Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Social loop access in Jacksonville, St. Augustine Florida area, Starbucks, join social clubs, children’s activities that involve parents, United Way, Metro Jacksonville, sports and entertainment news

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 08:33 AM

134 posts, read 439,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
You sound like you are suffering from depresssion.
Dear DailyJournalist,
I am sure that you are probably right, but somehow I have to make it through this without all those medications, I've tried them ALL and they didn't work for me. God, my friends from back home, and my family from back home are all that I have to make it through this. If you have any other suggestions they are indeed welcome.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2008, 04:46 AM

5,969 posts, read 9,560,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HParr View Post
Dear DailyJournalist,
I am sure that you are probably right, but somehow I have to make it through this without all those medications, I've tried them ALL and they didn't work for me. God, my friends from back home, and my family from back home are all that I have to make it through this. If you have any other suggestions they are indeed welcome.

Thanks!
The truth is that I think you will be much happier back home than in Florida. It seems like family and friends are very important to you (and they should). I think a move back home should be in your future plans. Florida is a very transient state which leads to a lack of community that makes it very difficult for many to build long-lasting friendships. For those of us that come from states with strong communities it can be extremely difficult. If you have no choice but to stay here I would suggest possibly joining a YMCA and attending the many activities they offer with your children throughout the day. It will make the time pass and hopefully make your time here less depressing.

Old 07-06-2008, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
The truth is that I think you will be much happier back home than in Florida. It seems like family and friends are very important to you (and they should). I think a move back home should be in your future plans. Florida is a very transient state which leads to a lack of community that makes it very difficult for many to build long-lasting friendships. For those of us that come from states with strong communities it can be extremely difficult. If you have no choice but to stay here I would suggest possibly joining a YMCA and attending the many activities they offer with your children throughout the day. It will make the time pass and hopefully make your time here less depressing.
Dear DailyJournalist,
Thanks for taking the time to add your thoughts. Currently, I have no choice but to be here. My husband loves it here so much (he grew up in Miami). He never wants to leave here, ever. He says that he feels more at home here than he has in years. Our home in Georgia may be sold and closing within 2 weeks, so we will have to go back up there and get everything moved down here. We have found a new home here in a gated community that is gorgeous, and I am so determined to make this work. You were correct in what you said about how my friends and family are important to me and my gosh I love my friends and family, they are all such wonderfully awesome loving good people. But then again I thought that mostly everybody loves their friends and family. I miss them like you wouldn't believe, but then again I haven't ever been away from them, except for on vacations, etc. I think that this may be an opportunity for me to get myself together to try to grow in a big way and make it through something without everyone holding my hand. (That is not to say that I don't appreciate and thank God each and every day for every single family member and friend that I have.) I feel like I may be a better, stronger person for it, at least I hope that I will be. The encouragement that I can do this and make a happy life for us here would be awesome. The schools in St. Johns County are so awesome. I feels sure that they will prepare my kids for college better than our schools back home, our schools back home weren't as strongly geared towards helping each child make it to college. I think that maybe Georgia will always be home to me and maybe even to my kids and we will visit and our friends and family will visit us(our friends just left here a few hours ago to head back to Georgia, they were here for the 4th of July holiday weekend.). Bur Lord I pray that we can do this for my husband. The work opportunity that he has here is the best one that he has ever had in his life and he loves it. Some of our friends from Georgia were here for this holiday weekend and they just kept saying that they wished that we would come back home. I almost feel like the hard work that I've done for the past month that we've been here trying to keep my kids encouraged and trying to encourage myself that I can do this was almost washed down the drain, because now that they are gone I feel like I have to start over with trying to keep myself and kids psych'd up about being here. I have to say that I love the tropical palm trees and being able to drive 20 minutes and be at the beautiful ocean and the schools and my husband loving work. My goal is to find something important for me to love here and to make sure that I keep my kids happy about being here. I've tried one church and it was great, I've just got to try a few more to compare to find the perfect fit for us. I know that I can't do anything with out God in my life, I will crumble and fall without God and I know that for sure. I silently talk nonstop to God when I go to sleep at night, in fact that's about the only way that I can get to sleep. I just close my eyes and pray that he holds on to me and helps me make it through this each and every day. With God I can do this, I know I can! And with God my kids will be fine, I know that they will!

Thanks,

Old 07-07-2008, 04:51 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,113,982 times
hparr

When I moved here 16 years ago it was my 21st move so I was no stranger to moving to places where I didn't know a lot of people. My sister lived here and I knew a few of her friends but they were all married with kids and I was single so we had different lifestyles so it was as if I was starting from scratch.
Yes the first few month I was homesick. I missed my friends and the things we did and the places we went, but then I decided, you know what I was the only one stopping myself from settling in and making this my new home. So I got out and explored, I took the time to get to know my new home and the folks that lived here.
I was also dealing with my friends from back home telling me how much they wished I would move back, so I felt pulled in two directions. I finally told them that I loved them for caring so much that they wanted me to move back but it really wasn't helping me to try and get settled here. They turned that caring into encouragement to help me want to get involved and settled here.

Fast forward 16 years and you would pretty much have to pry me out of here.

You mentioned that your in the position that your able to be home with the kids.
What a great chance for all of you to explore the area together. Does your neighborhood have a pool and recreation center? If so this would give you a chance to meet your neighbors. Also check to see if they have monthly activities.
Taking a walk or riding bikes around the neighborhood in the evening is another good way to meet your neighbors.

You also mentioned that your looking for a new Church home,from what you have described you might want to check out Crossroad UMC on Gate Parkway.
A couple of the teachers I work with as well as a few other folks I know go there, it sounds like what you said your looking for in a church . They have contemporary services and tons of different activities.
As a few folks have mentioned you could also get involved in some volunteer activities there are many in Jax. Especially once the kids go back to school you can look into volunteering there which will give you another chance to meet folks. I do a lot of volunteering and have met many wonderful friends this way.

If you look at this move as an adventure and a chance to expand your circle of friends as well as the great opportunity it is for your husband career wise it may help to make the transition easier.

Good luck and welcome to the area
I look forward to reading your posts on the new things you discover

Old 07-07-2008, 10:02 AM

Smile Thanks Karla with a K!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karla with a K View Post
hparr

When I moved here 16 years ago it was my 21st move so I was no stranger to moving to places where I didn't know a lot of people. My sister lived here and I knew a few of her friends but they were all married with kids and I was single so we had different lifestyles so it was as if I was starting from scratch.
Yes the first few month I was homesick. I missed my friends and the things we did and the places we went, but then I decided, you know what I was the only one stopping myself from settling in and making this my new home. So I got out and explored, I took the time to get to know my new home and the folks that lived here.
I was also dealing with my friends from back home telling me how much they wished I would move back, so I felt pulled in two directions. I finally told them that I loved them for caring so much that they wanted me to move back but it really wasn't helping me to try and get settled here. They turned that caring into encouragement to help me want to get involved and settled here.

Fast forward 16 years and you would pretty much have to pry me out of here.

You mentioned that your in the position that your able to be home with the kids.
What a great chance for all of you to explore the area together. Does your neighborhood have a pool and recreation center? If so this would give you a chance to meet your neighbors. Also check to see if they have monthly activities.
Taking a walk or riding bikes around the neighborhood in the evening is another good way to meet your neighbors.

You also mentioned that your looking for a new Church home,from what you have described you might want to check out Crossroad UMC on Gate Parkway.
A couple of the teachers I work with as well as a few other folks I know go there, it sounds like what you said your looking for in a church . They have contemporary services and tons of different activities.
As a few folks have mentioned you could also get involved in some volunteer activities there are many in Jax. Especially once the kids go back to school you can look into volunteering there which will give you another chance to meet folks. I do a lot of volunteering and have met many wonderful friends this way.

If you look at this move as an adventure and a chance to expand your circle of friends as well as the great opportunity it is for your husband career wise it may help to make the transition easier.

Good luck and welcome to the area
I look forward to reading your posts on the new things you discover
Karla with a K,
I love it when people like you respond in such a way that I just smile from ear to ear while I read your message! Thank you so much! I appreciate your words of advice and experience more than you know. Every little bit of encouragement that I get really helps me along so much. We will definitely check out Crossroads UMC, I can't hardly wait. Others have told me to check out that church as well. We are living in a condo right now while I find us a new house somewhere (I've been looking in the 210 & Racetrac Road area), we've been here for about a month, my husband has been down here for about 5 months. There aren't many kids here and when we are at the pool I sort of feel like they wish that we would whisper every word that we say, sometimes my son will say look mom, like if he is walking on his hands in the pool or when he mastered the snorkling set that I bought him, I feel like the people at the pool wish that we weren't there disrupting there complete silence. But as I said this is just temporary and the condo that we are in is really nice and perfect on the inside while we are in this transitional state. You mentioned "your teacher friends", would you happen to be familiar with Hickory Creek Elementary School, or Switzerland Point Middle School, or Bartram Trail High School? I'm would love to know the local teachers personal opinion of those schools. I think that I have found a new house for us and those are the schools that my kids would attend.

Thanks again and I'm looking forward to chats with you!!!

Old 07-07-2008, 08:48 PM

870 posts, read 2,179,481 times
I have heard good things about the schools you listed, so go ahead and look in that area.

I have moved a lot throughout my life (Indiana, Illinois, Arizona, Nevada, Texas, and Florida), so I know it's hard to start out in a place and have it feel like home. My husband tells me to give it six months. The first six months are the worst, but after that, it will seem like home. The fact that your husband loves his job and is happy here is a big plus.

I've just always felt that where ever my family is, then I'm home.

Once you get your permanent house, things will become even better. You'll become involved in the neighborhood. Before you buy, see if you can talk to people who live in the neighborhood and ask about it. I remember we were worried that there would not be any children in our neighborhood when we purchased this house. HA! Once we moved in, we saw all of the kids. We laughed at ourselves that we had been worried. So, if you can drive around the neighborhood, or park and just walk around and talk to people, you can get a better feel.

Old 07-08-2008, 12:05 AM

Smile Thanks Jagfan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagFan27 View Post
I have heard good things about the schools you listed, so go ahead and look in that area.

I have moved a lot throughout my life (Indiana, Illinois, Arizona, Nevada, Texas, and Florida), so I know it's hard to start out in a place and have it feel like home. My husband tells me to give it six months. The first six months are the worst, but after that, it will seem like home. The fact that your husband loves his job and is happy here is a big plus.

I've just always felt that where ever my family is, then I'm home.

Once you get your permanent house, things will become even better. You'll become involved in the neighborhood. Before you buy, see if you can talk to people who live in the neighborhood and ask about it. I remember we were worried that there would not be any children in our neighborhood when we purchased this house. HA! Once we moved in, we saw all of the kids. We laughed at ourselves that we had been worried. So, if you can drive around the neighborhood, or park and just walk around and talk to people, you can get a better feel.
Thanks Jagfan, you definitely fit into that group of people on the City-Data Forum that post things that I love to read. I appreciate your words from experience. It's nice to know that people can relate or have been in similar situations and have made it through with flying colors. It's very encouraging! Parking and getting out and walking around and talking to people is a great idea, because sometimes we do ride through the few neighborhoods that we've been looking at and they seem a little lifeless and blah and that does worry me for my kids sake. Sometimes I know that I must sound like a big chicken and wimp, it's just that when it comes to my kids futures and their happiness, I don't care what I sound like, I don't like to play around with their futures, I just want to do everything in a way that will make things turn out the very best for them if I can. Thanks again!

Old 07-08-2008, 02:55 AM

353 posts, read 1,149,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
Tell hubby to back off! If he wants the house perfect he can do it himself!

Whoa whoa whoa! We've crossed the line now lil miss.... Man basher!

Hparr... I can relate. I work for 6 weeks at a time overseas and them I am off for 6 weeks. My six weeks off I'm pulling my hair out looking for stuff to do. I think once I get to Jax I am gonna get involved with something.... what I don't know....but something. I gotta stay busy during the day while the wifre is at work....

Old 07-22-2008, 12:57 PM

Default Are there any classy Country & Western Nightspots to go to here?

Are there any nice classy Country & Western Nightspots to go to here? I'm just wondering, I'm still in the "trying to learn my way around here" mode.

Thanks!

Old 08-13-2008, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HParr View Post
Are there any nice classy Country & Western Nightspots to go to here? I'm just wondering, I'm still in the "trying to learn my way around here" mode.

Thanks!
The reason that I asked this question was because I thought that my husband and myself could go out for a date night at some place like this and have a fun time. So if anybody knows of a nice fun place like this please let me know. It doesn't have to be a Country & Western nightspot, I like other kinds of music too, I just thought that it would be fun if I found the perfect place to take him to. I love to go dancing with him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville