Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2009, 03:09 PM

2 posts, read 5,698 times

Advertisements

We had over 2000 near fatal shootings last year. One of our Jag football players was shot 16 times and survived only because the truma doctors at Shands Hospital saved him. They also saved 86% of the over 2000 shot or knifed. Of all the murders in Florida one out of ten are in Jacksonville. Get your head out of the sand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2009, 03:15 PM

2 posts, read 5,698 times
NYC Latin Rose

Please stay in NYC. You will never be happy here. Your idea of a North Florida without discrimination is not realistic in your lifetime or of your grandchildren.As to visiting Springfield after dark with a real estate agent wear a bullet proof vest. Schools we are LAST in the Nation.

Google crime in Jacksonville. Maybe that will wake you up.

Old 12-12-2009, 03:47 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,277,446 times
2 posts, both virtually identical to the other brand new poster "Birthchild"

Someone has an agenda, that's for sure!

Hmmm....

Old 12-12-2009, 08:05 PM

2,740 posts, read 5,505,718 times
My God people the original poster was just stating that the murders usually are NOT random. Why do you have to always attack everything people write on the forum??? Get over yourself. He was just throwing out information.

Old 12-18-2009, 10:31 PM

63 posts, read 140,818 times
I live in a town of less than 20k people. There are robberies, beatings, and people getting capped all the time here. Mostly over meth or whatever, that seems to be an underlying theme for everything around here, at any rate, the crime rate in Jax doesn't bother me that much. Postin here has been an education and a pleasure to read, and some of the advise has been SOLID.

I can understand the panic over several of the crimes, espeicially that Thompson girl (rip), but that is not an isolated incident. It happened in a town I was living in in 1994 here in SC with the Susan Smith case. Well maybe not the same, but you get the idea.

I am a proud gunowner, and believe everyone should take steps for self defense, even if you aren't one who believes in firearms, there are other measures to take and of course pray to God, Allah, Buddah, that guy down the street with the fetching hat, whatever, that you never have to use it.

Ps, I love Jax, that's why I want to move there, I keep reading about Southern this, Southern that, I've yet to hear a Southern accent down there. But I will admit the BBQ was suprisingly decent. Not a patch on ours of course (thats pride right there), but good enough. Im kidding they used a mustard based sauce which is what I grew up on.

Old 12-18-2009, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullbay Dasher View Post
We had over 2000 near fatal shootings last year. One of our Jag football players was shot 16 times and survived only because the truma doctors at Shands Hospital saved him. They also saved 86% of the over 2000 shot or knifed. Of all the murders in Florida one out of ten are in Jacksonville. Get your head out of the sand.
Its also less than 2% of the population there going by your rough numbers.

Old 12-19-2009, 11:26 AM

611 posts, read 1,456,066 times
I lived in NW Jax, for about a year. Jax has an UNUSALLY hugh number of Crackheads. Where there are crackheads, there is crime. The big churches downtown, and the streets lined with labor pools are like a welcome mat for crackheads. I lived there in 2006, in the heart of 32209 zip code. The churches give out free breakfast, lunch and dinner to homeless people (of whom alot are crackheads) A high number of crackheads, means more drug dealers are needed, creating a cycle of DRUG related homicide. Also there are WAYYY more homeless shelters in Jax than in Orlando or Tampa. Solution? Roll up the welcome mat, create jobs that hire felons, so they dont have to sell crack, problem solved. Shelters should be for people who fell on hard times, not for people who are spending all their money on drugs and/or alcohol. Also, did you all know that a quart of malt liquor is cheaper in Jacksonville than anywhere else in Florida (only on the NW and East side, of course)

I rode through my old neighborhood a few months ago, I noticed that Palm Terrace ( A nasty, horrible, poorly built housing project) was closed up, and it seemed like some things were looking up for the better.

Old 12-19-2009, 03:25 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,210,572 times
I haven't noticed a high number of crackheads. Crackerheads, yes, though- LOL! Honestly, I saw more open crack smoking when I visited Boston than I have here in Jax.

A man just was murdered for letting the air out of his girlfriend's tires and then backing up into a police car with this lawnmower trailer when trying to drive off. The po po is a little heavy handed on the trigger here in Jax. Probably a matter of time until the feds check us out and then things will get better.

Paul 313- Don't be dissing our BBQ, now..... mustard has no place in BBQ, IMO!

Old 12-19-2009, 06:29 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,277,446 times
duttygal,

there hasn't been a murder in Downtown Jax's uban core in 2 years. fyi. Which is frequented by homeless.

Old 12-23-2009, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIF View Post

Paul 313- Don't be dissing our BBQ, now..... mustard has no place in BBQ, IMO!
Oh yes it does, and the place I ate at RibShack had a mustard based as well. At any rate it was good. I do not like ketchup based bbq, but cider and cayanne have their places as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville