Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2008, 05:57 AM

2 posts, read 5,475 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone

My life-partner and I relocated to Jacksonville from Boston in 2005. We came here for a change of pace, warm weather, and so that I could finish school. I graduated from FCCJ on 5/3/08 with an Associates of Applied Sciences Degree in Legal Studies.

About Jacksonville: For the most part, we like it here, although there are many things about the northeast that we miss. Fortunately, we do get opportunities to go "home" quite frequently. We purchased a condo here last year in Kendall Town (off 9A) and so far, it has been a good decision. As with anything, there are always issues that need to be addressed and dealt with when living in a larger condo style community, but as we are city people, it is never a problem in getting things resolved.

For people wondering about relocating to Jax, there are many positives. There are wonderful museums, live theatre, restaraunts, and always something to do. Of course there is the beach, but you are close to Amelia Island and St.Augustine.

We chose the southside/kendall town/regency area to live, because it is walkable, accessible to the airport (a short 15-20 minute ride) and we can get anywhere from here in a short period of time.

I can't speak to the school system, although we have a close friend here in Jax who is a Duval County School teacher. Her husband is in the military and they are from upstate NY.

If you want any suggestions about where to live, places to check out and stuff like that, please let me know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2008, 08:46 AM

1,641 posts, read 5,013,120 times
Nice post, Scott from Boston! Congrats on graduating, and on the nice post about Kendall Town. Welcome to the forum!

Old 05-13-2008, 05:24 PM

6 posts, read 22,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott from Boston View Post
Hello Everyone

My life-partner and I relocated to Jacksonville from Boston in 2005. We came here for a change of pace, warm weather, and so that I could finish school. I graduated from FCCJ on 5/3/08 with an Associates of Applied Sciences Degree in Legal Studies.

About Jacksonville: For the most part, we like it here, although there are many things about the northeast that we miss. Fortunately, we do get opportunities to go "home" quite frequently. We purchased a condo here last year in Kendall Town (off 9A) and so far, it has been a good decision. As with anything, there are always issues that need to be addressed and dealt with when living in a larger condo style community, but as we are city people, it is never a problem in getting things resolved.

For people wondering about relocating to Jax, there are many positives. There are wonderful museums, live theatre, restaraunts, and always something to do. Of course there is the beach, but you are close to Amelia Island and St.Augustine.

We chose the southside/kendall town/regency area to live, because it is walkable, accessible to the airport (a short 15-20 minute ride) and we can get anywhere from here in a short period of time.

I can't speak to the school system, although we have a close friend here in Jax who is a Duval County School teacher. Her husband is in the military and they are from upstate NY.

If you want any suggestions about where to live, places to check out and stuff like that, please let me know.
Hey scott I'm from jersey moving the family to jax for the same reasons.my daughter will attend FCCJ north campus next fall(nursing),then transfer to UNF.I've been looking into Mandarin for being closer to hospitals and because people say is more family oriented, but maybe I should consider the 9a area too.I'm going to homeschool so schools are not a concern.Commute to FCCJ north is.I just need a safe area that the kids can ride their bikes.Do you think kendall/regency would be good a good fit?what zip code is it?How far from FCCJ north?

Old 05-13-2008, 06:42 PM

2,689 posts, read 3,943,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayla123 View Post
Hey scott I'm from jersey moving the family to jax for the same reasons.my daughter will attend FCCJ north campus next fall(nursing),then transfer to UNF.I've been looking into Mandarin for being closer to hospitals and because people say is more family oriented, but maybe I should consider the 9a area too.I'm going to homeschool so schools are not a concern.Commute to FCCJ north is.I just need a safe area that the kids can ride their bikes.Do you think kendall/regency would be good a good fit?what zip code is it?How far from FCCJ north?
Kendall is what I call a transitional area, it is so-so, it might be ok for 20 somethings but not so great for families, a better area would be near the school, the ICW area, especially kernan near beach blvd are some lower priced apts or homes, the area is fairly safe and close to both FCCJ and UNF

Old 05-13-2008, 09:25 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,370,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayla123 View Post
Kendall Town is really nice, but I can't picture kids riding their bikes there...it's a dense, busy area (condos/townhomes/apartments/commercial).

But, once you get down the road a bit, that's where the single family homes are and the neighborhood streets where the kids can ride their bikes.

If you want to stay near I295/9A for your commute to the FCCJ north campus, you can do that and find a nice house in a nice neighborhood.

Check out zips 32246 & 32225.

These zips will keep you near I295/9A, but also give you plenty of nice, family neighborhoods to choose from. You'll also be right near the FCCJ South campus on Beach Blvd.

Mandarin is nice too, but it's much further south and will add to your commute time if you're heading to the North Campus...32246 & 32225 will give you what you're looking for at the same/similar price points plus easier access to the beach and the easier commute to FCCJ North.

Old 05-14-2008, 03:48 AM

1,641 posts, read 5,013,120 times
You might also want to check out zip 32223 and 32257 for Mandarin. It is a family friendly location, but the commute might be a little more than you are looking for. If you are looking to buy, you might want to get with a Realtor to help you narrow all this down.

Old 05-15-2008, 11:30 AM

6 posts, read 22,621 times
thanks for the zip codes.we plan to buy in a year or so, but for now I want to have a feel for the area and of course an easier commute for my daughter.It looks like that either I295 or 9A the commute is about 30 minutes.I think it comes down to which neiborhood would be good for the kids(5 girls and 1 poor boy lost among them...)

Last edited by Kayla123; 05-15-2008 at 11:34 AM.. Reason: speling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville