Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2008, 08:33 PM

70 posts, read 307,659 times

Advertisements

I just read an article about Port of Jax buying property in Mayport for a new Cruise terminal. http://www.jacksonville.com/tu-online/stories/042908/met_273217766.shtml
This sounds like a good idea to me. I also read a site from a group opposing the destruction of this quaint little fishing village. http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/petition-against-mayport-village-cruise-terminal.html Did I miss something last time I took the ferry.
I would like to hear what you all think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2008, 10:58 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,337,293 times
I think the petition brings up some good points.

While I can appreciate that a cruise terminal might benefit Jacksonville economically, it most certainly will affect us environmentally.

Too often, the environmental damage is underplayed and the project is pushed forward too quickly. I think the point about the pollution and the disruption of native wildlife (the sea turtles nest there? ) are valid, important points that need some deep investigating.

I could be wrong, but was the Carnival cruise line experiment successful? I didn't think it was .

Old 05-12-2008, 05:29 AM

70 posts, read 307,659 times
Carnival just replaced there ship with a newer larger ship because they constantly were over booked. Wouldn't a terminal closer to the ocean cause less damage. Wouldn't newer ships be less polluting. Just some thoughts

Old 05-12-2008, 06:35 AM

2,392 posts, read 5,705,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liedj View Post
Carnival just replaced there ship with a newer larger ship because they constantly were over booked. Wouldn't a terminal closer to the ocean cause less damage. Wouldn't newer ships be less polluting. Just some thoughts
You're right. Carnival was/is constantly over booked. Other cruise lines have stated that they wouldn't come into the market until a larger terminal with better access to the ocean was created. That's the reasoning behind the Mayport terminal.

Old 05-12-2008, 08:01 AM

236 posts, read 1,081,961 times
I think that they should find a way to preserve and encourage the shrimping industry to stay where it is and grow while still moving the cruise terminal over in that direction.

I have to say it is a crying shame that the US has more coastline than any other country in the Northern hemisphere and we buy our shrimp from Thailand. There is something seriously wrong with that.

If I had to pick a spot to move the cruise terminal to, I'd put it on the South end of the turning basin East of Dame's Point Bridge. (Extend St John's Bluff North of Fort Caroline. Start building on the corner.)
The terminal needs to be East of Dames Point Bridge to allow taller ships to use it.
It needs to have good road access from other modes of transportation. Some passengers will fly in from out of town. They won't be happy if they have to ride a potato chip shuttle all the way to Mayport. There is room at my proposed site for several hotels, which should be a part of the complex as well.
Laws need to be passed that make it mandatory for the cruise ships to hook up to the city sewer and run off shore power while they are in port. (They would have to pay full rate for those connections.)

Yes! Save Mayport Village and the local shrimping industry. Yes! Find a way to make the cruise terminal more efficient. Bring in the tourists. Take their money for a couple of days and send them on.

Old 05-12-2008, 08:06 AM

2,689 posts, read 3,935,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WitchDoctor View Post
I think that they should find a way to preserve and encourage the shrimping industry to stay where it is and grow while still moving the cruise terminal over in that direction.

I have to say it is a crying shame that the US has more coastline than any other country in the Northern hemisphere and we buy our shrimp from Thailand. There is something seriously wrong with that.

If I had to pick a spot to move the cruise terminal to, I'd put it on the South end of the turning basin East of Dame's Point Bridge. (Extend St John's Bluff North of Fort Caroline. Start building on the corner.)
The terminal needs to be East of Dames Point Bridge to allow taller ships to use it.
It needs to have good road access from other modes of transportation. Some passengers will fly in from out of town. They won't be happy if they have to ride a potato chip shuttle all the way to Mayport. There is room at my proposed site for several hotels, which should be a part of the complex as well.
Laws need to be passed that make it mandatory for the cruise ships to hook up to the city sewer and run off shore power while they are in port. (They would have to pay full rate for those connections.)

Yes! Save Mayport Village and the local shrimping industry. Yes! Find a way to make the cruise terminal more efficient. Bring in the tourists. Take their money for a couple of days and send them on.
you're stuck in the past, the days of shrimping and cute ( they really aren't) fishing villages are gone, the numbers just don't allow shrimping to be viable anymore.

Old 05-12-2008, 08:14 AM

859 posts, read 3,604,638 times
thought they want to build more condos there

Old 05-12-2008, 11:03 AM

236 posts, read 1,081,961 times
I'll gladly drive from the westside to Mayport to buy better quality, freshly caught seafood from the sea rather that buy farmraised loaded with who-knows-what "poolfood" that has probably been living in recycled water in a foreign country.

If more people thought like I did, the numbers would support it and the villages would be "cute".

Old 05-12-2008, 11:06 AM

2,689 posts, read 3,935,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WitchDoctor View Post
I'll gladly drive from the westside to Mayport to buy better quality, freshly caught seafood from the sea rather that buy farmraised loaded with who-knows-what "poolfood" that has probably been living in recycled water in a foreign country.

If more people thought like I did, the numbers would support it and the villages would be "cute".
you're right but people seem to want low prices versus high quality, look at wal mart as an example

Old 05-12-2008, 11:43 AM

859 posts, read 3,604,638 times
Try avoid eating fish at restaurants and buying from supermarkets then, majority of them are farm raised in foreign countries. On top of the, it's a global issue with over fishing from natural resources. Farm fishing might be the only solution to some specifies in order to preserve natural resources and to meet demand. Just matter of who's farm it is.
Haven't seen wild caught salmon at Costco for a while now too.

I'll be more than happy to pay for fair price on good, fresh Mayport shrimps.

sorry for OT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville