Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2020, 04:42 AM

19 posts, read 29,346 times

Advertisements

I posted before about Yulee vs. St. John's as my co workers keep talking highly of Yulee/Nassau county.

We are from Southside/Arlington looking at St. John's, Mandarin, etc. We drove over yesterday near the Timber Creek plantation area in Yulee. There is a house that looks amazing but I'm not sure of the area?

I know they are building it up but I'm used to having retail, restaurants close, etc. Tbe traffic again I know they are going through construction but I'm not seeing the pull towards the area.

The other location was hideaway in the opposite direction. Felt worse about that.

Again it was Thanksgiving and the people I know living there love it but what am I not seeing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2020, 05:20 AM

5,130 posts, read 6,123,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leesa0926 View Post
I posted before about Yulee vs. St. John's as my co workers keep talking highly of Yulee/Nassau county.

We are from Southside/Arlington looking at St. John's, Mandarin, etc. We drove over yesterday near the Timber Creek plantation area in Yulee. There is a house that looks amazing but I'm not sure of the area?

I know they are building it up but I'm used to having retail, restaurants close, etc. Tbe traffic again I know they are going through construction but I'm not seeing the pull towards the area.

The other location was hideaway in the opposite direction. Felt worse about that.

Again it was Thanksgiving and the people I know living there love it but what am I not seeing?
If you had went a bit further east on 200 you would have come across Amelia Concourse and Chester Road both roads will take you to a larger variety of developments, a bit farther east on 200 will take you to Blackrock, Barnwell and Nassauville Road all of which of these will take you to many more different types of subdivisions.

Amelia Concourse and Chester are pretty much the retail center of Nassau, heading west from the island up to Amelia Concourse is a Fernandina zip code.

Supposedly a proposed Publix will be going in across from Wildlight which you passed on the way to the Hideaway.

A lot more retail and restaurants are on island. If you need more of a selection for stores and restaurants we go to River City as also much of Nassau County does.

Old 11-27-2020, 08:13 AM

486 posts, read 515,940 times
As long as you don't want chain restaurants, Nassau has tons on the island. Restaurant quality is definitely a plus here.

Over the next few years I would expect Wildlight to add a lot, including more chain restaurants. Wildlight has a 100 year master plan to build 50,000 homes with a huge retail center. There are also talks for 2-3 hospitals to be built there as well since several medical companies that are big in hospitals have bought large plots right in that area. The beginnings of a medical center are starting to be seen with the UF Health building and the YMCA with was a collaboration between UF Health and the Y. You can see the signs for where Baptist bought land too if you look.

I feel like the big difference is its more laid back, doesn't have the "keeping up with the Jones'" atmosphere that much of St Johns does, has a great town center in Fernandina Beach which is great for a family day out, and has great access to beaches that are not overrun with people.

Old 11-27-2020, 09:35 AM

6,391 posts, read 4,896,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottamemnon View Post
As long as you don't want chain restaurants, Nassau has tons on the island. Restaurant quality is definitely a plus here.

Over the next few years I would expect Wildlight to add a lot, including more chain restaurants. Wildlight has a 100 year master plan to build 50,000 homes with a huge retail center. There are also talks for 2-3 hospitals to be built there as well since several medical companies that are big in hospitals have bought large plots right in that area. The beginnings of a medical center are starting to be seen with the UF Health building and the YMCA with was a collaboration between UF Health and the Y. You can see the signs for where Baptist bought land too if you look.

I feel like the big difference is its more laid back, doesn't have the "keeping up with the Jones'" atmosphere that much of St Johns does, has a great town center in Fernandina Beach which is great for a family day out, and has great access to beaches that are not overrun with people.
Wildlight will have the same effect as Nocatee does here, with increased traffic and crowded beaches.

Old 11-27-2020, 10:52 AM

5,130 posts, read 6,123,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
Wildlight will have the same effect as Nocatee does here, with increased traffic and crowded beaches.
As someone who has been here since 89 I am trying to remain optimistic about the small town feel, but Nassau County is approaching out of control growth and how it handles it in the next few years is going to be telling of its future.

Amelia island itself is becoming cost prohibitive as its median price of homes keeps increasing. Many of those moving here on island are trying desperately to take away the ability to drive on the beaches at both the city and county access points. Take that away and beach access will disappear for the thousands living off island. There are currently less than 2000 parking spots within the city and county on island and many are shared with the numerous beachside businesses.

The mills, the logging trucks and the port are all in the crosshairs of many of those newly arriving retirees who are trying to turn Amelia island into another Hilton Head.

We still love living here but it is hard dealing with all the explosive growth!

Old 11-27-2020, 12:16 PM

25,436 posts, read 9,793,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post
As someone who has been here since 89 I am trying to remain optimistic about the small town feel, but Nassau County is approaching out of control growth and how it handles it in the next few years is going to be telling of its future.

Amelia island itself is becoming cost prohibitive as its median price of homes keeps increasing. Many of those moving here on island are trying desperately to take away the ability to drive on the beaches at both the city and county access points. Take that away and beach access will disappear for the thousands living off island. There are currently less than 2000 parking spots within the city and county on island and many are shared with the numerous beachside businesses.

The mills, the logging trucks and the port are all in the crosshairs of many of those newly arriving retirees who are trying to turn Amelia island into another Hilton Head.

We still love living here but it is hard dealing with all the explosive growth!
People have pretty much loved Nassau County to death. I'm not against growth, but it could have been done so much better so as to maintain the quaintness and nature of the place. Look at Amelia Island Plantation. Thank God Frazier realized that people and nature could actually coexist together.

Old 11-27-2020, 07:32 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,937,475 times
Nassau County is the 9th most expensive county in Florida for home values, with a typical home value of $314K. Significantly higher than the national and state average. This is likely due to most of the housing being concentrated by the coast, on Amelia Island and Fernandina Beach areas.

Old 11-29-2020, 07:26 PM

542 posts, read 701,611 times
Would like to actually here what people love about Yulee. Been trying to figure that out for years. Why people want to live there. When I first moved to Amelia island, Yulee was sort of ok. A country area where you might buy a few acres and raise some chickens. Then the giant house building corporations got involved. Now thousands of gray box homes behind large plastic fencing. Chain stores, almost no restaurants. .....Still the building continues, once a 2 lane road with a single stoplight to the island now is 6 lanes. Stop lights every mile. More coming daily. There is no "town" of yulee. No main street. How about a nice condo behind wal-mart or home depot? No thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville