U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 10:18 PM

625 posts, read 1,052,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by radioclown View Post
Wait, there are armadillos in Jacksonville? I thought it was just snakes and really farking large spiders.
If you do get a chance to whack an armadillo, go for it. Tastes alot like rabbit....just harder to clean
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2008, 10:31 PM

8,204 posts, read 23,995,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mawipafl View Post

[IMG][/IMG]
Like others have pointed out, because there is a tunnel, I'd say it's a mole.

I have moles that dig from time to time and when they run into cement they just follow along the edge like yours did.

I just tamp down the tunnel with my foot. I'm only worried about the grass roots getting dried out from being pulled up from the earth, otherwise I have no issues with the moles.

If there was constant mole activity, then you'd want to check if you have a high grub population and if so, address the grub issue.

I've had armadillos too and they just rip up a chunk of grass, no tunneling.

Old 06-03-2008, 10:43 PM

7,953 posts, read 7,103,582 times
it is likely an armadillo but could be a mole if you see any tunnels. I don't like the idea of killing the poor creatures. I have one living in my backyard and there is enough room for all of us.

Old 06-03-2008, 10:44 PM

8,376 posts, read 20,530,522 times
Quote:

Thoughts anyone?
Most likely the Florida Burglar.

Old 06-04-2008, 07:01 AM

2,981 posts, read 7,694,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
Like others have pointed out, because there is a tunnel, I'd say it's a mole.

I have moles that dig from time to time and when they run into cement they just follow along the edge like yours did.

I just tamp down the tunnel with my foot. I'm only worried about the grass roots getting dried out from being pulled up from the earth, otherwise I have no issues with the moles.

If there was constant mole activity, then you'd want to check if you have a high grub population and if so, address the grub issue.

I've had armadillos too and they just rip up a chunk of grass, no tunneling.
Up north, grub infestation would be indicated by dying grass. Would I see the same thing here with St Augustine grass?

Yesterday afternoon's pounding rain collapsed the tunnels and mounds, and they're not back this morning.

Old 06-04-2008, 07:13 AM

859 posts, read 2,487,666 times
Quote:
Up north, grub infestation would be indicated by dying grass. Would I see the same thing here with St Augustine grass?

Yesterday afternoon's pounding rain collapsed the tunnels and mounds, and they're not back this morning.
yup same thing.

Old 06-04-2008, 07:22 AM

17,834 posts, read 21,657,425 times
maw
It is those golfers from the other side of your trees that came looking for their golf balls

I am in agreement with the "mole" call
looks like he was digging away, ran into the road block of the patio made a left and when he reached the area with out grass did a little "happy dance" which left the mound

we get them every once in a while and like riv I just stamp it back down

Trust me when I say you will get a "bazillion" "home remedy" suggestions on getting rid of moles but before you go out and waste your money on the, for example vibrating windmills(if vibrations really worked they would be no moles near highways or roads), bottles of "mole go away" etc they do not work the only possible way is the harpoon trap but then you have to place it over the tunnel and hope he decides to go back through

Old 06-04-2008, 09:45 PM

8,204 posts, read 23,995,274 times
Quote:
Yes, eventually. The grubs are eating the roots of the grass, so the grass will first weaken, then decline, then die...it takes a while.

Sometimes you'll find an area, like an irregular patch in the lawn, where the grass may be a little yellow, the blades may be thinner, it doesn't really grow as high as the rest of the grass...it's just "weak" looking.

If you have those signs, you can look for grubs. I just peel up a section of the grass and look for these fat white worms (sort of caterpillar size).

A good long term treatment is Milky Spore (look at Gardens Alive online, they carry it). Shorter-term, for immediate results, you can spot treat that one area with a grub product (it's a poison, but you don't need to put it all over the lawn), Bayer makes a good one that only needs one light application.

Once your lawn is healthy and strong, the grubs really don't hurt the lawn anymore, and you'll never really get rid of them all anyway - they're everywhere. Milky Spore is really the only way I've ever heard to build a true "boundary" on your property to prevent the infestation of grubs.

Grubs are the juvenille form of June bugs, by the way...so they're a pest in every stage of their lives ! Apparently they're delicious though, just ask your mole .

Old 04-29-2014, 12:42 PM

1 posts, read 333 times
Found a mound yesterday just like the poster described in almost an exact location next to a cement car port in a barren area. It measured about 6" in dia. and rose slightly conical to about 4" with a small hole about 1/2" in dia. just off center.

I flattened it with the golf-cart and a few hours later a new one started about 6" next to it. I could see the sand being pushed up and it looked as if it was chewed or moistened. I dug a spade full and turned it over quickly, but nothing alive was found. No apparent tunnels. The ground all around seemed very soft. I mixed some fire ant killer into the soil and packed it back down. This morning, a new mound was going up where the old one was. I'm sure it's not ants. I poured some gasoline down the hole and tamped it flat. Never saw the like? Any ideas?

Old 04-29-2014, 02:36 PM

481 posts, read 240,235 times
I'm glad this post re-surfaced as I'm seeing the same thing in my yard. I can't seem to see any "life" whatsoever near the holes but surely this has to be a decent sized animal (mole?).

Was going to call a pest control company unless someone has a quick fix other than trying to fill the holes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville