Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2008, 03:47 PM

2 posts, read 15,825 times

Advertisements

Hi There,

I exhausted the posts and did not see a thread like this, so if it is similar to another, I apologize in advance. My fiance has just received his orders: Mayport, FL. I have a 10 year old daughter who has been raised almost exclusively in Ocean Beach, San Diego.

OB is a very laid back place. The houses are cute and cottage like, the locals are very diverse, a lot of liberal pot-smoking hippies, surfers, business owners, gays and lesbians, fishermen, etc. The one main thing is the people, really mellow and friendly.

I am looking for a neighborhood like that. I do NOT smoke pot or do drugs of any kind, so I am not looking for anything like that. It is just pretty well known that there are a lot of pot heads in OB, maybe that is why everyone is so darn mellow. It is also pretty safe, in 8 years neither I nor any of my neighbors have ever experienced a crime.

So, does anyone have a suggestion for me? I know I wont find another place just like it, but I am hoping for something close.

Thanks,
Marisol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2008, 11:14 PM

21 posts, read 79,243 times
Default Beach Town

The only place that sounds like what you described is Daytona Beach. You might want to "google" the city and see if it appeals to you. Good luck.

Old 07-11-2008, 11:27 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,555,533 times
St. Augustine

Old 07-11-2008, 11:59 PM

62 posts, read 180,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by morganais View Post
OB is a very laid back place. The houses are cute and cottage like, the locals are very diverse, a lot of liberal pot-smoking hippies, surfers, business owners, gays and lesbians, fishermen, etc. The one main thing is the people, really mellow and friendly.

I am looking for a neighborhood like that.
Thanks,
Marisol
I moved recently from Orange County and know San Diego in general.
Great town. Not familiar with Ocean Beach, but it sounds very similar to Laguna Beach. You won't find that in Jacksonville. Here, diversity is tolerated to a point. The closest thing is in Riverside/Five Points/Avondale.....nowhere near the beach.

Maybe St. Augustine would be worth checking into. Mainly a tourist destination. Check out St. Augustine News Newspaper Information Florida

Old 07-12-2008, 07:57 AM

35 posts, read 226,744 times
The Riverside/Five Points area is the closest thing you will find for laid back, diverse people along with charming architechture.

The beaches here are full of people like you describe, but you will only find a quaint, village type atmosphere in the most pricey areas - east of A1A, where Neptune and Atlantic Beach meet.

Check out zip codes 32205 for Riverside, 32266 for Neptune, and 32233 for Atlantic.

Old 07-12-2008, 02:34 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,446,971 times
Plenty of potheads in Jax, not to worry Morganais!

I agree with the options listed above, check out the beaches (Atlantic/Neptune/Jacksonville), check out Five Points in Riverside, check out San Marco and surrounds (not so pothead-y, but cottage-y and laid back, zip 32207).

Budget might make some areas a better fit than others for you and there's also the commute factor. The beaches would have the best commute location to Mayport for your husband.

As a whole, Jax is a laid back city. There's a good live-and-let-live attitude that pervades the entire city, so you should have an easy time finding a nice, friendly neighborhood. Finding a cottage neighborhood tends to keep you at the beach or at the river, these are the core cottage/bungalow neighborhoods.

Old 07-14-2008, 05:46 PM

329 posts, read 1,275,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by morganais View Post
Hi There,

I exhausted the posts and did not see a thread like this, so if it is similar to another, I apologize in advance. My fiance has just received his orders: Mayport, FL. I have a 10 year old daughter who has been raised almost exclusively in Ocean Beach, San Diego.

I am looking for a neighborhood like that. I do NOT smoke pot or do drugs of any kind, so I am not looking for anything like that. It is just pretty well known that there are a lot of pot heads in OB, maybe that is why everyone is so darn mellow. It is also pretty safe, in 8 years neither I nor any of my neighbors have ever experienced a crime.

So, does anyone have a suggestion for me? I know I wont find another place just like it, but I am hoping for something close.

Thanks,
Marisol
St. Augustine Beach is the place you seek.

Old 07-15-2008, 02:36 PM

93 posts, read 287,468 times
Default Ob

I lived in OB for a year
La Jolla for 2
Coronado for 4
Cardiff for 2
Pacific Grove 3
Ventura 3
(Navy)

My knowledge of Jax is sketchy but i think you could check out Jax Beach-Neptune Beach-Atlantic beach. Bit of crime from what i heard but less than OB.
I think each town will have it's funky own personality that your looking for.

Not sure about north of the river mouth. I used to take a boat there surfing in the early 80s and there was nothing there back then.

St Augustine & Vilano Beach down south might be worth looking at too.
You will crack up at the home prices compared to San Dee.

Best of luck.

Old 07-17-2008, 01:13 PM
jmc

101 posts, read 862,611 times
I moved here from San Diego last year, too...lived in Pt. Loma for about 3 of my 6 years there. Yeah, nothing quite compares to OB here in good ol' Jax, but you could live in places like St. Augustine or Jax Beach, as mentioned above. That's interesting that you never experienced any crime there in OB...good to know, though. Make sure you go get some fish tacos down at that bar near the beach before you leave! You won't find ANYTHING comparable here in regard to fish tacos...the restaurant chain Moe's attempts to pull of a fish taco, but even Rubio's would be disappointed. Anyway, welcome to Jax!

Old 07-17-2008, 01:22 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,008,871 times
It's pretty mellow here in Fernandina, too--and not far from Mayport.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville