Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 01:53 PM

353 posts, read 1,144,127 times

Advertisements

So after we move down to jax we want to have our yard fenced in. I asked or construction supr. who our builder uses for fences. He told me they only use Silverman Fence and they do a great job. Anyone ever dealt with them? Anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks....
The other "RR"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2008, 01:58 PM

859 posts, read 3,608,053 times
Wood, vinyl, barbwire chicken fence, what are you looking for and how much
Any restrictions from HOA?
Construction business is slow, so get all the names you can and get bids and references. Ask neighbors.

Old 05-15-2008, 01:59 PM

353 posts, read 1,144,127 times
Yeah...HOA.... I believe (off top of my head) white PVC or black aluminum only. I'd day 95% of the fences in the neighborhood are the white PVC ones... only 1 or 2 black aluminum from what i have seen...

Old 05-15-2008, 02:16 PM

70 posts, read 360,961 times
You can try Forever Fences. We did not get a fence but they put up the majority in our community. We also met with them for a quote and they were very professional. Not overly pushy in the sales.

Old 05-15-2008, 02:16 PM

154 posts, read 643,982 times
Typically in newer HOA communites black aluminum fencing is for houses with lake lots and white vinyl privacy fencing is non lake lots.

Old 05-15-2008, 08:17 PM

17,833 posts, read 33,037,139 times
I have used Best fence for 2 fencing projects I was involved in both had the black aluminum installed
very pleased with how they handled the whole project start to finish
Diana in the office was a pleasure to deal with

Old 05-15-2008, 09:12 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,148,977 times
Whichever company you go with, just make sure that achitectural approval is obtained in advance. And city permits, if required.

Old 05-16-2008, 11:04 AM

754 posts, read 2,806,218 times
Stay away from AAA Fencing. They...how do I put this forcefully, yet tactfully?..."have suction"!

Old 05-16-2008, 11:28 AM

6,875 posts, read 11,194,066 times
Smile Fences -

We did the dark aluminum - just around the pool - we were told the white causes a glare??? So far, all good.

We used to have a screened in patio but Wilma took care of it; we are on a lake and no one put back their screens. It makes the home with more light and my children voted - no screen.

Old 05-16-2008, 08:02 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,366,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
We did the dark aluminum - just around the pool - we were told the white causes a glare??? So far, all good.

I did a portion of a fence in black because I did not want to block the view. The black nearly disappears against the greenery behind it. Along the sides I did wooden privacy (neighbors).

Black recedes, White moves forward...go with black if you want visual depth/distance.

I didn't use Silverman for that fence though, I used American Fence, and I would not use them again. The fence was okay, but one of their staff members was not. He didn't like that I was paying by credit card (which had been previously "cleared" by the salesperson ). So we had a fight about it...he threatened to come pull up my fence...I said 'come on, I'm waiting'.....

Silverman has a good selection of metal and vinyl, I went to their warehouse/showroom about 6 months ago. I was looking at their Jerith fences - Jerith is a very good quality fence and Silverman is a distributor. I also priced out Silverman to go all wood, but they came in at $8000-$10000 depending on a few details. I went with a small independent guy who built the same fence and did an amazing job for just under $4000. So, watch for the pricing at Silverman . They have a big warehouse now and a staff they have to make payroll for...their prices have gone up from what I knew of them before. They do build good components though if anyone wants to buy wooden fencing and put it up themselves - I'd still shop them for this.

So....

Silverman: Good fence quality, prices have gone up - get comps for sure
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
View detailed profiles of: