Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2008, 08:50 PM

30 posts, read 24,764 times

Advertisements

Just a very brief background, I am single, in my 40s, and drive a truck locally in Denver. I want bodies of water, ships, boats, and ferries. I am looking at three places: The Virginia Beach area, Tampa, FL, and Jacksonville, FL.Mainly I am looking at Virginia Beach and Jacksonville since they are on the eastern seaboard.Are there any immediate differences between Jack and V.B. that you can tell me about? Is one city (the virginia beach area is actually a collage of 6 or 7 cities) more maritime than the other, meaning boats and ships and lighthouses, etc? Is Jacksonville more desirable in your opinion than VB?My only interests are (possibly) sea kayaking, bike riding, and walking alongthe water front? Are these typical Jacksonville activities? In short, I amopen to any comparisons you can give me. I plan to move in September.Thank much. ps.. I am also open to other cities that might fit the bill... namely, a maritime environment, outdoor recreation, and truck driving jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2008, 05:35 AM

147 posts, read 559,158 times
I'm not at all familiar with VA Beach...but I do know that there will be many more trucking jobs opening up in Jacksonville with our port expansion.

You can certainly sea kayak here, sail, bike on the Baldwin Trail and various state parks, walking on the beach and along the Riverwalk is a favorite pass time of Northeast Floridians.

Old 07-14-2008, 08:45 PM

2,415 posts, read 4,243,451 times
Default Advantages of Jax

Quote:
Originally Posted by krab View Post
Just a very brief background, I am single, in my 40s, and drive a truck locally in Denver. I want bodies of water, ships, boats, and ferries. I am looking at three places: The Virginia Beach area, Tampa, FL, and Jacksonville, FL.Mainly I am looking at Virginia Beach and Jacksonville since they are on the eastern seaboard.Are there any immediate differences between Jack and V.B. that you can tell me about? Is one city (the virginia beach area is actually a collage of 6 or 7 cities) more maritime than the other, meaning boats and ships and lighthouses, etc? Is Jacksonville more desirable in your opinion than VB?My only interests are (possibly) sea kayaking, bike riding, and walking alongthe water front? Are these typical Jacksonville activities? In short, I amopen to any comparisons you can give me. I plan to move in September.Thank much. ps.. I am also open to other cities that might fit the bill... namely, a maritime environment, outdoor recreation, and truck driving jobs.
We have all those things you desire, and more. We have lower taxes, a lower cost of living, shorter, warmer winters and no state tax. I guess if you like snow a whole lot and paying a lot more of your hard earned money to the State, then V.B. should be your choice!

Old 07-14-2008, 10:59 PM

Thanks! (Cellson and Shaken) I think you've answer my question!

Old 07-14-2008, 11:07 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,446,971 times
There are a lot of boats in Jax and St. Augustine, so you'd see plenty of that here.

I don't think our ferry is doing too great, but we have a small shrimping industry in Mayport, lots of container business in our port (BIG ships! ), marinas, boat-building companies and so forth.

The river runs right through the center of downtown Jacksonville and there are always some boats on the river. The Intracoastal Waterway is in Jacksonville, St. Augustine and beyond.

There's a great lighthouse in St. Augustine:

St. Augustine Lighthouse & Museum: Working Historic Lighthouse and Maritime History Museum

Kayaking and other water sports are big here and there is no lack of kayaking locations. Here's just one:

Main Page - Big Talbot Island State Park » Florida State Parks

People love VB too, so I can't help you much there, I think you need to look at them both.

Old 07-15-2008, 06:56 PM

thanks riveree, this sounds like what I am interested in. I have to do more research on Jack before making the plunge. I have to make sure this is thebest place for me. I am also looking at Tampa.

Old 07-15-2008, 07:15 PM

1,781 posts, read 6,961,391 times
Quote:
thanks riveree, this sounds like what I am interested in. I have to do more research on Jack before making the plunge. I have to make sure this is thebest place for me. I am also looking at Tampa.

Jax from what I have seen on this forum has the least amount of complainers of the Florida major cities. Not sure why maybe there is less of a transient population there or maybe the quality of life is better/pay?

Old 07-15-2008, 10:41 PM

thanks for that perspective, Alphaman. Jack is described as the biggest city in Florida, but according to Cities Rated Alamnac, Tampa has a significantly larger metro population. Does Jack feel smaller than Tampa?

Old 07-16-2008, 03:55 PM

702 posts, read 2,184,717 times
Quote:
thanks for that perspective, Alphaman. Jack is described as the biggest city in Florida, but according to Cities Rated Alamnac, Tampa has a significantly larger metro population. Does Jack feel smaller than Tampa?
Land mass wise, we are. There are parts that make the city feel very small and others that have the "big city" feel. There is something for everyone.

Old 07-16-2008, 04:03 PM

1,781 posts, read 6,961,391 times
Quote:

I would say yes Tampa feels bigger some of that has to do with near by ST Pete Both cities have nice older areas, I like the more historical parts of a city rather then the new stuff.

Both cities have a kind of industrial feel to them also.

A good way to look around cities while sitting at home is use that google street view I find it very helpful.

The reason Jacksonville is the biggest city is because the city limits encompass almost all of duval county were as the other Florida cities only encompass very small parts of the county's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville