Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2008, 06:51 PM

2,679 posts, read 11,731,195 times

Advertisements

My father needs to replace his dentures. Is there an inexpensive or more economical place to get a set in Orange Park or Jacksonville? What about the UF College of Dentistry?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2008, 05:46 AM

131 posts, read 621,540 times
Please be very careful when looking just for inexpensive dentures. The UF College of Dentistry will make a wonderful set of dentures at a reasonable fee, but the drive there may make it less of a value. Typically, at a dental school, many appointments are needed to treat patients, because they are learning. At an experienced dental office it goes much faster. There are inexpensive dentures out there. However, becareful when choosing based only on price, because dentures with a poor "fit" are VERY painful to the patient, rendering the denture almost useless, and you may find yourself paying for a whole new set of dentures elsewhere. If finances prohibit a more extensive investment, then I would urge you to speak with the UF College of Dentistry first UF | College of Dentistry : Welcome. Hope this helps.

Old 06-15-2008, 07:35 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,107,768 times
titaniummd
your only about 45 mins from where you are in OP to UF

when I was living in Phila I used Temple dental school because a friend of mine was going there and asked me to help him out . The work was great

Old 06-15-2008, 10:20 AM

2,679 posts, read 11,731,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmileDoc View Post
Please be very careful when looking just for inexpensive dentures. The UF College of Dentistry will make a wonderful set of dentures at a reasonable fee, but the drive there may make it less of a value. Typically, at a dental school, many appointments are needed to treat patients, because they are learning. At an experienced dental office it goes much faster. There are inexpensive dentures out there. However, becareful when choosing based only on price, because dentures with a poor "fit" are VERY painful to the patient, rendering the denture almost useless, and you may find yourself paying for a whole new set of dentures elsewhere. If finances prohibit a more extensive investment, then I would urge you to speak with the UF College of Dentistry first UF | College of Dentistry : Welcome. Hope this helps.
Good point. Thanks, Smile Doc.

Thanks, Karla.

Old 09-17-2008, 09:19 PM

3 posts, read 65,980 times
Default Cheap Dentures

Quote:
Originally Posted by titaniummd View Post
My father needs to replace his dentures. Is there an inexpensive or more economical place to get a set in Orange Park or Jacksonville? What about the UF College of Dentistry?

Thanks.
You will find several licensed general dentists and prosthodontists in
Orange Park or Jacksonville on the http://www.denture4less.com network.
As a member, they will save you 25%-80% on denture work, such
as denture replacement, relining etc.

Old 03-30-2010, 03:20 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,479,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaadmd View Post
Our practice proudly provides Affordable Dentures® and related denture and tooth extraction services. We are located in Jacksonville, FL, and opened in March 2007. Each year we treat over 2500 denture patients who travel from Jacksonville, St Augustine, Fernandina Beach, and many other communities in the surrounding area.
Adrian A. Attkisson, DMD is a General Dentist and the Practice Owner of this Jacksonville location. He graduated from University of Florida, College of Dentistry. Based on many years of valuable dental experience, Dr. Attkisson and his staff are proud to offer professional, compassionate care to patients that visit this practice.
Dr. Attkisson’s dental center also has an on-site dental lab that fabricates new dentures and provides repairs and relines, often with same day service. Being able to provide dentures in a day is a significant advantage, especially for patients who have traveled far distances. The on-site lab also eliminates the need to use outside commercial labs, therefore helping to keep costs low.
Our lab technicians are highly skilled professionals that have crafted thousands of dentures. Their training and experience is an asset to Dr. Attkisson’s practice and gives you the confidence that your denture is being fabricated locally in Florida.
Jacksonville Affordable Dentures Florida Location - Affordable Dentures
Just curious - what's the difference between the "Economy Dentures" ($375) and the "Custom Dentures" ($650) mentioned on your website? Robyn

Old 03-30-2010, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by titaniummd View Post

Thanks.
I agree with SmileDoc. I am a dental basket case (my "teeth" - I have implants -cost more than a small Lexus). (On the bright side - I have sent several of my dentists' kids through college ). In addition to what SmileDoc said - when you get a new prosthesis - and every time you get a new lining - you have to "tweak" things so there is no friction/rubbing (which - as SmileDoc points out - is extremely painful). May require a few visits - because it isn't always obvious instantly that the fit isn't perfect.

This is my prosthodontist. Missing Teeth, Joint Dysfunction, Cosmetic Dentistry, Nidal S. Elias, DDS, MS, Jacksonville, FL He is not cheap - but he is excellent. You might consider setting up a consult with him. At a minimum so you can get an idea of what the "high priced spread" costs and looks like. In addition - Dr. Elias is an Assistant Clinical Professor at the Jacksonville Shands Dental Clinic, where he teaches Dental Residency students about various prosthodontic topics. So - if you decide not to use his services - he can give you information about the pros and cons of getting work done at Shands.

I don't know about your Dad's or your financial situation - but perhaps you're in a position to help him out somewhat with this important medical expense (it's not like he wants an iPhone).

Also - I don't know how old your Dad is - or how well he drives - but it's a pretty long drive from OP to Shands - and the I-10/I-95 interchange area has been a construction mess for years. Also - the area around Shands isn't so wonderful. My father - who makes a hobby out of trying to save a buck - used to go to the VA over there. And he concluded perhaps a year ago that it wasn't worth the time or effort. Robyn

Old 03-31-2010, 08:14 AM

Today's FTU:

UF to close Jacksonville dental clinic that serves uninsured | jacksonville.com

Old 04-05-2010, 03:53 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,203,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaadmd View Post
Each affiliated Affordable Dentures® practice wants you to have the best denture you can afford. That's why we offer you a choice of three styles of full dentures, each style having its own distinct advantages.
Economy Dentures

The Economy Denture is the most affordable denture and is selected by many patients. It is processed by our on-site lab and individually fit for you. The dentist and lab technician will determine the size, shape and look of the teeth, based on your needs. The Economy Denture is available with same-day service.

Economy dentures are made from pony teeth and are very durable, but have a loose fit.

Custom Dentures

The Custom Denture is made with more expensive teeth for a more natural-looking denture. The Denture teeth are set in a wax base so you may try them in to see how the denture will look before it is completed. You may make changes to suit you, consistent with your dental needs. After you have approved the look of your Custom Denture, the lab will custom finish your denture in the permanent acrylic base material. It's like designing your own smile!
The Custom Denture is often available the same day, however in some cases it may take longer. The practice will inform you of their delivery times.

Custom dentures are made from wax teeth from Cracker Barrel. The process involves placing them in warm water so that they will mould to your gums, allowing same day service.

Premium Dentures

The Premium Denture is the most natural-looking denture. It is made with the best denture teeth available, which are impact, wear and stain resistant. As with the Custom Denture, the teeth are first set in wax for you to try-in. Changes may be made at the time of try-in. After you have approved the look of your Premium Denture, the lab will then custom finish your denture in the permanent acrylic base material. Again, it’s like designing your own smile.
The Premium Denture is also often available the same day*, however in some cases it may take longer. The practice will inform you of their delivery times.

* dependent upon availability of suitable cadaver teeth

Appointments are not necessary, but if you are interested in receiving SAME DAY SERVICE, you need to register with the front desk staff as close to opening time as possible. Please understand, if you want same day service for dentures you need to be prepared to be available for the dentist and their staff throughout the day.
Sounds like a good place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville