U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2007, 12:55 AM

11 posts, read 55,582 times

Advertisements

Another area to consider is Macclenny or Glen St. Mary (Baker County) to the West of Baldwin. Land prices are still reasonable and has a country atmosphere. We have lived here since 1988 and love it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2007, 12:12 AM

121 posts, read 762,211 times
I would not recomend the move. 1) $upport for schools in FL and Jax in particular is low historically. 2) SAT scores of students in FL with parents of income of over 100k is the same as scores of students with much lower incomes, 70k, in the northeast (MA). That is telling us not the family environment but the facilities/resources/faculty of the educational system in Florida is well below the NE/NY/NJ level. The economy in the NE/NY/NJ is diverse with a large component of professionals. The component of professionals in NE Florida is substantially lower and the economy substantially less diverse. Compare the want-ads from the two areas. This is a service driven economy that perpetuates low wage earning families and understandably has lower academic achievement as compared to other school systems elsewhere. Put simply, if the local politics is not driven by a substantial professional population, politics will seek the lowest common denominator for a political constituency. You will be in a minority in Jacksonville. The University of Florida, the best institution in the state, is approximately 25th among all state universities, and not in the top 50 overall. But Florida is the 4th most populous state. Need I say more?

Old 02-18-2007, 08:40 PM

2 posts, read 5,345 times
Default Rankings for UF

This is in response to some stats on the University of Florida that were stated incorrectly in this thread...

According to US News and World Report, the University of Florida is ranked #47 among national universities (public and private). It is tied for 13th with five others among the public universities.

Engineering:

It's Undergraduate Engineering program was ranked 30th among national universities (public and private)and ranked 17th among public universities. A few individual departments were ranked in the TOP 10 (public and private) for Graduate, Undergrad or both programs (Agriculture, Environmental, Materials, and Nuclear).

It is #26 among national universities (public and private) for it's College of Engineering Graduate programs and it is ranked 15th among public universities.

Business:

U.S.News & World Report Undergraduate Rankings 2007
#29 Overall
#18 Among Publics

Specialty Rankings Overall
#12 in Accounting
#14 in Finance
#19 in Management
#9 in Marketing
#13 in Quantitative analysis
#12 in Real Estate

Among Publics
#7 in Accounting
#9 in Finance
#14 in Management
#7 in Marketing
#7 in Quantitative analysis
#9 in Real Estate

BusinessWeek Top Undergraduate Programs 2006
#47 Overall
#20 Among Publics

SAT score ranking
#20 Overall
#7 Among Publics

Last edited by chinesecrested02; 02-18-2007 at 09:17 PM..

Old 02-19-2007, 11:40 PM

121 posts, read 762,211 times
Ok, I stand corrected. 47th instead of 50th. Tied for 13th, but really there are something like 24 schools ranked higher.

Old 02-20-2007, 08:46 AM

2 posts, read 5,345 times
You said not even in the Top 50 overall not 50th as you are trying to say now (BTW- ONLY 25 states even made it into the Top 50 and Florida is one of them). Translation: 25 other states do not even have a Top 50 school. It is an accomplishment to be in the Top 50 of all private and public schools in the entire country.

As for just the public schools, how does tied for 13th with 5 schools equate to having 24 school public schools ahead of them. That does not add up, as 12 plus 5 is only 17 and the next school listed after those tied for 13th is 18th. Really, you are just trying to make Florida sound more negative than it really is. That is your own issue. The facts speak for themselves.

Last edited by chinesecrested02; 02-20-2007 at 09:42 AM..

Old 10-08-2011, 10:40 PM

5,185 posts, read 7,144,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken2zz View Post
Have you been to Jacksonville during rush hour?

You don't know me but please take my advice DONT LIVE BY THE NAVY BASE AND THE APARTMENT COMPLEX MANY OF THEM LIVE IN

NEVER GET A PARKING SPACE AT NIGHT AND THE TRAFFIC IS MESSED UP

IE; BLANDING Blvd exit on 295 and south from there
Parking space at night? What does that mean exactly??

Old 10-08-2011, 11:07 PM

3,863 posts, read 9,120,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyiMetro View Post
Parking space at night? What does that mean exactly??
I believe he is referring to getting a parking space at your apartment complex, near your unit is difficult. Due to so many vehicles of your neighbors and their guests taking them all before you get home.

Old 10-08-2011, 11:10 PM

3,863 posts, read 9,120,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daedalo View Post
Ok, I stand corrected. 47th instead of 50th. Tied for 13th, but really there are something like 24 schools ranked higher.
But really that also means there are over 1000 schools nationwide ranked lower too. Most of which didn't even make the list.

Old 11-13-2012, 03:25 PM

5 posts, read 7,697 times
Never been to Jacksonville. We are having to move there very soon due to my husband's work. We are a great family. My husband and I are both college educated. Our children are young and advanced academically. They also love their sports (soccer, surfing, ballet, and cheer). We will have to rent a house. NOT looking for an apartment or condo. We can afford about $1000 to $1200 per month for rent. We will need 3 or 4 bedrooms. I've been doing research and there doesn't seem to be much to choose from in that price range. And crime seems to be a huge problem in Jacksonville and surrounding areas. Sex Offenders and Rape seem to be a huge problem from what I've found in statistics online. We will have 1 day to look at places and choose our house. We need a crime free neighborhood with great schools. Can someone please recommend a good area close enough for my husband to get to work in the southern (Greenland) area of Jacksonville. We have to move there soon and we will need a great neighborhood for our family. Thank you in advance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville