U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 12:11 PM

7 posts, read 49,856 times

Advertisements

Hey there! I know it might be kind of lame, but I signed up just so I can ask this question. I've been kind of freaking out about it.

This saturday is my mother's birthday. I'm 16, and in the past I've had to rely on others to help me buy her gifts. However, this year is different. I have a license, and a job. I live with my mom and my older brother and she doesn't make very much money but she works hard. We never go out to eat; sometimes she goes with her boyfriend but she never goes out with me because she cannot afford to and I know she hates it.

So I want to take her out somewhere nice. I'm not talking applebees or fridays- I'm thinking along the lines of The Cheesecake Factory, Maggiano's, Ruth's Chris-- Money isn't important here, I've saved quite a lot, and then maybe go out to the movies (a thing she loves, but never get's to do)

The problem is, where to take her? My mom appreciates elegance, so I was thinking Ruth's Chris. Being a teenager, I don't really know the scoop on these sorts of things, so I signed up here. However.. I'm worried about going to Ruth's Chris- Not because of money, but because of my moms stomach. She had a gastric bypass a few years ago and while she can eat a wide variety of things, I THINK (I'm not too sure) that Steak makes her sick. I'm not sure, but I'm worried about risking it, and I don't know if they even offer much else.

Also- she's Italian and I've heard a lot about Maggiano's. The only problem is that we're from the north. And while I don't know Italian food very well, my mom does. She constantly refers to italian food in florida as "crap" and can't wait for me to grow up and take her home to get some of the good stuff. I don't think she's been to Maggiano's, but I know she's very picky. I know the calibur of food is probably amazing though, but I want her to be amazed.

And then theres the cheesecake factory. I went there once with friends and we all bought some cheesecake, and my mom told me jokingly that she wish I brought her back some. I know she likes it there, because we did have a discussion after I had gone and she said she wanted to go sometimes. That's my safe bet, but I want my mom to have an AMAZING night.

Basically, I want opinions. Also, remember- I'm a teenager, me and my friends don't really talk about fine dining. Is there anywhere else in Jacksonville I should consider? I have no idea what to do, only that I want to make the night special.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2008, 01:02 PM

870 posts, read 1,397,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinaatron01 View Post
Hey there! I know it might be kind of lame, but I signed up just so I can ask this question. I've been kind of freaking out about it.

This saturday is my mother's birthday. I'm 16, and in the past I've had to rely on others to help me buy her gifts. However, this year is different. I have a license, and a job. I live with my mom and my older brother and she doesn't make very much money but she works hard. We never go out to eat; sometimes she goes with her boyfriend but she never goes out with me because she cannot afford to and I know she hates it.

So I want to take her out somewhere nice. I'm not talking applebees or fridays- I'm thinking along the lines of The Cheesecake Factory, Maggiano's, Ruth's Chris-- Money isn't important here, I've saved quite a lot, and then maybe go out to the movies (a thing she loves, but never get's to do)

The problem is, where to take her? My mom appreciates elegance, so I was thinking Ruth's Chris. Being a teenager, I don't really know the scoop on these sorts of things, so I signed up here. However.. I'm worried about going to Ruth's Chris- Not because of money, but because of my moms stomach. She had a gastric bypass a few years ago and while she can eat a wide variety of things, I THINK (I'm not too sure) that Steak makes her sick. I'm not sure, but I'm worried about risking it, and I don't know if they even offer much else.

Also- she's Italian and I've heard a lot about Maggiano's. The only problem is that we're from the north. And while I don't know Italian food very well, my mom does. She constantly refers to italian food in florida as "crap" and can't wait for me to grow up and take her home to get some of the good stuff. I don't think she's been to Maggiano's, but I know she's very picky. I know the calibur of food is probably amazing though, but I want her to be amazed.

And then theres the cheesecake factory. I went there once with friends and we all bought some cheesecake, and my mom told me jokingly that she wish I brought her back some. I know she likes it there, because we did have a discussion after I had gone and she said she wanted to go sometimes. That's my safe bet, but I want my mom to have an AMAZING night.

Basically, I want opinions. Also, remember- I'm a teenager, me and my friends don't really talk about fine dining. Is there anywhere else in Jacksonville I should consider? I have no idea what to do, only that I want to make the night special.
I think Stonewood Grill on Baymeadows is a nice place. They have a variety of food.

Old 07-07-2008, 01:45 PM

147 posts, read 386,613 times
I'd stay away from a chain restaurant...try a restaurant that's owned locally. Blue Bamboo is wonderful and if you call ahead and tell the owner, Dennis, what you have in mind for your mom I know he'll recommend something she might like or even prepare something special. What a wonderful thing for you to do for her!

Old 07-07-2008, 01:52 PM

1,182 posts, read 2,750,863 times
Can't provide any input since I've never been to Jax, but wanted to post a message stating what a wonderful daughter you are! Your mom is obviously much loved.

Old 07-07-2008, 02:20 PM

705 posts, read 1,493,855 times
I have not yet gone to Maggiano's, but I would not take her to Ruth Chris', she won't do too well with steak. Blue Bamboo is nice, very cozy environment too. Cheese Cake Factory has something for everyone. Do you know what some of her favorite dishes are?

Old 07-07-2008, 05:29 PM

35 posts, read 135,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinaatron01 View Post

What a wonderful daughter you are!!

My first suggestion would be Giovanni's. It's very elegant and very authentic contemporary Italian - the owner is from Sicily, I believe. Welcome to Giovanni's Bar & Grill, Jacksonville's finest Contemporary Italian Cuisine in a stunning modern fine dining setting It has been a beaches institution since WAAAY before you were born. It is pricey, with entrees in the high 20's and up, but everything I have had there is delicious. I agree with the other posters, don't go to a chain. The Wine Cellar is another good locally owned place and also very elegant. The Wine Cellar Fine Dining in Downtown Jacksonville Your mom could get a variety of dishes there.

Happy birthday to your mom, and best wishes for a memorable evening! ~ Bonnie

Old 07-07-2008, 06:25 PM

1,145 posts, read 1,717,678 times
Default Very honorable intentions

Ok, not to brag, but I've eaten just about everywhere in Jax that there is, and I consider myself to be somewhat of an expert, self proclaimed if nothing else.

Here are my recommendations:

1. Bonefish Grill in Jacksonville Beach - the BEST Chilean Sea Bass in town, but anything you order here will be outstanding.

2. Dwights Bistro - Penman Road in Jax Beach next to Cinotti's bakery. Very high priced (more than Ruth Chris), but the food and atmosphere are very worth it.

3. World Grille on Beach Blvd. - Very unique menu with an awesome presentation

4. Caps on the Water - if you don't mind a little bit of a drive, head South on A1A and take her to eat right on the Intracoastal at Caps, which is before St. Augustine on the right, close to the North Beach Campground.

5. The Fish Company in Atlantic Beach (used to be the Tree Steak House). A little less expensive than the others, with a little louder atmosphere, but still a great meal.

6. Slider or Caribbee Key for an averaged priced tropical type atmosphere, both in Neptune Beach.

7. If Sushi fits your style, there is KanKi on Southside in Tinseltown.

8. For barbeque, I'd recommend Sticky Fingers in Atlantic Beach. Yeah, I know it's a chain, but there ribs are awesome.

Jeeeez...now I'm hungry, thanks a lot!!

Old 07-07-2008, 06:27 PM

1,145 posts, read 1,717,678 times
Default For Elegance

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakenStirred View Post
Ok, not to brag, but I've eaten just about everywhere in Jax that there is, and I consider myself to be somewhat of an expert, self proclaimed if nothing else.

Here are my recommendations:

1. Bonefish Grill in Jacksonville Beach - the BEST Chilean Sea Bass in town, but anything you order here will be outstanding.

2. Dwights Bistro - Penman Road in Jax Beach next to Cinotti's bakery. Very high priced (more than Ruth Chris), but the food and atmosphere are very worth it.

3. World Grille on Beach Blvd. - Very unique menu with an awesome presentation

4. Caps on the Water - if you don't mind a little bit of a drive, head South on A1A and take her to eat right on the Intracoastal at Caps, which is before St. Augustine on the right, close to the North Beach Campground.

5. The Fish Company in Atlantic Beach (used to be the Tree Steak House). A little less expensive than the others, with a little louder atmosphere, but still a great meal.

6. Slider or Caribbee Key for an averaged priced tropical type atmosphere, both in Neptune Beach.

7. If Sushi fits your style, there is KanKi on Southside in Tinseltown.

8. For barbeque, I'd recommend Sticky Fingers in Atlantic Beach. Yeah, I know it's a chain, but there ribs are awesome.

Jeeeez...now I'm hungry, thanks a lot!!

I just saw the part about your mom appreciating elegance...for that reason alone I would pick World Grille or Dwights Bistro from the above list.

Old 07-07-2008, 06:29 PM

8,204 posts, read 23,995,274 times
Tina,

What a well-thought out birthday for your mom ! She's going to be so touched. You sound very mature for a 16 year old .

There are some really nice restaurants in Jacksonville, but since we're not sure if your mom like Thai, Japanese, etc., maybe we should stick to the basics?

Maggiano's might not be "the greatest" italian food, but it does have nice atmosphere and you can walk around the Town Center before or after dinner, and that makes it more of an evening. You cold even walk over to the Cheescake Factory for dessert or a glass of wine (for her!) at The Grape. So I wouldn't rule out Maggiano's.

If she likes seafood, there's a nice seafood restaurant in the Town Center - Mitchell's Seafood Market. The interior is all done in dark wood - it's very old boy's club New York style. It's quiet and elegant.

For the movies, you might want to go to the Tinseltown theater. There are also some nice restaurants right by the theater. If she likes chinese, Bamboo Creek is right next door to the theater. I ate there recently and it's good.

Across the street from Tinseltown is Sangria House, it's Spanish food. It's a quiet little spot and the food is excellent, only the portions are really small.

Hope that helps, looks like you have a lot of good suggestions so far by all the members .

Old 07-08-2008, 05:32 PM

7 posts, read 49,856 times
When I was at work yesterday I got a lot of similar suggestions to the ones posted here. I think I'm going to take her to Maggiano's and the theater afterwords (we live about 10 minutes from Regal at the Avenues) and go watch Hancock or some other thing.. I've seen them all, she hasn't seen any. I know we'll have a blast but I like the option of being able to walk around afterwards at the town center.

however, a lot of the other resturants suggested sound very yummy... I'll have to go out to eat again some other time :P
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville