Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 07:26 AM

16 posts, read 71,633 times

Advertisements

I have guests coming in from Louisiana and they are seafood-lovers. I was thinking of taking them to either Whitey's in Orange Park or Clark's in St. Johns County. But I have never been to either place so I need you opinions! Which is better? The taste of the food is more important than ambiance, etc. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2008, 07:37 AM

60 posts, read 313,979 times
As far as "Ambiance" goes, they are similar. Personally, I like Whitey's. Although, I may be biased becayse it is a bit closer and I've been there more than Clark's.

If your guests are going to be in town for a few days, another place to try is the Blue Crab in Mandarin. Good food and great prices. Make a left just before the Julington Creek bridge...then just a little bit down on the left.

Old 05-01-2008, 08:13 AM

70 posts, read 362,035 times
Never been to Whitey's but thought the food at Clark's was a bit overrated, although the setting is really cool. As other poster pointed out, Blue Crab Crabshack in Mandarin is good if you are looking for seafood. It's a bit further south on SR13, but the Outback Crabshack is also a fun place to take guests and it is a nice time of year to go.

Old 05-01-2008, 09:03 AM

353 posts, read 1,148,494 times
OK, seeing as I work with a bunch of coon-asses (If your a real cajun girl you know what that means) and have spent a fair amount of time in the Houma, Morgan City, New Iberia area I kinda know what your looking for.

Clarks or Whitey's. I like both. Very similar with Clark's having a SLIGHT edge. My advice is go to the one that is closer to you. Save yourself the extra drive if you can. As someone mentioned, Outback Crabshack ( which is our usual Sat lunch spot due to massive amounts of docking for our boat) on Six mile creek is another option. While service there isn't renowned, you can get your seafood grub on there..... buy the boiled platter and tear it up..... serves 4-5 and it will be messy.... Oysters, crab legs, crawfish, sausage, corn on the cob...etc.... yummy.

Old 05-14-2008, 03:17 PM

353 posts, read 1,148,494 times
I know this thread is a couple weeks old, but I wanted to comment on jrmutleys and jackaroo's recommendation for the Blue Crab in Mandarin. We went there last Fri night for the first time and the food was great. I thought the priecs were VERY good. The crab cakes were OK. The steamed mussels and the fried fish were OUTSTANDING. We'll be goin back for sure.

We went to Outback Crabshack on sun night and the service has improved dramaticaly IMO...just thought I would pass that on too.

Old 05-14-2008, 03:37 PM

1,641 posts, read 5,023,247 times
There's just no place like Clark's!

Old 05-14-2008, 07:31 PM

725 posts, read 2,570,201 times
I've never had a bad meal at Clark's (our out-of-town guests always request one night dining there). But I've heard the service declines as it gets later in the evening (for obvious reasons). I think dining experiences are directly related to what time people arrive. We always eat early. All this talk of seafood is making want to go out to dinner....

Old 05-15-2008, 09:53 PM

2,679 posts, read 11,730,574 times
What about Corky Bell's?

Old 05-16-2008, 06:13 AM

754 posts, read 2,814,164 times
Clark's has a slight edge for the atmosphere, but there's nothing wrong with Whitey's, either. You can't go wrong either way.

Old 05-16-2008, 07:11 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,203,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agreatlife View Post
There's just no place like Clark's!
I have been to Clark's several times and gotta say, I just don't get the attraction for locals. Maybe we should get a CD group together and you tell me what to order. I know so many folks who rave about it.

Jon- the waterside dining is nice, but the dusty, old stuffed animals...yech!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville