U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 05:13 PM

20 posts, read 94,599 times
Default no credit check apartments

hello, i need an apartment in jacksonville soon or im going to be homeless with my 2 small children. my husband left and he didnt pay his child support cause my rent to fall behind. im in chicago now but i want to move back to JAX

Old 05-20-2008, 05:27 PM

705 posts, read 1,457,804 times
I am not too sure of apartments that will not do credit checks. What you can always do is apply for Section 8, they will help you out with finding a place and funding your rent. When apartments get a Section 8 tenant, they will still pull credit, but they expect it to be bad, that is why you would want HUD to be behind you. Here is more info HUD in Florida

Old 05-20-2008, 08:41 PM

94 posts, read 287,629 times
I am not sure if we can post certain info here but I know of a lady renting without app/credit fees here @ Williams Walk. If you want let me know and I can give you her number. Check out the condos site: www.williamswalkcondo.com (broken link)

Old 05-20-2008, 08:50 PM

2,143 posts, read 5,166,563 times
How do you plan to pay for this apartment?

Old 05-20-2008, 10:39 PM

8,204 posts, read 23,492,940 times
If funds are that tight, you might be better off staying in Chicago.

Jacksonville is very car-centric and our social services are extremely limited here, this is a city where someone can fall between the cracks easily, I'm afraid. Florida cities are going through some big cutbacks right now, so support, if needed, could be very hard to come by.

It's pretty commonplace for a landlord to check your credit, they may not make you pay a fee to do so - they may cover the cost themselves - but they're probably going to pull your credit. They're handing you the keys to something of great value to them, their investment. They want to know you can pay faithfully each month (as they have to do to their mortgage company).

Best of luck to you and your children, I hope you can find stable housing soon.

Old 05-25-2008, 04:18 PM

20 posts, read 94,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilybeans View Post
How do you plan to pay for this apartment?

by getting a JOB?

Old 05-25-2008, 05:04 PM

10 posts, read 38,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malissawoods View Post
by getting a JOB?
Do you already have a job lined up?

I've been planning a move to Jax for some time but the job situation is not coming together. Companies and temp agencies out there seem to prefer local candidates.

It's too risky, IMO, to move and THEN try to find employment. I'm assuming apartment applications will require the name of your current employer.

Old 05-25-2008, 07:30 PM

9,342 posts, read 16,164,004 times
Not a good idea to move here without a job unless you have some savings to live off for 4-6 months or have a friend that you can stay with. Even if you had enough saved for the first month's rent and deposit, with kids, you'll need to pay for child care just to go look for a job. And even if they are older, moving into a new neighborhood, I don't think it would be a good idea to leave them alone until you all get the lay of the land.

Old 05-27-2008, 08:12 AM

754 posts, read 1,752,045 times
Check the classifieds and look for a private owner (and individual or a married couple) renting out their property (apt., condo, townhome, or house). Oftentimes, they don't do credit checks, so long as your deposit checks clear the bank.

Old 05-27-2008, 09:25 AM

1,251 posts, read 2,221,700 times
Do you know people here who could help? Do you own a car?? Are you prepared to being forced to commute around the massive land sprawl that is Jax & be out more than average on gas??? Have a job lined up????

These are the things you gotta ask yourself. If you have family/friends already in Chicago that can help with the kids & possibly living arrangements, you have access to public transportation, know someplace to work, etc, then honestly it may be in your best interest to stay in Chicago in the meantime.

Chicago all things considered isn't as expensive as other major cities similar to it. Jax seems cheaper until you realize what other fees go into your day to day life here. I know you're probably looking at FL as a great tropical escape & probably wanna just get as far away from your current situation as possible, but since kids are involved & you have no job or living arrangements, thats the reality of things.

We'd love to have you, thats not what I'm saying, but I'd hate that you came here with great expectations & were forced to live in the ghetto or had to file bankruptcy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville