Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 09:25 AM

44 posts, read 162,292 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by apanda View Post
That is what I expected to hear. Thanks for the info!

I like to go in the Fresh Market for special Christmas goodies. Only place in town I have found eatable flowers for decorating foods. I have found some things there to use for my medieval food group.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2008, 09:33 AM

Is there somewhere on the forum to post a list of specially grocery stores - gourmet type of stores, that one might not know by name to find in a phone book?

Old 12-04-2008, 08:30 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,446,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat_herder View Post
Is there somewhere on the forum to post a list of specially grocery stores - gourmet type of stores, that one might not know by name to find in a phone book?
Not really. You're welcome to start a fresh thread (we've had a few in the past), but we are only supposed to have one sticky thread at a time, so there's no real way to save it anywhere special. It would still make a great reference though that we can search after it leaves the first page . -mod

Old 12-07-2008, 12:44 PM

870 posts, read 2,178,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
Not really. You're welcome to start a fresh thread (we've had a few in the past), but we are only supposed to have one sticky thread at a time, so there's no real way to save it anywhere special. It would still make a great reference though that we can search after it leaves the first page . -mod
The way some of the threads have re-surfaced, maybe that thread will show up on the front page every few weeks or so.

So, who is doing (or did....I don't remember when it was offered) the tour that Whole Foods offered? Anyone going on Wednesday for the Grand Opening?

Old 12-07-2008, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagFan27 View Post
The way some of the threads have re-surfaced, maybe that thread will show up on the front page every few weeks or so.

So, who is doing (or did....I don't remember when it was offered) the tour that Whole Foods offered? Anyone going on Wednesday for the Grand Opening?
Tour a grocery store? That's new.
But I'm definitely waiting for them to open. I get out to Mandarian a few times a month.

We've been decking the halls around here and I need to reward myself. LOL

Old 12-12-2008, 11:00 AM

Well, we went to the grand opening of the Whole Foods Market in the afternoon. I loved the outside building design and the floral department by the first door was fantastic.

For me in a scooter it went down hill from there. I realize that it was just the sheer amount of people in the building for the opening, I couldn't get to any of the wonderful looking counters or food displays. But by the time I was half way through the store I was shaking from the rudeness of the people cutting in front of me causing me to have to halt or hit them. Scooters don't have brakes all you can do is realease the "forward" control and hope it stops before it hits the people that just cut in front of you. When you have 14 people (by count) in 5 minutes, it is nerve racking. By the time I could get out of there all I could do was sit out front and shake and cry for several minutes from I could even gather enough control to get to my car.

I will try again in a few weeks. Of what I could see it did look wonderful.

Old 12-12-2008, 11:42 AM

1,255 posts, read 3,486,788 times
I also was there on opening night. VERY crowded/pushy for everyone, whether in a scooter, on foot, etc. But not terrible overall for the mass amount of people crammed in that store. We got through pretty well. It's a bit bigger than some of the others I've been in.

I must confess also that I've gone 3 days in a row now. For one because its relatively close & I can just pick up some food to go from their awesome deli & coffee bar. Thats the thing I really missed about having a Whole Foods nearby. Everything they have out to self serve is just so good & the quality/selection is excellent.

It was getting kinda old going into Publix strictly to pick up deli stuff & choosing between their 10 different styles of fried chicken & nothing else.

Old 12-13-2008, 11:49 AM

9,367 posts, read 25,203,960 times
I just came back from my first trip and WOW! I had been thinking that they would have a smaller version here in Jax, but it is just great. The hot food bar alone is worth the trip..but then, the trip for me is just 1.5 miles Wonderful, wide variety of produce and meats. The deli... well, what KerryB said!

I just ran in to pick up a cake for someone and use my $5 off coupon, but left with a bit more, but didn't take the time to do real shopping... The hot brisket bbq by the pound and shrimp Thai curry and a side of eggplant found their way into my cart, along with other goodies.

Those who go- don't forget our friends at Picasso Pizza, between WF and the Office Depot. Maybe grab a bite before shopping at WF (you know what they say about shopping for food while hungry!) The CD pizza patrol really liked it and many of us go with our families, as well. All freshly made dishes- lasagna, other pasta entrees, beautiful, fresh salads (I like the goat cheese w/strawberries on wild greens), desserts. If you like the quality of Whole Foods food, I think you will appreciate Picasso's menu and the pride the owners take in preparing it.

Whole Foods was worth the wait- I'm already looking at recipes to try some of the specialty veggies that I saw there.

Old 12-13-2008, 12:45 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,008,871 times
I saw the ad in Folio Weekly. I *so* envy you guys.
The gelato alone makes me ache to take a trip down south.
Maybe one of these days...

Old 12-13-2008, 01:07 PM

870 posts, read 2,178,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIF View Post

I just ran in to pick up a cake for someone and use my $5 off coupon, .

What $5 off coupon?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville