U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 10:31 AM

4 posts, read 9,384 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone!

I, along with 2 friends, are looking to move in November. We are from Wisconsin, in our mid 20s. Jacksonville is on our list of about 10 cities we're looking at.

One of my friends works on a golf course and just finished school for golf course management. So that's the kind of work he'll be looking for. I do administrative work, and my other friend does security at Target and will just be transferring. She does plan on applying for police officer jobs once we get settled in somewhere, however.

We're all looking for a place with nice weather and beaches. We had a painfully cold winter and are looking to get away from the below zero temps. Also looking for good nightlife, lots of people in our age group, etc etc. The big thing I'm personally looking for is a good music scene.

The lower cost of living really bumped JAX up on our list. We'd be renting a 3bd, and have been looking online at houses for rent that fit perfectly into our budget. Of course, we know nothing about the locations... Certain areas to stay away from?

Alright, I realize this is turning into a novel. Any and all feedback is GREATLY appreciated!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2008, 11:21 AM

62 posts, read 167,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by indecisiveamber View Post
Also looking for good nightlife, lots of people in our age group, etc etc. The big thing I'm personally looking for is a good music scene.
You've either got the corner of 1st St and Atlantic Blvd. at the beach for bars and what little music scene there is. These is no scene like Austin or Los Angeles. The average age at Ragtime is around the 40s and 50s. The bars across from it are a bit younger.

Your best bet is to check out Folio Weekly, Jacksonville and Northeast Florida's News, Opinion and Entertainment Magazine

Good luck.

Old 07-16-2008, 04:32 PM

1,781 posts, read 6,545,852 times
I would suggest South Florida but the cost of living is high some of the west coast cities have a good music scene like seattle and LA.

Orlando has a music scene also but the job market is bad.

Old 07-16-2008, 06:49 PM

8,204 posts, read 33,318,023 times
The beaches are popular with the 20-something crowd, but if your job locations are clear across town, that could make for a really long commute.

Do you know which Target location you roommate will be working at?

How about the Golf Course - any idea on the locations your other roommate is looking at?

Old 07-16-2008, 08:33 PM

238 posts, read 826,889 times
I love it here and think Jax has everything you're looking for...however, if you are really looking for a great music scene then consider Austin TX. (just moved here from Texas and went to school in Austin). There's no beach but the hill country and surrounding lakes are wonderful. It is a great town for 20-somethings too. Not to talk you out of JAX, but the music scene here does not seem comparable.

Old 07-16-2008, 09:31 PM

541 posts, read 2,142,690 times
If you're coming from a small or even large town in Wisconsin, Jacksonville is probably ok for you in your 20's. It is probably an improvement....especially if you want saltwater and hot, humid summers. If you are coming from a big city like New York, Boston, or Chicago then I think you will be bored out of your brain. My social life has a taken a serious hit after moving here in my mid 20's. I feel like it has been a waste of my life. But, I am a guy who likes to have a big social network and I like to have big city ammenities around.

The social network for single people in the 20's here is small. I have noticed that a lot of those people either grew up here or somewhere in Florida and just stuck around. They have no idea what else is out there.....and so they will tell you they love Jacksonville. Additionally, a lot of the people in their 20's here are already married. The culture here is different, people marry early. And, the excessive sprawl also makes it hard to hang out on a regular basis if friends live across town.

That being said, there is a small social network of 20 year olds here. But it is small and it is spread out....just like Jacksonville.

Old 07-16-2008, 09:40 PM

39 posts, read 63,843 times
Agreed. Jax was okay for me. But if you are looking for upbeat city action, it aint here.

It's a nice area with decent beaches and **** but:

1. Music scene sucks (despite the fact that it is the home of Lynryd Skynrd, Molly Hatchet, etc)

2. Downtown......seen more excitement at a turtle farm

3. Even the Beach area night life, while the bar scene beats downtown, it leaves a lot to be desired.

4. I never found the locals that accomodating. They're friendly in general conversation, but if they detect a yank in ya, they will keep an eventual distance. Very clicky social scene.

Old 07-17-2008, 12:05 PM

42 posts, read 144,416 times
i used to live in kentucky, tucson az and now in savannah, ga. We were looking for somewhere to live and we decided to visit jax. I wasn't really impressed with jax. It looked like a depressed and boring town. It was also very segregated, i had enough of that in kentucky and my horizons were opened in tucson, i hate segregated towns. If you're looking for diversity, jax isn't the place to go to, you should try south florida.
PPL are very "cliquey". I'm black and I'm gay, and even with the blk gay ppl they don't "like" you unless they "know" you. But that's kind of the whole thing with the south anyway. That souther shyt is overrated, I'm thinking about south florida, possibly miami area or tampa.

Old 07-17-2008, 02:31 PM

39 posts, read 63,843 times
Savannah is a pretty hip town, probably cuz of the tourist trade. More going on there than JAX.

Old 07-21-2008, 04:49 PM

5 posts, read 19,561 times
TAKE JAX OFF THE LIST!!

I moved to Jacksonville in my mid-20s. I went to college in Orlando, and knowing that Jax was a college town too & even bigger, I thought I'd love it just like I did Orlando.

It is definitely big, but as mentioned, sprawling. When you make friends with someone from across town, you tend not to see them much. Bars, music, and nightlife in general were disappointing to me, and are found only out at the beaches (downtown truly is a wasteland). Southside is a decent part of town; about 20-30 minutes to the beach, close to the college, and more safe in comparison. Also close to lots of shopping, golf course, and at least 2 Targets. However I wouldn't suggest Jax as the place for anyone to pursue a career in law enforcement.

Personally I loved living in Orlando; I always felt there was a lot going on. You are about 45 minutes from the beach (Daytona), but some people might think all the theme parks make up for that. As much as I loooooove the beach, I never had time to miss it when I lived there.

I've never lived in Tampa, but I've heard great things about it. Also a college town & closer to beaches than Orlando; you might want to look into it if you haven't. I'm curious about the other cities on your list ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville