line decides to show their faces, this team is a complete mess and I do believe that falls onto Marrone.

I can't hear the argument about injuries any more because every team deals with injuries. We haven't lost that much depth outside of LB and TE this year so I don't buy that excuse. I feel like this team was built to play conservative, run-first with timely pass plays, as we did in 2017 that worked so well with Bortles. But that style of play only works when A. You're in the lead and not playing from behind and B. When you have a solid enough defense to force turnovers and keep the other team below 20 points. Neither of which is happening.

Time to reboot. I'll keep saying that. Khan has to know that ticket sales and the general excitement over this team is waning quickly and to allow Marrone and his staff to continue is not going to sell seats.
I agree with this 100%. As fans we just have to keep the faith and hope Khan finds the formula for righting this ship. There are so many areas that need work on this team.

As far as Khans disappointment I do notice he keeps mentioning his dissatisfaction in the revenue coming in from the Jags.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville