Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 10:49 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,378,456 times

Advertisements

Kids getting on your nerves this summer?

Why not send them to Camp Tracey?

They can work as free farm labor, not attend school, not be allowed family visits, and they'll be sexually abused. But hey, at least they're out of your hair and you can be sure they're getting in plenty of church-time (especially with no pesky school in the way).

Do I sound disgusted. I am. This f-ing place should be shut down. How many kids have to be used and abused and their childhood stolen from them by these pedophiles hiding behind their bibles??

Oh, and don't think for a minute that the kids' parents don't know what's going on. I know one of these parents personally and she knew what she was doing. Only a cult does not allow family to have contact with their child after dropping them off.

It kills me to think of how this place profits on top of profits. They're a church, so they pay no property taxes, and then they use free child labor to make their sausages and whatever else they're making there, so their profit margin on the products is huge........I'm just so, so disgusted .

Here, in case you didn't know this hell-hole was in your backyard, here's their most recent case of abuse (it's far, far from the first):

Jacksonville.com (http://news.jacksonville.com/justin/2008/07/02/baker-youth-home-employee-charged-in-abuse/ - broken link)

Old 07-02-2008, 11:10 PM

472 posts, read 1,541,600 times
That article was difusting. That's right, difusting. That's F**king Discusting. How are these people allowed to do this time after time after time? I have so many thoughts running through my mind... I couldn't possibly be fair if I tried. Hope I don't get jury duty.

Old 07-03-2008, 12:52 AM

1,255 posts, read 3,476,687 times
There's a fine line between religion & cultism. I think they crossed it.
Quote:
Camp Tracey is a children's home dedicated to the salvaging and changing of the lives of at-risk youth. In America alone there are millions of young people enslaved by alcohol, drugs, prostitution, and other destructive elements. There are teenagers added to this number every day. Camp Tracey has reached, and will continue to reach, many of these at-risk youth. It is our goal to turn this desperate situation around with the aim and purpose of developing young men and women who are God- fearing, law-abiding and productive citizens.
And how exactly do they do this? I mean, are these people qualified to be doing this kind of work with kids?? I'm seriously doubting it. But hey, its church based right, so it's all good. No need to have any qualifications other than a big farm & The Bible.

Old 07-03-2008, 09:18 PM

Exactly Kerry .

And if anyone thinks this doesn't affect them, it does, in many ways. I mentioned their legal tax evasion, but there's another way they get over on taxpayers. Since they don't educate these kids while they're in their care (often for years), the kids have to test for their GED. Many of these kids end up in the Duval county school system through a special charter division.

So because this is a church, they're not held to any standard that requires them to educate the kids...they just end up throwing them back at the public and say "here, you educate them". But they sure don't miss a day of bible study .

I can't go into much detail, but I mentioned that I know someone who was sent to Camp Tracey and I was very against it from the beginning. I did the research and informed the parents of the issues of sexual and physical abuse and the signs of it being a cult, but the information provided was ignored .

What is hitting the news now is "old news" for Camp Tracey, these offenses are actually part of the Camp Tracey culture and it surfaces every few years.

There are better local options for kids at risk like Daniel and there is a small police-run organization as well (can't remember the name ?). But Camp Tracey needs to be shut down...let's hope this time is the time it finally happens .

Gradco, maybe we'll get lucky and end up on the jury .

Old 08-15-2008, 08:28 PM

Can't believe I didn't pick up on it before, but this reminds me so much of this South Park episode.

"Pray The Gay Away"

Old 08-15-2008, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerryB View Post
Can't believe I didn't pick up on it before, but this reminds me so much of this South Park episode.

"Pray The Gay Away"
The camp names even sort of rhyme . I love South Park for how they handle these subjects - it's funny, but the truth is so close to the surface.

I just think that non-professionals, no matter how well-intentioned, aren't equipped to set up a structure that supports these kids. Instead, their misguided ways end up doing incredible damage .

Old 08-15-2008, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
I just think that non-professionals, no matter how well-intentioned, aren't equipped to set up a structure that supports these kids. Instead, their misguided ways end up doing incredible damage .
What are their intentions though? I mean, they have to know they're not qualified to do this type of work & thus not REALLY helping these kids. Throwing bibles at a troubled kid isn't gonna fix them right up, but I'm sure they think it does & maybe even the kid does sometimes too. Even though they're not really "fixed".

The part that scares me is what they consider "at risk" kids or what are the "other destructive elements"?? Like, a teen that maybe tried alcohol or smoking once, or maybe even had sexual relations with their girl or boyfriend? Not condoning it necessarily, but isn't that pretty much part of growing up??

What probably happens is their overly-religious parents find out, send them to places like this & they mess 'em up good & proper. And thats not even talking about the supposed sexual abuse thats going on at some of these places. Thats a freebee. And so is the brainwashing.

And like the South Park episode, I don't even wanna think what the "confused" teens who know deep down they're homosexual have to go through at places like this. Boggles the mind.

Old 08-16-2008, 10:35 AM

The kid I referenced earlier in the thread, I can't go into details, but aside from a bit of trouble in school (he did break some rules), there were no other significant issues, they simply wanted him out of the home.

It wasn't even that the parents were overly religious, though they are of the same religion as the camp, I really think it boiled down to convenience and cost. They could have afforded better, but this was a cheap solution. These unregulated church-based camps can run their camps much cheaper, they don't have to pay for qualified psychiatrists, for example, so they can run on a fraction of the cost. They can just hire unqualified help of the same "good intentions" for $10/hr to "counsel" the kids .

I've thought a lot about this subject, long before I started this thread, and my best guess is that ego and greed play a big role with these camps. Their egos tell them that they know better than the professionals - which we know is completely delusional - and their greed tells them this is an easy way to make money. They play on parents' emotions (or lack thereof ) and they undercut the competition that really can do something for the kids .

Old 09-08-2008, 08:58 AM

1 posts, read 6,260 times
Can anyone help????

Both of my parents recently passed to cancer, and my mother STUPIDLY left custody of my brother to her "Friend." Well now this "friend" put my brother in this school. I haven't talked to him in 6 months. What do I do? How do I help my brother? How do I get custody of him? Can someone PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE point me to a legal forum, or in a direction that could help PLEASE???????? I don't know what to do to save him. I'm 28 years old willing to care for him, but I don't know how to do it legally. Please help.

If you like email me [EMAIL="Michaelozorowsky@hotmail.com"]Michaelozorowsky@hotmail.com[/EMAIL] thank you.

Old 09-08-2008, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozorowsky View Post
Can anyone help????

Both of my parents recently passed to cancer, and my mother STUPIDLY left custody of my brother to her "Friend." Well now this "friend" put my brother in this school. I haven't talked to him in 6 months. What do I do? How do I help my brother? How do I get custody of him? Can someone PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE point me to a legal forum, or in a direction that could help PLEASE???????? I don't know what to do to save him. I'm 28 years old willing to care for him, but I don't know how to do it legally. Please help.

If you like email me Michaelozorowsky@hotmail.com thank you.
I'm so sorry to hear that, Michael .

I wish I had an answer for you, but if someone else has legal custody, I don't know how that would work ?

Have you tried calling Jax Legal Aid and seeing if they can point you in a direction? They work in the areas of Youth Advocacy, Family Law, etc.:

jacksonville area legal aid - Service Areas (http://www.jaxlegalaid.org/v2/service_areas.html - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville