Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2007, 11:32 AM

11 posts, read 62,772 times

Advertisements

It's close to JAX, that's why I put it here.
Tell me about Orange Park and Green Cove Springs.
I know the schools rate in the top 16% nationally.
What's the cost of living and home prices like? I noted the closer you get to the Eastern part the more expensive it is, but land and homes are pretty cheap down in the SW corner in Keystone Heights.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2007, 08:06 PM

495 posts, read 2,321,988 times
Keystone is a nice area. Low crime, very conservative, rural with lots of lakes.

Jobs will be a consideration. A real long commute to Jax from Keystone.

Old 01-02-2007, 09:25 PM

43 posts, read 208,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wacahootaman View Post
Keystone is a nice area. Low crime, very conservative, rural with lots of lakes.

Jobs will be a consideration. A real long commute to Jax from Keystone.
Keystone is very nice. A very small town and a great place to raise a family. You pretty much have to commute to Gainesville or Jax for a job though. Jax is about 50-60 miles, and traffic is brutal at rush hour. Gainesville is about 30 miles. Clay county schools are very good, especially Keystone.

Old 01-05-2007, 10:04 AM

2 posts, read 50,849 times
Clay County is very nice, but getting less nice by the year in my opinion. I've lived in NE Florida for 8+ years, at first in Jax and for the last 6 years in Orange Park. Anyone who moves here should be aware there are not many high paying jobs here in Clay County. This makes almost all of northern Clay County a bedroom community for Jacksonville/Duval County.

The problems with this are increased congestion, especially on US 21 [Blanding Boulevard] and US 17[Main Street] as commuters head north to work. I've spent upwards of 60 minutes in stop and go traffic as I drive north to Route 295, and my drive from where I live to 295 is less than 10 miles. New housing developments sprout like mushrooms to the south of me and make the drive times much more lengthy. I don't want to seem like a Jeremiah here, but any people thinking of coming to Florida need to be aware of this.

As for education here its quality is currently good, but, again in my opinion, declining. I have an 11 year old in the 6th grade who is currently bored out of his skull as his math teacher has had to downgrade her expectations several times this school year and last as the level of knowledge of incoming students declines. His homework assignment yesterday dealt with finding the perimeter and area of simple polygons [rectangles and squares]. In the 6th grade! Next school year I believe he and his sister will be going to private schools as I believe they will be woefully unprepared for college and the job market. I would really like to hear from parents and residents who have had positive experiences with the educational system here. I could really use it.

There are some positives to living in Clay County. People here are by and large very friendly, and the cost of living is very low, especially for renters. Taxes and insurance on houses are climbing, and will most likely continue to do so over the next several years and the cost of infrastructural upkeep rises. I suggest renting for a year to see if you like the area rather than jumping in and buying a house. I don't know much about living further south in Clay County so can't speak about life in Green Cove Springs or Keystone Heights. It is generally cheaper the further south you go, though.
Again, all this is backed up by my somewhat informed opinion, so take it with a grain of salt and do as much research as possible before making a move.

Old 01-10-2007, 08:10 PM

11 posts, read 62,772 times
Actually, I'm seeing a lot of cheap land prices around Keystone Heights, high and dry. Land/Home packages are relatively cheap on the outside of town. 1.5 acres anda nice doublewide can be done for $110,000 complete. Insurance is the only issues there. As far as communting, the job I'm looking at is with the Sheriff's office so the only commute is from my house to the car outside, with drives to Green Cove Springs.

Old 01-15-2007, 07:29 AM

43 posts, read 208,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mk1964 View Post
Actually, I'm seeing a lot of cheap land prices around Keystone Heights, high and dry. Land/Home packages are relatively cheap on the outside of town. 1.5 acres anda nice doublewide can be done for $110,000 complete. Insurance is the only issues there. As far as communting, the job I'm looking at is with the Sheriff's office so the only commute is from my house to the car outside, with drives to Green Cove Springs.
Sent you a private message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville