U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-20-2008, 08:30 PM

472 posts, read 1,138,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricketfan View Post
Here's my point. I also listened to John McCain's speech yesterday on "public financing" which is also relevant. Would an Obama supporter post his speech? I think not. Ron Paul gave a speech on "the right to bear arms". Would a McCain supporter post his speech? I think not.
You assume too much. Given I was not looking for McCain at the time, he is not posted here. If Fred Sanford, of television's Sanford & Son, had said it, his face would be the one speaking to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricketfan View Post
So stop the b.s. about separating the message from the messenger. If the message is a trojan horse to promote your candidate, so be it, as long as the message has merit. Nothing wrong with that but why pretend. Better still, let's post on the Presidential Elections 2008 sub-forum where we can all have a go at each other.
I listen to hypocrites all day, and even they give me good advice. My alcoholic uncle tells me eveyday that alcohol is bad for the body and that no one should drink as much as he does; and trust me, he ain't tryna quit no time soon. So yes, it is possible to separate the message from the person... if you WANT to. With WANT being the operative word.

If you still don't get that, then it's for a lack of trying.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2008, 11:10 PM

8,204 posts, read 24,014,524 times
I don't know, I really thought we could discuss this .

The title of the thread is "Finding common ground", the speech is about religion and beyond religion, and we live in Jacksonville where religious roots run deep.

We can leave it at that, we don't have to discuss anything, we can just let the thread die, but it would make for a more interesting discussion than "what neighborhood should I live it?", wouldn't it?

Old 06-21-2008, 10:06 PM

754 posts, read 1,800,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gradco2004 View Post
I'm sure that was very fun to write. The least I could do is be courteous enough to act offended. See below:

" Man Jon, you really put me in my place. Who did I think I was anyway, asking you to stay on the topic that I created and all. Man, I just won't learn."

[/sarcasm]

What-evs. What is with you and these invisible power struggles? Get a life... I'm moving on with mine!
Blah, blah...what's the word I'm looking for? Oh, yeah,now I remember...blah.

Old 06-22-2008, 09:41 AM

16 posts, read 42,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post

We can leave it at that, we don't have to discuss anything, we can just let the thread die, but it would make for a more interesting discussion than "what neighborhood should I live it?", wouldn't it?
What she said...I'd love to have a frank discussion about the role of religion here in Jacksonville. How it differs from other areas....and is it changing.

I haven't seen the video so this is all IMHO. Having lived in the midwest and west coast I have never seen so many churches like there are here in JAX! And the assumption that I'm a Bible believing Christian was a bit strange.

My theory is this area had many tory refugees from the Revolutionary War...people who preferred the status quo and that has been the tradition in this area for a long time. Now, more of us transplants are coming in and what does that mean for the role of religion here?

Old 06-23-2008, 02:23 PM

1,251 posts, read 2,282,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post

The title of the thread is "Finding common ground", the speech is about religion and beyond religion, and we live in Jacksonville where religious roots run deep.

Discussions about politics & religion always get heated.

"Believe in what I do!"

"No, you believe in what I do!"

Blah, if everyone was truly more accepting of one another & respected each other's beliefs, we wouldn't have these battles. It's been going on since the beginning of time & it won't ever stop. Entire wars are fought over it, so we're no different here. Even though the so-called "Christians" are supposed to be the ones who don't judge people, they still do, as do the non-believers.

We're only human I suppose.

Old 06-23-2008, 09:16 PM

272 posts, read 315,103 times
Darn - now I can't hear the sound. Urgh!

Last edited by technobarbie; 06-23-2008 at 09:24 PM..

Old 06-23-2008, 10:44 PM

8,204 posts, read 24,014,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerryB View Post
Discussions about politics & religion always get heated.

"Believe in what I do!"

"No, you believe in what I do!"

Blah, if everyone was truly more accepting of one another & respected each other's beliefs, we wouldn't have these battles. It's been going on since the beginning of time & it won't ever stop. Entire wars are fought over it, so we're no different here. Even though the so-called "Christians" are supposed to be the ones who don't judge people, they still do, as do the non-believers.

We're only human I suppose.
All true, and that's what was so refreshing about the speech. Someone was finally saying we need to rethink this, we need to be inclusive to everyone and not just cater to the perceived majority. The trickle down effect to cities such as Jacksonville could really do a lot for relations between the people and relations between the people and their government.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville