Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2007, 09:10 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,131,120 times

Advertisements

Tampa, Tampa, Tampa... And I live in Jax. Median age is younger because of military. Schools better in Tampa and salaries higher- so you can live in Tampa and afford to take trips to enjoy the change in seasons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2007, 08:58 AM

43 posts, read 207,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hereinfla View Post
Tampa, Tampa, Tampa... And I live in Jax. Median age is younger because of military. Schools better in Tampa and salaries higher- so you can live in Tampa and afford to take trips to enjoy the change in seasons.
Equal salaries...I'd pick Jax. Cost of living is better, and I like it a little better just because its more like the old south than the Tampa area.

Old 01-19-2007, 12:20 PM

5 posts, read 12,747 times
Thanks hereinfla and FLBoy for your feedback. It's obvious that people have their likes and dislikes. I'm not sure which way I'm leaning yet, but I'll hopefully make my decision soon. I like the change of seasons and old south aspect of Jax, but I would rather be on the Gulf side than Atlantic. It also seems to me there is a lot around Tampa, as far as other cities and things to do. What do you think?

Old 01-22-2007, 04:29 PM

17,455 posts, read 38,845,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cappy7 View Post
Thanks hereinfla and FLBoy for your feedback. It's obvious that people have their likes and dislikes. I'm not sure which way I'm leaning yet, but I'll hopefully make my decision soon. I like the change of seasons and old south aspect of Jax, but I would rather be on the Gulf side than Atlantic. It also seems to me there is a lot around Tampa, as far as other cities and things to do. What do you think?
I don't know that much about Jacksonville, I am sure it is probably a nice city - but just want to say that in Florida, do not count on any real "change of seasons" - we don't have that here, not even in Jax - you have to get up into Georgia before you see any real change.

I grew up in Tampa Bay Area - it is great here - you have lots and lots to see and do in Tampa, and a great job market for professionals. Plenty of young people in Tampa - University of South Florida, and junior college and private colleges here. My hubby works for Hillsborough county, project manager - great job. St. Pete and Clearwater are on the Gulf and have beautiful beaches, believe me the Gulf beaches are the best - some of the best in the world! And Tampa also has one of the best (if not the best) airports in the country. I also think the Gulf side is a little less vulnerable to hurricanes, but realize that anywhere in Fla. is fair game, but frankly so are a lot of other states on the Gulf and Atlantic Coasts.

Come check it out!

Old 01-23-2007, 10:53 PM

2 posts, read 5,478 times
I grew up and still live in jacksonville i dont know to much about tampa i have been around there a few times, but if you have children you will probably want to put them in private schools because we have a few schools that are actaully really nice and alot of our public schools are really crappy, ghetto and the kids cant learn much because its like a ghetto zoo and getting worse.

jacksonville has gotten alot bigger over the past few years and there is alot more of everything here now, and i love it here i have alot of fun you just gotta know where to go.

as for crime reguardless of what anybody tells you, alot of it is a bit random and its only getting worse.

as for wheather i like the wheather it is not hot all year around, and is a little seasonal but more mild then up north but its pretty nice and i love it here

Old 01-24-2007, 01:45 PM

25 posts, read 98,437 times
Default Not sure

Hello all, I felt the need to chime in here. I have lived in Tampa for over 10 years now and it is becoming very over populated, not much country here any more. There are sub divisions every where and no road infra-structure to support the growth. Culturally, the city is struggling - the better city for culture and activity would be St. Petersburg. The schools in Hillsborough County are horrific, I have two children in school and the focus is on FCAT and the bonus money the teachers get when their students make great scores from the test; not on learning and becoming well rounded individuals. Thus, we are leaving tons of children behind in the Tampa/Hillsborough School system. I live in the Tampa Palms area, stay away - the traffic alone will drive you crazy. It takes me almost an hour to get from my house to the University of South Florida in the mornings (and that's real).

I can't comment on Jacksonville, my husband has had a few business trips to Jax and seems to like it.

Good luck

Old 01-26-2007, 01:34 AM

13 posts, read 61,497 times
Default Spring Hill ....moving from it....

Cappy, I currently live in spring hill and let me tell you the commute to tampa in the early am could potentially be an hour or more depending on traffic and the route you take to tampa....also not a whole lot going on up here in spring hill ....the food is limited and the shopping as well .....all of the mall shopping is about 40 minutes down route 19 south in port richey and even then that shopping isnt that great. We loved it here when we moved from new jersey 3 years ago. we loved the small suburban atmosphere and the fact that it was reallllllll quiet only now its not so quiet and not that nice any more. My hubby is being transferred to jacksonville and he currently has an apt there until our kids are finished with this school year and our house sells and i tell you i can not wait to move ....i love jacksonville.....its so much better than spring hill ....shopping culture beaches not too touristy....but a bigger city than here. And yea the weather is a little cooler there than spring hill ....its hot hot hot all the time ....only a few weeks of cool weather ....as a matter of fact last winter i completely missed the winter by being in the hospital ...lol...my husband teases me about not being able to wait for the cooler air and then being in the hospital for the whole time...lol....anyway i would consider a closer look into jax too see if that may be more of what you are looking for.....i know if i would have considered that first when choosing to move to florida i would have moved to jax then......hope it helps....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville